Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always be careful where you stick your hoses....

North Carolina boat exploded after gas was pumped into fishing rod holder

Ok, you screw up. Royally. Really, big time.

Then you realize your screwup. And the first thing that enters his head is to compound it by disconnecting the battery...

Comment

So remember the massive IT failure at British Airways? All flights from Heathrow and Gatwick cancelled for the entire weekend, 75 000 passengers affected, $130 million bill in compensation claims - all because a maintenance worker in their India-based data center yanked the wrong power cord.

Welcome to the downsides of outsourcing, BA. Don't get comfortable.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

North Carolina boat exploded after gas was pumped into fishing rod holder

Ok, you screw up. Royally. Really, big time.

Then you realize your screwup. And the first thing that enters his head is to compound it by disconnecting the battery...
        DARWIN nominee!!

Comment

Comment

Oh, what a tangled web new technology weaves.
            http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06...deck-boat.html

Seven young girls from Spain filed a police report saying they were recorded by a drone while basking naked on the deck of a boat in Mallorca.

According to the complaint, several Spanish outlets reported, they were spending their Saturday catching up on a boat owned by one of them - five of them sunbathing naked on the deck - when they noticed a drone buzzing around. At one point, the complaint reportedly states, the drone came "right on top" of the girls and kept changing positions, all the while with the red recording light on.
            Unless this boat was anchored in a private bay that the owner had rights to, the guys in the other boat had every right to operate their drone over a their boat. There is no expectation of privacy on a public beach or waterway.

Granted, it's despicable behavior on the part of the guys, but if you're gonna get undressed in a public place, you can expect someone to look or take pictures.

Comment

They're assuming the red light meant it was recording too, on ours the red light is used to indicate what channel the camera is broadcasting on (it'll flash red/white, red/blue etc.), not that it's recording, since it's incapable of recording. If it was close enough for them to see a tiny SMD LED, why didn't they knock it out the sky with a shoe or something.

Such idiotic behavour, combined with a general lack of common sense on behalf of the GP is really annoying for us legit drone users, many times we've had people literally run away from us in the local park thinking our drones are dangerous or spying on them, we were out this afternoon and my son flew his drone into the back of my head (as I walked across the garden to retrieve mine), it stung but it hasn't even left a mark, a frisby would do more damage, people are so dumb, on both sides, when it comes to drones!

Comment

Oh, I'm not defending the right to operate drones in this manner. If I find one hovering over my property, the owner might get it back. In pieces. My accuracy with a shotgun is more than good enough to take one of those down.

I'm just sayin' that it was damned stupid of those young ladies to expect privacy in that situation.

Comment

Depends on how high up it is. I'm not sure on the number but so many feet up it's not your property anymore and you can't shoot a drone
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

If it's low enough to get pegged with a shotgun, it's too low.

Comment

You tell the judge that when you get sued
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Jailed, well depends where you are (some guy was jailed in Canada for shooting down a drone).

It's 500 foot ceiling here (UK) for what airspace you own, but it can be less if you're near an airport, here it's 400 foot for example, so Annoyed would be well within his rights to shoot down a drone over his property under these rules.

But because of stupid people doing stupid things with drones here (like filming people sunbathing nude in their back garden or flying over Buckingham Palace, or crashing into the Shard lol) the drone pilot is always going to be in the wrong whatever, we have some dumb rules like someone flying FPV has to have a spotter in case someone walks near the pilot to warn therm (never mind the drone could be 100 meters away), no flying within 50 meters of a road or building, most public parks have banned them on privacy grounds, but still allow people in with mobile phones.... It's just hysteria led knee jerk reactions to idiots being idiots, plus you've got pilots constantly having near misses with drones at 5000 feet, even though no hobby or commercial drone could ever fly that high, usually turtns out to be a bird or plastic bag, but as soon as drone is mentioned we all get the third degree over it...
                        Last edited by Ian-S; 07 June 2017, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Technology is also providing a safe space for stupid people.

There was an ad on TV a week or two ago for a car and this girl and her friend were walking across the road (never mind that they were J walking) in the ad and not at a crossing but anyway they were crossing the road wearing headphones and probably couldn't hear the car coming along.

OK the ad was for a car that has a feature that stops the car if it senses something in front of the car like say stupid people J walking......

See technology giving stupid people a safe space.
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06...deck-boat.html.
                            Since anyone can take pics of you anywhere these days, if you don't want to be recorded, don't be naked!
                            But how 'young' are they if one owns the boat?

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06...deck-boat.html

Unless this boat was anchored in a private bay that the owner had rights to, the guys in the other boat had every right to operate their drone over a their boat. There is no expectation of privacy on a public beach or waterway.

Granted, it's despicable behavior on the part of the guys, but if you're gonna get undressed in a public place, you can expect someone to look or take pictures.
                              Even were they naked in the most public of places, taking photos or video of them without their permission is still a privacy violation.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                                Even were they naked in the most public of places, taking photos or video of them without their permission is still a privacy violation.
                                First, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, and this applies to the U.S. Don't know about other countries.

I don't think so, at least not in all circumstances. If there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, you're right. But in a situation where there is no such expectation, such as a public street or such, anyone can take your picture.

From a legal advice website:

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/s...es-and-privacy

So, is anything being done to stop this blatant invasion of privacy? In September, the Video Voyeurism Prevention Act of 2004 passed through Congress virtually unopposed. What does this mean to you? It means that when it comes to having your picture taken without your permission, you have some rights.

The Video Voyeurism Prevention Act prohibits the photographing or videotaping of a naked person without his or her permission in a gym, tanning salon, dressing room or anywhere else where one expects a "reasonable expectation of privacy." Violators can expect fines of up to $100,000 and/or up to a year in prison.

This doesn't necessarily make it illegal for someone to snap your photo without your permission though. For instance, if you're just walking down the street and someone takes a picture, they're well within their rights no matter how violated you might feel. But if someone takes a picture of you without your permission while you're getting ready to shower at the gym, it's against the law. This law isn't limited to camera phones but also includes camcorders, cameras, and digital cameras.
                                The site is discussing cell phone cameras and such, but the principle would extend to any sort of camera, I would think.

The gals were anchored in a public beach, no expectation of privacy. So while the guys were rude, crude and a number of other descriptive terms, they were within their rights, at least under US law.

If you don't want anyone to see you in the altogether, don't be in the altogether in public.

Comment

Working...
                                X