This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista Questions

1. Does anyone know what the last updates for Vista are?

I did a search in the Microsoft catalogue but I want to be sure I have the right ones when I update my Mom's pc for her since I can't check for updates without getting code c8000266 in the Vista windows update.

2. On that some pc I don't seem to be able to access Yahoo.com in Chrome 49, Firefox 52, and Avast's safe browser yet it will open up in IE 9 but I can't login. I have run Malwarebytes and it found nothing, flushed the DNS cache but that did nothing, and I'm currently running a scan with Avast. Is there anything else I can try besides a system restore as I would like to get this fixed for my Mom?

Edit: Avast found nothing.
    Last edited by planet_tv; 30 June 2017, 10:55 PM.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows Vista.

As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft.
    Windows Vista end of support
    sigpic

Comment

Really, Vista was a P.O.S. on day one and it is way past end-of-life. Without OS updates, it's very difficult to keep it clean and running right.

I would suggest replacing it as a first choice. If financial reasons preclude a new machine, depending upon what the machine is used for, you might be able to replace windows with Linux? Ubuntu is pretty user-friendly these days.

Comment

The only question about Windows Vista is why anyone would still willingly use it.

When my current laptop dies (or when I get sufficiently annoyed with Windows in all its reincarnations to finally ditch it altogether), my next laptop will be a Chromebook.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I know support ended for Vista but there were some final updates in April and I just wanted to know what they are so I can get them. If there were updates for February and March I would like to get them too, if they're worth it. I just want to make sure I have all of the very last updates and have my number 2 question taken care of so it's working order.

Vista is my Mom's second PC for back-up and for things that are not Windows 7 compatible even with settings changed in the compatibility tab to, for example, Windows XP with Service Pack 3. She does have another computer with Windows 7 on it but it didn't come with a graphics card so at some point I'm going to check the label on the power supply and see if it's 300w or 400w because if it is my Mom can get a low end graphics card. My Dad was going to have a computer built for her from CPU Solutions but his death in 2015 made that not possible. She did take over my Dad's IPad and laptop after his death so she can use that and the laptop has Windows 8.1 on it because my Dad decided to ditch the Vista 64-bit OS it came with and put Windows 8 on it.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I figured out what might be going on with question number 2 and this, latest Avast update, seems likely:
            https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=204858.0

I figured this out when I disabled Avast for about 10 minutes and Yahoo loaded fine in Firefox 52. When Avast was enabled the problem of not loading occurred. Even after a uninstall and reinstall the problem was still there and that's when I did a Google search where I found the Avast update blocking web sites topic on Avast's forum (link above).

I'm not sure if I should go over there and let them know but if someone thinks it might be a good idea I will.

Edit: I found other topics on the problem on Avast's forum and it seems like it has something to do with HTTPS scanning and, at this time, only affects users with XP and Vista. Avast is working on an update but there's no timetable for the release of a new update.
            Last edited by planet_tv; 01 July 2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X