This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Womble, they never offered to stop having nukes, get this notion out of your brain, they offered to stop research. Noko has, as you noted a limited budget, and a dirty bomb will serve their purposes as much as a tactical weapon. The delivery tech, which everyone let go is done, so now they can drop cheap dirty nukes in the US, or here, or in your neck of the woods. Two "nominal" nukes brought an axis power to it's knees (the one that actually was suicidal), and they are well below what we consider nominal now. Even 10 dirty nukes being delivered would alter the world (let alone the more precise, targeted response). You don't need 4000 nukes like the USA or Russia, you just need to wipe your target off the map, and let humanity "respond" true to form.
    My point was that you cannot maintain a nuclear program without research, and offering to stop nuclear program means that NK will retain, at most, a handful of nukes that are on the level of the original "Fat Man". The shelf life of those is 5-10 years. A hydrogen bomb's shelf life is 12 years. Without the ability to research and test new types of nuclear devices, the ability to maintain and refurbish existing devices is quite limited, as the necessary technologies mostly come from applying the lessons learned from newer designs. Basically it's an end to NK nuclear ambitions- perhaps a somewhat delayed one, but an end nevertheless. And I am pretty sure that this move was forced by the collapse of their only nuclear testing site.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Scary...but seems in line with the Trumpesque way of thinking.
      sigpic

Comment

Just about a perfect conflict of sensibilities:

Transgender woman files human rights complaint against Windsor spa

The owner of a local waxing spa is mounting a public campaign to clear the name of his business after he was served a human rights complaint for denying service to a transgender woman.

Jason Carruthers, the president of Mad Wax on Walker Road, said he was surprised at the legal move since he had explained to the complainant that the spa did not offer Brazilian wax services on male body parts.

“I have no male wax staff,” Carruthers said Friday. “We are not able to provide that service.”

A local transgender woman claims she was denied services based on her gender identity and gender expression and is seeking $50,000 for “immense harm to my dignity.”

The complainant, who has asked to remain anonymous, said she called the spa March 17, 2018, to inquire about services for a transgender woman.

Following a conversation with an employee, she asked to speak with the owner. Carruthers said he called her back and explained that the female employee working that day was a practising Muslim who refrains from physical contact with males outside of her family.
        Transgender vs. Muslim : it's the ultimate social justice deathmatch!
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

At least 8 people killed in Texas school shooting

Here we go again...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post

Thoughts and Prayers will wish the guns away.
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Texas?? no biggie texans are used to getting shot (their police alone do a good job of that)

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                Thoughts and Prayers will wish the guns away.
                More importantly, they will purge evil thoughts and plans from the minds of potential killers.

If you hadn't noticed, this guy had also prepared explosives, and it's presumable that he would have used them if guns hadn't been available.

More gun control isn't the answer, despite it being the knee-jerk reaction of so many people.

A better question is that with the awareness of mass shootings that exists today, how was he able to get the guns into the school? We have technology to detect such things.

[edit][rant]
                I can understand Britain not paying much attention to this, but how can it be possible that some silly wedding has pretty much pushed this to the side in the news media in the U.S.? Is our media that screwed up? [/rant][/edit]
                Last edited by Annoyed; 19 May 2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  More importantly, they will purge evil thoughts and plans from the minds of potential killers.
                  Read a holy book, I don't care which one, just that it claims to be "THE ONE"
                  If you hadn't noticed, this guy had also prepared explosives, and it's presumable that he would have used them if guns hadn't been available.
                  No, he planted them, never used them, planned to commit sucide, never did it.
                  More sounds like he chicken- ****ted out at crunch time.
                  More gun control isn't the answer, despite it being the knee-jerk reaction of so many people.
                  Yeah, he could have had a knife, and Gawd noes them brits have problems with them. they have to deal with warzones.
                  A better question is that with the awareness of mass shootings that exists today, how was he able to get the guns into the school? We have technology to detect such things.
                  Cause asshats like you think school budget is all about teacher pay?
                  [edit][rant]

I can understand Britain not paying much attention to this, but how can it be possible that some silly wedding has pretty much pushed this to the side in the news media in the U.S.? Is our media that screwed up? [/rant][/edit]
                  ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!
                  In 20 weeks of school, you have had 22 school shootings this year and you go "meh"
                  There are less royal weddings in 50 plus years.
                  Killing your kids at school is -ROUTINE-
                  If you don't care, why should the news?
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Actually "yet another school shooting in America" was the only thing to interrupt the blanket coverage of wedding preparations here.

Personally I think the more screwed up thing is the fact some people still think arming teachers is a good idea, maybe your press have become so fedup with lunacy that they've just thought **** it, show em those benefit scrounges getting married instead of this guns ****.

Comment

Read a holy book, I don't care which one, just that it claims to be "THE ONE"
                      If you're making the point that religion has been responsible for some of the bloodiest and horrific wars (adjusted for tech development/killing ability) in human history, I agree.

