This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It's the balcony in the WH that gave it away, wasn't it.
    Nah, I was more thinking about -where- the sun shines from........
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I remember seeing an eclipse in Portland, Oregon in the late 50's when I was in grade school. The class went outside with various means of viewing the eclipse and got to see it then - one of them being the pinhole method.

I've also seen a couple of lunar eclipses since then.

I, too, made the mistake of looking (for a fraction of a section) this morning (in the general area of the sun -not directly at it) and it hurt like a son-of-a-gun. Won't make that mistake again. I did notice, though, that the trees and area surrounding my house got somewhat darker for a little while during the eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Nah, I was more thinking about -where- the sun shines from........
        He is already blind anyway
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I remember seeing an eclipse in Portland, Oregon in the late 50's when I was in grade school. The class went outside with various means of viewing the eclipse and got to see it then - one of them being the pinhole method.

I've also seen a couple of lunar eclipses since then.

I, too, made the mistake of looking (for a fraction of a section) this morning (in the general area of the sun -not directly at it) and it hurt like a son-of-a-gun. Won't make that mistake again. I did notice, though, that the trees and area surrounding my house got somewhat darker for a little while during the eclipse.
          My neck of the woods is supposed to be in the path of totality in 2024....though knowing our luck here in the Buffalo area it'll probably get rained out...or possibly even snowed out (we've had snow showers in April around here before)

but I'll definitely get solar viewing glasses as soon as they hit Lowe's hardware store next time instead of waiting until the day of the eclipse like today (didn't get any today because Lowe's ran out of 'em)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            She sang it somewhere today.
            Yeah, I actually saw a clip of it on the local news. She was on a cruise someplace and did it without any backing music.
            It didn't sound good. She might be getting too old to carry that off anymore. =(

Comment

At least totality still is totality even if its cloudy and raining
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/702149...57687819413216

of course it cleared up a bit AFTER the big show.

but the clouds did make it possible to see the sliver of the sun without glasses.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was so hyped with the feed and totalities that I forgot that I promised my sister to pick her up from her ballet class -- I was a little later than I said I would be.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                My neck of the woods is supposed to be in the path of totality in 2024....though knowing our luck here in the Buffalo area it'll probably get rained out...or possibly even snowed out (we've had snow showers in April around here before)
                Even with clouds it can be spectacular. Too many will ruin it because then you don't see anything, but it'll still go dark.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  The odd of clouds/overcast in this area in April are far higher than for clear skies.

Comment

Me and the family traveled up to Spring City, TN and watched the entire eclipse to totality. It was an amazing experience. The light was so eerie in the minutes before totality and during. The temperature dropped, all the nighttime critters started chirping, our shadows got fuzzy, stars were visible (and Venus but I don't know which one it was) and seeing the eclipse with unshielded eyes was amazing. Weather was perfect, clear skies and not too hot for August in the south.

If you ever have an opportunity within a days drive of seeing totality I would strongly encourage it. Even with the traffic getting home it was worth it!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X