This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices of board games?!?!?!?

Someone recently i gamed with, purchased a copy of the "imperial assault' board game pack. So I can read the rules for it, and start 'running it' for our group at conventions. So just on a whim i checked out its official site (and ebay/amazon) for it, to price out how much it might take ME to get all the stuff for it if i wanted to get into it..

And i was jaw dropped, when i saw the BASE box costs 99 bucks on it's OWN!!??

Then i saw the same cost for the base box for Final flight's Xwing mini game, and 20 to 80 for some of the add ons!?! So if one wanted to get ALL that Armada has, or Xwing has one could easily pop off close to 500+ bucks!!!??

SHEESE. I remember when i could buy a good board game for less than 30 bucks..!

MY how times have changed.

In my teen years, we used to design our own board games. The ultimate saving strategy!
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Board games have gotten -really- expensive, especially "Euro-games" like Tikka to ride, Carcasone, etc. "gamer" (IE RPG related ones) games have always been pretty pricy though, nature of it being a niche market.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

And it's not just board games.. RPG's are geting that way period.
        Take ADND 2e. When it first started coming out in the mid-late 80s, you could buy many of the hard backs for 20-25 bucks, maybe 30 on the high side, with 12-18 for the soft backs.
        Now for 5e, pathfinder and such, they generally are 50+ for the hardbacks...

Back when b/tech first came out you could buy the intro boxed set which contained lead mins for a cool 20.. These days the same set, costs iirc 45, and has plastic ones or cardboard cut outs..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          And it's not just board games.. RPG's are geting that way period.
          Take ADND 2e. When it first started coming out in the mid-late 80s, you could buy many of the hard backs for 20-25 bucks, maybe 30 on the high side, with 12-18 for the soft backs.
          Now for 5e, pathfinder and such, they generally are 50+ for the hardbacks...
          3.5 was around 40-50 bucks a book when it came out here, 5e is 60:
          http://www.thecombatcompany.com/cate...s-dragons.html

Back when b/tech first came out you could buy the intro boxed set which contained lead mins for a cool 20.. These days the same set, costs iirc 45, and has plastic ones or cardboard cut outs..
          I think when I got Citytech some 28 years ago, it was 30 bucks, came with the rulebook, 2 hex maps and about 30 cardboard cutouts
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
          X