X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but I am truthful and honourable.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You are not a book
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

This is true.
        sigpic

Comment

Hi,

There is no Constitutional way for a state to exit the union (one qualification). We spent 4 bloody years from 1861-1865 proving that.

Having lived in the south (Atlanta) most of my life, I feel strongly that we should not separate but the political flows in the past 40-odd years has brought a change from an attitude of "let's find our common ground and work from there" to a "If your not 100% with me you are against me". Sad. Sad. Sad.

The exception to the non-cessesion rule is the State of Texas (I lived in Houston from 1980-1983). The Nation of Texas needed someone else larger for economic help. Having fought for independence from the United States of Mexico (Estados Unidos de Mejico the full name of the nation commonly called Mexico), The international treaty between the Nation of Texas and the USA has a clause that at anytime in the future, the State of Texas may "divide itself into five states like the five points of the Lone Star." If Texas ever wanted to divide itself AND the USA would not allow this division, than the International Treaty joining Texas to the USA would be null and void. Then Texas would become a separate nation again.

I agree about NY State needing to be divided into the State of New York City and the rest into New York. The same could be said about California and several other states. I do not know what mechanisms are in place to divide an existing state.

Doug vV

P.S.
          As an aside, Georgia has the doubious distinction of having been kicked out of the USA. Basically, for any Confederate State to rejoin the USA after the Civil War the main factor was to elect a slat of senators and representatives to the Congress. Georgia did this and was accepted back into the USA for a short period until a few days or weeks later the Congress saw the slate. It had many of the pre-Civil War statesmen that had been in Congress. Congress kicked Georgia out of the Union and back under US Military control. The bar for a slate of people was modified to mean that no one who fought in the Civil War could be counted as Eligible. So Georgia joined the US in 1776, c1866, and 1870. Georgia's first attempt was the first confederate state to qualify and then rejected. Then in 1870 was the last confederate state to rejoin. CONFUSED?

Comment

Well, as we were talking Rome earlier on the other thread, If the "leftie states left" like some of you want, they would become the Byzantine Empire, the red centre, you would be what's left of Rome, with your very own Nero, except, he seems to favour the trumpet as opposed to the fiddle (though they both seem to be partial to the Lyre.)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by edgarcorny View Post
              Having lived in the south (Atlanta) most of my life, I feel strongly that we should not separate but the political flows in the past 40-odd years has brought a change from an attitude of "let's find our common ground and work from there" to a "If your not 100% with me you are against me". Sad. Sad. Sad.
              And which party seems to be the worst FOR that sort of attitude.. IMO i see it mostly from the democrats. At least republicans are willing to TRY and cross the isle to work with the dems. Dems on the other hand seem to ME to have NO intention of ever crossing the isle and "making a compromise"..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                And which party seems to be the worst FOR that sort of attitude.. IMO i see it mostly from the democrats. At least republicans are willing to TRY and cross the isle to work with the dems. Dems on the other hand seem to ME to have NO intention of ever crossing the isle and "making a compromise"..
                I call BS. Neither side wants to compromise
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Now, is that because the Republicans are actually willing to compromise? Or is it because until now (and the jury is still out on "now", but refusing to give Obama's last SCOTUS nominee a hearing is an encouraging sign), the Republicans haven't had the kohonas to tell the Democrats to sit down, shut up, and go back to whatever hole they crawled out of? How often have the Republicans knuckled under in the face of Democrat demands? All the Dems have to do is to threaten to stop govt. funding bills and the R's wilt and go home with their tails between their legs.

Comment

You killed your own bill that you have been fighting the Dems on for 7 years and trying to repeal it 60 times. You won't even compromise when you control everything.
                    Twats.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi,

I really liked the alternate history series Belisarius. It took the last emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire) and turned left.

Doug vV

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        How often have the Republicans knuckled under in the face of Democrat demands? All the Dems have to do is to threaten to stop govt. funding bills and the R's wilt and go home with their tails between their legs.
                        It does seem like that the reps seem to capitulate to what ever demands the dems have rather too easy these days..

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          How would the U.S. be better if these states ceceded?
                          Federal treasury would most definitely feel the loss of California which holds the 6th place in the world as far as economy goes. Note: in the world.

Originally posted by edgarcorny View Post
                          There is no Constitutional way for a state to exit the union (one qualification). We spent 4 bloody years from 1861-1865 proving that.
                          Err... yes, there is.

I looked it up when it first made the news. It's just bloody hard to do cause the other states have to vote on it.

Getting out of the European Union, in comparison, is a lot easier.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Federal treasury would most definitely feel the loss of California which holds the 6th place in the world as far as economy goes. Note: in the world.
                            But if the fed pulld out cause CA seceeded, then wouldn't that shut down a # of those ports??

Comment

nope, but the rest of the US would be paying to use them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                nope, but the rest of the US would be paying to use them.

not necessarily, there are plenty of ports on the east coast, not to mention the ports on the gulf coast.

yes California grows a lot of our winter crops, but , most of our winter crops would come from south America as well as a lot of the goods from china would need to go through the other ports, there are plenty of ports in Oregon and Washington state, the place that would have the biggest effect would be Hawaii, they would find a lot of stuff would cost a GREAT deal more, gas cars, foods, though, they could more than likely grow their own food there, beef and other animal crops to feed them selves, eventually, it would take some time before that would happen though.

and in the mean time, lets not forget the down side to what would happen then, the loss of the military bases, the loss of BILLIONS in government subsidies, not to mention the public opinion, who would want to conduct business with another country that used to be a state, and now is just a bunch of trators to the country that their grand fathers and grand mothers bled and died for.

if you really want to see what it would be like , just check out petoria.

Comment

Working...
                                X