This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I thought everything being handed to him destroyed his generation?
    No, it made it "great", in a position to judge all others.
    Here's the thing, the "great American generation" was the one before his, the baby boomers are NOT the great generation, they just got all the benefits, in a societal sense.
    Society wanted to protect the kids of those who had lost so much, so they made plans, legal, political, whatever because they had already paid in blood to keep those kids safe.
    This is what people like Annoyed do not understand, and possibly you yourself. IF you have no kids, there is no real reason to care about what happens next, and if you are a kid, you see a system that only cares about itself.
    This is what we need to move beyond, this is what we need to remember.
    We FAIL all the time, we need to stop failing, at least on a broader stage.
    Give a **** about each other, because if we don't, we all fall.
    All of us, no matter what we believe in.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      TV destroyed your generation.
      indeed

i grew up in the 70's and watched a god bit of tv, probably 60% outdoors or in school and the other 40 TV or reading

i liked to watch the old (40's to 60's) action movies and history related stuff

if i saw something i wasn't sure about was factual (as presented in the film) I would look it up in one of the 2 sets of encyclopedias my parents had

this would lead to a chain of learning; i would,for example, learn that some of the events in a Charlton Heston flick were based on reality and read about the actual events. this reading led to more reading about other things not in the movie. it was infectious for me

today, kids watch a film, and they don't even know what an encyclopedia is. and with so many sites online claiming to be factual (like wikipedia) there are that many versions of 'truth' being read by them

this also happens when Johnny or Susie wants to 'fact check' their science teacher.

they go online and look up "is the earth spherical?" and get a snazzy video that says it isn't and in fact that "your teacher is part of vast conspiracy that has lied to us for centuries...the world is flat..there is no gravity...people rode on dinosaurs"

with no mention of religion in many of these productions,and with it being presented in a way that is so much simpler to understand then physics and planetary mechanics, they become a new believer in flat earth and young earth,etc,etc

this is why YT vids and other websites with dubious or outright delusional info should be forced to have a warning attached to them at the beginning/ site loading

Comment

Of course I earn the bacon because you are being hypocritical again. Not only are you slowly changing the subject.but your narrative is based on a false premise. Such gullibility is not exclusive to just minors. Their are plenty of adults bullying others on the Internet
        Did I not say that I'm not all that concerned with adults? Adults are presumed to be able to manage their own affairs. The same cannot be said of children.

No bacon for you!

Comment

I suspect you don't know what you are talking about.
          Kangaroo's lack the fat based skin to create what we would consider bacon.
          It's lean meat, it's strong in flavour and for want of a better term "gamey". it's like duck. It's nice in limited doses, but not a very good staple diet (unless you have no choice, or like that flavour)
          I CAN cook a duck to have skin, I have yet to see a recepie that includes kangaroo skin though.
          You are quite right, I'm not that big a bacon fan. But I never said it was good bacon, either. Just 'Roo bacon.

Comment

I thought everything being handed to him destroyed his generation?
            My generation was not given everything.
            Yes, some circumstances were different, and in my opinion my generation ushered in many changes which were not all that good for our society as a whole, and that is an understatement. I disagreed with many of those changes.

But it wasn't the free ride that younger folks claim it was, they're making that claim to bolster their claim that they should be handed everything on a silver platter. Just to look at one issue, we still had to pay for college, many of us took on debt to do so, same as today.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Did I not say that I'm not all that concerned with adults? Adults are presumed to be able to manage their own affairs. The same cannot be said of children.

No bacon for you!
              *Looks at Trump... Gestures vaguely...*
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

You are quite right, I'm not that big a bacon fan. But I never said it was good bacon, either. Just 'Roo bacon.
                like, dumb people?
                But we have Roo as an issue, Roo is unique to Aus, bacon isn't.
                sigpic

Comment

No bacon for you!
                  That's BS. The law holds minors responsible all the time

My generation was not given everything.
                  Yes, some circumstances were different, and in my opinion my generation ushered in many changes which were not all that good for our society as a whole, and that is an understatement. I disagreed with many of those changes.

But it wasn't the free ride that younger folks claim it was, they're making that claim to bolster their claim that they should be handed everything on a silver platter. Just to look at one issue, we still had to pay for college, many of us took on debt to do so, same as today.
                  You're in denial. Probably to justify your facade that this generation wants a free ride
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by gatefan1976 View Post
                    this is what people like annoyed do not understand, and possibly you yourself. if you have no kids, there is no real reason to care about what happens next
                    bs
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      bs
                      I said no reason to, not you are incapable.
                      Perhaps a better way to say it would be, you have no vested interest beyond your own life.
                      sigpic

Comment

I said no reason to, not you are incapable.
                        Perhaps a better way to say it would be, you have no vested interest beyond your own life.
                        Dude having kids doesn't put you above anyone, they're different interests. Some parents abandon their "vested interests" for life and some ppl without kids spend a lifetime helping others in humanitarian orgz. Some people live for their Gods, I want to have kids someday you think my interests are lesser than yours?

