This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Gee, let me think. Maybe you and the rest of the "outraged relatives" could have provided him with these things?

It's the attitude on display here that really aggravates me; that punks like this are entitled to steal.
    Exactly. That is a very piss poor attitude his kin have.. BUT i actually agree in part.. the guy was in the home with OUT her inside, and she came back to find him there.. Escaping and running away.
    So there is IMO no cause for her to claim Self defense..

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I still have around 70-80, mostly of stuff I have not seen on DVD, or were stupidly expensive to upgrade when the DVD's initially came out (such as TNG). At most I probably had around 200, and my parents had around 400. Neither number however is a drop in the ocean in comparison to my DVD collection however, which sits at around 1200 movies and around 140 seasons of Shows. Just the other day we picked up 7 disks of the 90's cartoon for the avengers, LEXX S3-4 to finish that off, Under the dome S1, and TNG S4-6 in those collectors capsules for around 50 bucks in total.
    It's been a while, but i think i have somewhere around 600 or so in my DVD collection, including all 10 seasons, and all 3 films for SG1, all the films for Trek, All 5 seasons of SGA, both for SGU, and all 4 for the new BSG..

Comment

Sorry I think you should be able to shoot some punk who is running down the street with your possessions.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Exactly. That is a very piss poor attitude his kin have.. BUT i actually agree in part.. the guy was in the home with OUT her inside, and she came back to find him there.. Escaping and running away.
        So there is IMO no cause for her to claim Self defense..
        The article states that there was a confrontation and then shots were fired.
        A confrontation then took place, according to police, and shots were fired.
        We don't know the details of that. Did she shoot him in back as he was fleeing? Did he charge at her?
        The police seem to feel it was justified shooting, so it may have been something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Vinyl records sound better then CD. I truly think that.

I miss the days of tape recorders. I miss cassettes.
          Vinyl can indeed sound better than digital recordings; I still have a good working turntable and some music on vinyl hasn't been and likely never will be released on CD.
          But vinyl is a mechanical media, subject to wear. In order to minimize that mechanical wear for my favorite irreplaceable albums I record them onto VHS videotape. It's still an analog recording media, so you don't lose that, and the recording quality of Hi Fi VHS is good enough that you really can't tell the difference.

Comment

Whatever altercation took place, she did rush home for a reason to protect it, by any means necessary... but since details are non-existent on the confrontation it's a very grey area.
            She could have just turned the evidence of her surveillance system over to the police, instead of taking the law into her own hands.

However the relatives put it, stealing is still a crime and not an easy way to get the money needed to get clothes or whatever.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

if you're poor then defending what little money you have can be considered self-defence
              (more so in a capitalist country where bankruptcy means death)

Comment

Yes, the devil is in the details which we don't know.
                My guess is that she arrived in time to see him crawling out of the window, shouted "Freeze" or some such, and the criminal charged at her.

In any case, I would call it a justified shooting; he was caught red-handed, and defense of one's property is a legitimate right. Or at least it should be. The police seem to think it's justified.

Sorry, but getting killed by the homeowner is a risk you take for breaking into their homes. Its one of the reasons you don't go around breaking into homes. =)

Comment

Yes, you Americans think everything is justified shooting at...

But the details are being withheld so it's anyone's guess what the guy did.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Absolutely. Defending one's property certainly is justified. If someone doesn't wish to be killed by someone who is defending their property, maybe it's a good idea not to try to steal it.

Comment

I agree with FH it's totally wrong to defend one's property with lethal force
                      Spoiler:
                      except if it's my property
                      but generally speaking it should be illegal for other people

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                        I agree with FH it's totally wrong to defend one's property with lethal force
                        Spoiler:
                        except if it's my property
                        but generally speaking it should be illegal for other people
                        There's a word for people like you.
                        Spoiler:
                        Hypocrite!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                          The article states that there was a confrontation and then shots were fired.

We don't know the details of that. Did she shoot him in back as he was fleeing? Did he charge at her?
                          The police seem to feel it was justified shooting, so it may have been something like that.
                          From my reading of the article, that confrontation only happened cause she ran after him..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            From my reading of the article, that confrontation only happened cause she ran after him..
                            I personally found the confrontation to be vague so I have a hard time judging how wrong the woman is. Did she charge the robber or was he attacking her
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Here are 2 other news reports of the event.

http://www.newser.com/story/222122/f...-intruder.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-be-charged/
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

A washington post article doesn't shed much more light on the details of the confrontation, but it does clarify Florida law on the matter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-be-charged/

Instead, in Florida, anybody who “unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.”

That means that homeowners are presumed to have “reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another” whenever someone “unlawfully and forcefully” enters their house, essentially giving homeowners broad license to shoot at intruders.

Florida law also provides homeowners who shoot intruders with sweeping protections against civil lawsuits, meaning Johnson’s family is unlikely to receive a wrongful death settlement.
                                Good, common sense law, if you ask me. Police can't be everywhere, and a good, healthy fear of getting killed might put a damper on burglaries and home invasions.

Comment

Working...
                                X