This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    that's only because news agencies only report accidents...how many more accidents are avoided because people can instinctively react to avoid an accident? that's what does NOT get reported....and computers don't have instincts....so I would highly doubt a computer-driven car's ability to even TRY to react to avoid an accident
    We use instincts, they use sensors with far greater response times and field of "vision"
    Aircraft have used such things for decades.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I highly doubt that the time it takes for the sensors to receive the information and transmit it to the appropriate equipment is any faster than the kind of split-second thought required for the instinctive reactions in humans

the human cerebral cortex is far more advanced than even the most advanced super computer in existence today

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        I know. Which is why i fear even more automation IN cars...
        To paraphrase Isaac Asimov, I do not fear more automation in cars; I fear the lack of it.
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          That will never happen, companies will not be held liable for the misuse of their products, and I'm sure you can figure out why that is.
          Yea, paying off politicians and having boat loads of lawyers on payroll!

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            I highly doubt that the time it takes for the sensors to receive the information and transmit it to the appropriate equipment is any faster than the kind of split-second thought required for the instinctive reactions in humans
            Based on what?
            the human cerebral cortex is far more advanced than even the most advanced super computer in existence today
            How is that relevant?
            the issue is reaction times, car sense, car stop or car avoid, not a great deal of thought going on. Yes, there are other factors involved (road/weather conditions etc) but the car would already have this data and already have adjusted for it.
            Basically, do you have a ASB, traction control, lane avoidance, speed limiting (and so on, you get the point) in your car? If it has ever triggered, it's reacting faster than you to do it's job.

Here, this might interest the gamers here:
            http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/21/huma...t-always-easy/

Or, go play a fighting game on max difficulty if you think humans are better than computers.
            Last edited by Gatefan1976; 12 March 2017, 11:47 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Yea, paying off politicians and having boat loads of lawyers on payroll!
              Keep going, you are almost there.........
              sigpic

Comment

We use instincts, they use sensors with far greater response times and field of "vision"
                Aircraft have used such things for decades.
                That analogy is utterly irrelevant. Sensors and such would be the equivalent of our eyes, ears and other senses. Instincts on the other hand are the conclusions and results of thought processes which humans have, and computers do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  That analogy is utterly irrelevant. Sensors and such would be the equivalent of our eyes, ears and other senses. Instincts on the other hand are the conclusions and results of thought processes which humans have, and computers do not.
                  In this limited capacity, it is entirely relevant.
                  Computers run threat analysis as a matter of course, and they are generally equipped with far more accurate information than your average person. If you would care to argue that point, play some games on max difficulty against a computer. What you are confusing is AI, with threat/risk analysis. Computer AI is not worth much of a damn in a fluid environment, but it is -extremely- effective in a known variable situation, and driving tends to be a known variable situation. The chance of a computer failing is far less than that of the human user failing because while the person has experience, which is a plus, the computer cannot be distracted, tired, drunk, or any other number of factors which can affect the human.
                  sigpic

Comment

Computer AI is not worth much of a damn in a fluid environment, but it is -extremely- effective in a known variable situation, and driving tends to be a known variable situation.
                    ?? That is exactly the reason it is UNSAFE. The highway environment is NOT predictable, it is one of the most unpredictable environments that exist.

Comment

?? That is exactly the reason it is UNSAFE. The highway environment is NOT predictable, it is one of the most unpredictable environments that exist.
                      Are you kidding me?
                      What exactly about highway environment is so "unpredictable"?
                      Mechanical failure? Nope, your automated car would adjust for its own failings.
                      Driver Distraction? Nope, your automated car does not get distracted.
                      Other vehicles? Nope, their automated car would adjust.
                      Unexpected road hazards? Nope, the sensors would spot them before you would.
                      At every turn, the threat of failure comes almost directly from the human element. Granted the -driver- might be good enough, or experienced enough to avoid the collision/event.
                      I'm not saying that there aren't times when the "human element" is superior, but on a highway, I'm simply not buying your argument, because it has no basis besides ego. which is why I keep saying play a game on max difficulty, because when things go wrong, that's max difficulty, and that's when the VAST majority of people fail.
                      You are this Klingon:
                      sigpic

Comment

Other vehicles? Nope, their automated car would adjust.
                        Again, your assumption is invalid. It will be a very long time, if ever, before you have 100% automated drivers. So the human element on the part of other drivers will still be a completely random thing, unpredictable.

Comment

Again, your assumption is invalid. It will be a very long time, if ever, before you have 100% automated drivers. So the human element on the part of other drivers will still be a completely random thing, unpredictable.
                          So, your answer is "I don't have one, so I don't trust one"
                          Spoken like a true conservative..............

My assumption is not invalid, cars have lanes, they have speeds, they have mass, they have inertia, there are more stable elements on a highway than your average person.
                          As usual, you offer no substantive rebuttal beyond "I don't like it, so it's wrong"
                          sigpic

Comment

I think it's more of an old person thing than a conservative one. History does show that generally the elderly fear new technology
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

My dad is the same, when his ABS packed up the other week he was like 'it's only abs I can drive without it' but he soon found out how well that simple magnet stopped his wheels locking, the car is presently in the shop having the sensor replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I think it's more of an old person thing than a conservative one. History does show that generally the elderly fear new technology
                                Garbage.
                                Annoyed is a mechanic, and he knows enough to set up a home server system.
                                He should know better -despite- his age.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X