No, he planted them, never used them, planned to commit sucide, never did it.
                      More sounds like he chicken- ****ted out at crunch time.
                      You might be right about the chickened out bit, maybe we'll get better coverage after this wedding crap falls off the front pages.

Yeah, he could have had a knife, and Gawd noes them brits have problems with them. they have to deal with warzones.
                      My point is that banning guns won't stop this crap. How many nut jobs kill by motor vehicle? Bombs?
                      Let me ask you something. Just for the sake of discussion, if either your or I go 'round the bend and decide to kill a bunch of people. Don't you think either one of us could kill far more people via bombs, cars, fire, poison or some other tool? We live in a technical society; as a result almost any common homeowner has a wide variety of tools and substances that could be used to kill people. You can't possibly ban all the things that could be used for evil purposes.

Banning a tool will only force the nut jobs to select a different tool. To stop the killings, you must change the heart & mind of the killer, not the tool.

Cause asshats like you think school budget is all about teacher pay?
                      Hardly. Just last week, the local district's budget proposal was put before the voters. Also on the ballot were spending proposals, such as purchasing replacement buses, building expansions and the purchase of real estate. All of these proposals passed; myself having voted in favor of 2 of the 3. So I don't automatically oppose school spending.

My issues is that where the laws have been rigged to make it possible, typically by bypassing voter approval in the budget process, many of the education unions have gotten themselves pay and benefit packages far superior to those that the taxpayers that pay for them are able to obtain themselves.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!
                      In 20 weeks of school, you have had 22 school shootings this year and you go "meh"
                      There are less royal weddings in 50 plus years.
                      Killing your kids at school is -ROUTINE-
                      If you don't care, why should the news?
                      A matter of priorities. Sure, if it's a slow news week or period, run all the stories you want about weddings and other foofery. But I think a school shooting should take precedence.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        Banning a tool will only force the nut jobs to select a different tool. To stop the killings, you must change the heart & mind of the killer, not the tool.
                        the killer in this case was also (allegedly) a bully gang victim so how would you fix that
                        conservative mentality likes to blame the victim (just look at the cops who do security in US schools they tend to side with the bullies)

Comment

Why is it that every time a shooting happens when you start discussing gun laws, even casually people scream "too soon?"

When is it going to be the right time to discuss this?
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                            the killer in this case was also (allegedly) a bully gang victim so how would you fix that
                            conservative mentality likes to blame the victim (just look at the cops who do security in US schools they tend to side with the bullies)
                            I haven't read anything giving any info about his motivations. Perhaps they don't know yet, or maybe we will have to wait till people get bored with the wedding crap to get any details.

That really pisses me off. We have a story of this nature and it's pushed to the side by a wedding in Great Britain. Maybe it's just me, but who gives a damn about some wedding?

Comment

And while I'm on the topic...

Exerpts from: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f3c_story.html

The gunman in Santa Fe used a pistol and a shotgun, firearms common to many South Texas homes, firearms he took from this father, police said. So there were no echoes of the calls to ban assault rifles or raise the minimum age for gun purchases that came after the shooting three months ago in Parkland, Fla.
                              The shooting didn’t seem to rattle beliefs or prompt the calls for change that followed the Parkland shooting. Norman Franzke, 69, whose granddaughter safely escaped Santa Fe High, noted that guns have been part of the culture here for generations. When he attended, students kept shotguns on racks in their pickups, ready for hunting after school.

“I don’t think this will change the mentality of this community,” Franzke said. “There may be some changes in how kids enter and leave school. But even then, he was a student, so he would still have had access.”
                              They seem to understand that it's not the tool that is the problem, it's the person wielding the tool.

Comment

Ok, lets take the "device" out of the equation.

That leaves you 2 options.
                                Intent and access.
                                Your argument is consistently that you can't change a criminal, or potential criminal from doing horrible things.
                                So, you are left with access. Remember when you flipped when I mentioned some chemicals and asked me not to do it?
                                That's access.
                                Why did you flip on access to that information (which any idiot could find out given time and inclination) on how to make a bomb. It's not like I told people how to put one togeather, or did it for them, the mere -thought- of people having -access- to that knowledge made you appeal DIRECTLY to me. THIS is exactly the argument of people who are for gun control use, ACCESS. Now, my counter to that would be, "first ammendment bro, I am on a US site, telling all and sundry how to make a bomb is protected, it's just speech, I didn't make it, I didn't do anything. Basically, my knowledge is just a tool (like a gun, just a tool, and the tool is never responsible), and I have no responsibility for what people do with it. Now, Gateworld would rightly ping that post in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't make it, even though I have amendment protect right to do so, I engage in self censorship.

Until people in the USA understand that there are consequences to having rights, and that you don't need to abuse those rights, nothing will change, you will go on, your kids being killed at school at a rate of more than one a week and you guys don't care enough to do anything about it, for whatever reason, quite frankly, a royal wedding is more interesting. Caring about the banal way America deals with this week in and week out is simply that, banal, boring and uninteresting anymore.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X