Technology good... Must assimilate.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

But the old ways are always better
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        But for someone like me who is not allowed to drive because if eyesight an autonomous car would be a blessing. I don't want to be denied more freedom if the technology allows it.
        I don't think you could count on that. I think any self driving car would require that a human be present and able to take over should the need arise. The legal and liability situation would almost require it, I would think.

If the car screws up, and no human is able to take over, who pays the costs of the wreck?

Comment

Your argument is an old one. People thought a similar a thing with the automobile replaced the horse for example
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
            An email from one of my customers yesterday:

"Hello, I booked a car rental in Los Angeles through your travel agency. While using the rented vehicle, I got a speeding ticket but I've lost the slip the police gave me so I couldn't pay. I am back in Israel now and I am afraid that by the time I come to the USA again, the police will double my fine. Could you please pay it for me and take the money from my credit card?"

I kid you not.
            ?? So he KNEW he had a speeding ticket and still left? What!?!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              if it had been his only visit to the US then leaving wouldn't have been a bad idea

Comment

We should extradite him. I have a feeling no one is going to care for an $80 fine
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  We should extradite him. I have a feeling no one is going to care for an $80 fine
                  True, they wouldn't worry. BUT doesn't that kind of mean any foreigner coming to our country, can get a 'free out' of any tickets they earn, by just flying back home?

Comment

It's not much different than people who flee the state so they don't have to pay minor infractions
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

True, they wouldn't worry. BUT doesn't that kind of mean any foreigner coming to our country, can get a 'free out' of any tickets they earn, by just flying back home?

Oh Garhkal young padawan you don't know the half of it...

What about diplomats who rack up tons and tons of parking or speeding fines, because they seem to get away with that ..

Comment

1- It was a she.

2- Yes.

3- She expects, in all seriousness, the travel agency to handle her speeding ticket for her.

4- She is right to worry, things like that can catch up with her on her future visits to the USA. In fact, she might be flagged at the border and either charged the fine plus fees, or refused entry which would be far more expensive. A wasted transatlantic ticket is between $600 and $1000 these days.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

It's not much different than people who flee the state so they don't have to pay minor infractions
                          Or from a Judge in an upstate NY city, convicted of DWI, and in violation of her parole, fleeing the jurisdiction to Thailand.
                          (This judge is still drawing her salary and of course, there are cries that she's being persecuted on racial grounds)
                          Gotta love NY politics.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester...e-hearing.html

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Leticia Astacio violated the terms of her conditional discharge on a DWI sentence, a judge hearing her case ruled on Thursday.

The embattled Rochester City Court judge is scheduled to next return to court on July 6, and Judge Stephen Aronson ruled Astacio cannot make bail.

Astacio went from a trip overseas to jail earlier in the week. One condition of her DWI sentence was that she couldn't drink alcohol, and had to comply with random judge-ordered urine tests.

Aronson ordered a test in May after a high alcohol reading in Astacio's ignition interlock device on April 29, with no picture of the person blowing into it.

Astacio said Thursday that she traveled to Thailand in early May to "de-stress" and get away from "all of this." She testified that she was abroad when a letter was sent ordering her to submit to a urine test.

Astacio's lawyer, Ed Fiandach, said his client bought a plane ticket back to Rochester once she heard there was a hearing concerning her job, which he says happened at least five days after the letter was sent.

Aronson, in essence, told Astacio that when she found out about the test didn't matter, as part of her sentence was to remain available, and bottom line, she didn't take the test. Fiandach said he plans to appeal.

Some of Astacio's supporters were audibly upset, screaming "racist" in the courtroom.

Astacio, who was elected to a 10-year term, continues to collect her annual salary of $173,000.

Comment

That's a lot different since we are talking about a major felony
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

But what happens with people like diplomats who rack up tons of speeding fines or other misdemeanour's?

Nothing can be done because immunity..

Comment

It's a lot easier though, to extradite someone from say CA to Wa or Ia, than it is fro Israel to the US..

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                Oh Garhkal young padawan you don't know the half of it...

What about diplomats who rack up tons and tons of parking or speeding fines, because they seem to get away with that ..
                                And that's something i have been RAILING against since i first heard of that nonsense. IMO that whole Diplomatic immunity is a big mess. DUI - sorry can't do anything. Murder - sorry same.
                                Smuggle in drugs - sorry can't inspect it. Smuggle in xyz - same..

3- She expects, in all seriousness, the travel agency to handle her speeding ticket for her.
                                Sorry toots. ITS NOT THE agency's responsibility. ITS YOURS!

4- She is right to worry, things like that can catch up with her on her future visits to the USA. In fact, she might be flagged at the border and either charged the fine plus fees, or refused entry which would be far more expensive. A wasted transatlantic ticket is between $600 and $1000 these days.
                                And she bloody well should worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X