That's quite an egoistic statement, sorry but you pulled an Annoyed on that one.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Dude having kids doesn't put you above anyone, they're different interests. Some parents abandon their "vested interests" for life and some ppl without kids spend a lifetime helping others in humanitarian orgz. Some people live for their Gods, I want to have kids someday you think my interests are lesser than yours?

That's quite an egoistic statement, sorry but you pulled an Annoyed on that one.
                          No, what I am saying is that UNTIL you have kids, we simply don't share the same interest. If you had kids, you would be more invested.
                          BILLIONS of people have kids, it's not an egoistic position, because ego is about self. The "egoism" of my position is not self serving. My neighbours have kids, and they deserve just as much as my own.
                          Does that mean I don't care about the person who has no kids?
                          No, not at all.
                          Do I think the priorities (and needs) of a single person are different to a person(s) with kids?
                          Yes.

EDIT:
                          let me be even more clear.
                          If the WORLD has 100 dollars, and to feed a person costs 10 dollars, I want you as the individual to have your 10 dollars, but me, I have a kid, so to feed me, my partner and my kid, I need 30 dollars. Now lets assume their is another family, and they need another 30 dollars. By the numbers, we are still good. You need 10 bucks, and me and the other family need 60.

That is simplistic, and I admit that, but it's to show that the needs of the one, or the many are no more important than the other.
                          I have no desire to discriminate, you need 10 bucks, have 10 bucks.
                          I need 30, and my 30 will keep paying for your 10 bucks, even when you can't make your own 10 bucks.
                          Last edited by Gatefan1976; 08 May 2019, 05:23 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

No, what I am saying is that UNTIL you have kids, we simply don't share the same interest. If you had kids, you would be more invested
                            Of course man and I won't ever pretend I can relate to you on this. I do agree for some "world trolls" having kids could help them see beyond their selves.

My neighbours have kids, and they deserve just as much as my own.
                            Does that mean I don't care about the person who has no kids?
                            No, not at all.
                            Do I think the priorities (and needs) of a single person are different to a person(s) with kids?
                            Yes.
                            I'm glad you clarified that for me, and dude I totally salute your devotion to your children. Your interests are different but no greater nor lesser better than any type of selfgiving.
                            I don't think I could compare you to a full-time doctor, or a soldier all of which crossed kids off their list.

I haven't met a Chakalita in almost a year now bc I'm taking care of my mom (cancer) and can't get myself in an "appealing" state of mind. I also want to leave a better world to the next after me so nobody has to go through this **** bc of pollution or other wrongdoings of humanity. Sorry I don't like to use my personal issues as an argument but I guess I got triggered.

Those of us are all of the same kind, mb you can't understand my reality and I can't for yours. Either way I think your last post is more like you than your previous one.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Of course man and I won't ever pretend I can relate to you on this.
                              But YOU can, and it's why I chide Annoyed.
                              I relate to YOU, because once apon a time, I had no kids, and I was just as invested as you in keeping our little rock safe. In fact, I argued with my mother about as having the right to have more kids because the planet might not be able to handle it.
                              I thought having kids was self involved, and egotistical.
                              Sound familiar??
                              I was wrong.
                              I'm glad you clarified that for me, and dude I totally salute your devotion to your children. Your interests are different but no greater nor lesser better than any type of selfgiving.
                              No one's are, and that is probably my point.
                              I don't think I could compare you to a full-time doctor, or a soldier all of which crossed kids off their list.
                              That is far, FAR more credit than I deserve.
                              I haven't met a Chakalita in almost a year now bc I'm taking care of my mom (cancer) and can't get myself in an "appealing" state of mind.
                              I lost my mom to cancer, but I never had to "take care of her" in such a way, so, I know where you are going and what comes after, I just don't know where you are now. I had over 2 years to find my closure with the inevitable, and me and my mum had a pretty good relationship and an implicit understanding of what was going to happen. I could go on, but it would be painful to do so, BUT if you want an arm to lean on, PM me.
                              I also want to leave a better world to the next after me so nobody has to go through this **** bc of pollution or other wrongdoings of humanity. Sorry I don't like to use my personal issues as an argument but I guess I got triggered.
                              What is personal is what gives you the will to fight, so don't be sorry for that.
                              The question is, is it -just- for you?
                              I don't think you think that way,
                              Those of us are all of the same kind, mb you can't understand my reality and I can't for yours. Either way I think your last post is more like you than your previous one.
                              Perhaps.
                              I have been known to loose my temper on occasion
                              Last edited by Gatefan1976; 08 May 2019, 06:31 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Perhaps.
                                I have been known to loose my temper on occasion
                                Thanks.
                                I think we're all similar in that fashion otherwise we wouldn't be lurking here would we lol. Some are in just for the bacon or the MAGA though.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X