This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    Translation: you haven't actually read the article.
    Speaking of non sequiturs.............

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    All sin is "mortal" but that's irrelevant completely. Jewish is more than a religious identification.
    Not if I am only referring -to- the belief structure component of it.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
      "all sin is mortal" - you do realize that the logical conclusion of such a mode of thinking is that all sins would then receive the same punishment, logically leading to a system of laws where every crime gets the same punishment, in essence you'd have a society where a petty thief gets the same punishment as a cold-blooded murderer?
      Did they steal a TV?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ion?CMP=twt_gu

So hiding the painting prompts people to talk about it?

Wouldn't it be better to show the painting in a room with similar works of art so everyone can see the art and then make up their own minds?
        Ah, so letting the audience decide the value of one form of expression (a painting) is ok, but other forms of expression such as speech isn't?

Got it.

Haven't you advocated in favor of censoring speech, rather than letting everyone speak and let the audience decide the value of what is said?

Comment

They got busted pandering to the snowflake vocal minority, the "we removed the painting to spark debate and always intended to put it back" excuse ponied up was just them trying to backtrack on the stupid decision without looking stupid, unfortunately for them it only made them look more stupid because sensible people saw right through it as the BS excuse it was.

It's kind of being overshadowed here though by Jacob Rees-Mogg, an MP who was set upon by some liberals at a University after he was invited to speak but they didn't like what he had to say (nor were they invited to participate, they broke in), but because Security dragged them out after one got in Jacob's face and tried to beat the **** out of him, it's being twisted round as censorship now.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            True, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But you see very few if any cheerleaders whose facial features, body types and so forth are outside the range of what is considered attractive by most of the population.
            How often do you see a cheerleader "with a face only a mother could love" to use a common term for an unattractive female?
            Eye of the beholder of the one who hired the cheerleaders. And what is the purpose of chearleaders in a male-dominated sport?

Are there male chearleaders in women's leagues? Or are they female too?

What league? Did you mean beach volleyball?
            No, the American Football league... Ah... found it... It used to be the Lingerie Football League but they apparently changed it to Legends Football League.

Modeling doesn't really require anything but physicality and acting. No amount of acting can make up for a lack of physicality. That's what I mean. There are positions where looks are a prerequisite by their very nature.
            Unconventional models... google it... you'll find some breaking the beauty standards spectacularly.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Eye of the beholder of the one who hired the cheerleaders. And what is the purpose of chearleaders in a male-dominated sport?

Do you really have to ask why they have female cheerleaders? *snicker*

And no, I don't recall seeing any male cheerleaders in any sport.

To be honest, I'm not a big sports fan, so I don't watch a lot of it. I may not even watch the Superbowl; I might just check in once in a while, I really hope whoever is playing against the Patriots can spank them royally. I'm so sick of them. (And yes, they did cheat a few years ago w/deflategate)

Unconventional models... google it... you'll find some breaking the beauty standards spectacularly.
              Oh, I know there are plus size and specialty types. But the vast majority of modeling jobs, just like the cheerleader positions go to the "hotties", and that's the point of this. Our society is being pushed to be _____-blind and non-discriminatory in almost every way possible, it stands out very strongly that discrimination against the unattractive, particularly when it comes to women is so widely accepted.

Tood has been making the argument that the physicality is more effective in marketing a product, so looks are relevant.

What exactly is the difference between an advertiser today giving preference to a hot looking model to sell more more product and an advertiser in the 50's eschewing the use of black models for the same reason?
              Last edited by Annoyed; 04 February 2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

No, the American Football league... Ah... found it... It used to be the Lingerie Football League but they apparently changed it to Legends Football League.

You are completely missing my point.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Ah, so letting the audience decide the value of one form of expression (a painting) is ok, but other forms of expression such as speech isn't?

Got it.

Haven't you advocated in favor of censoring speech, rather than letting everyone speak and let the audience decide the value of what is said?

No I thought the gallery was being super stupid here...... The painting should be on display
                  Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Got it.

What if the painting was of you doing something illegal and or morally reprehensible?
                    What if everyone liked it?
                    What if they decided that what was in that picture was who you really were?
                    What if there were legal or social repercussions of that picture?
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey is it true that in the dark old times they had things called books?

Didn't people in the dark days have things called books that had lots of data in the form of words and graphics that were static, sometimes in colour too? They were printed on separate things called pages which you had to turn manually?

These "books" were housed in huge data repositories called libraries and you could borrow up to 4 or 5 of them at a time.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Do you really have to ask why they have female cheerleaders? *snicker*
                        I would, why do you think that there are female cheerleaders?
                        If your answer is "because sports were for men", you might, maybe, be able to see the problem.
                        And no, I don't recall seeing any male cheerleaders in any sport.
                        I have, in fact one of your recent presidents was a cheerleader.
                        Oh, I know there are plus size and specialty types. But the vast majority of modeling jobs, just like the cheerleader positions go to the "hotties", and that's the point of this.
                        Watch a season, or even a few eps of "America's Next Top Model" (yes, it will be painful, and mind numbing), but it -will- surprise you a bit.
                        Our society is being pushed to be _____-blind and non-discriminatory in almost every way possible, it stands out very strongly that discrimination against the unattractive, particularly when it comes to women is so widely accepted.
                        But it -is- being challenged, generally by the leftist SJW's you like to crap on for living in a fantasy world.
                        If YOU think it is wrong, perhaps you have some common ground with them, and perhaps instead of calling them SJW leftie snowflakes, it would be -more- productive to see what makes you the same, rather than what makes you different?
                        Tood has been making the argument that the physicality is more effective in marketing a product, so looks are relevant.
                        Sure, they are, but I would not hire a model to do coding or fix my car -unless- they were more than looks. Also, modelling is actually about more than just "looks", you have to be able to do -a lot- with your body besides just look good, you have to be able to speak, be an ambassador, suck up a lot of negativity and move on. It's -not- just "hottie".

What exactly is the difference between an advertiser today giving preference to a hot looking model to sell more more product and an advertiser in the 50's eschewing the use of black models for the same reason?
                        In the 50's, models were seen and not heard, not the same today. As for them being black, well, would you get your car fixed by a black mechanic, or a white moron?
                        Chances are in the 50's, it got done by a white moron more.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think you're ignoring the legal aspect here. It's legally a lot easier to sue someone for such racism than for discrimination based on looks. Which in some cases was unintentional, since stuff like "we the people" was never meant to include all people.

Comment

To be honest, I'm not a big sports fan, so I don't watch a lot of it. I may not even watch the Superbowl; I might just check in once in a while, I really hope whoever is playing against the Patriots can spank them royally. I'm so sick of them. (And yes, they did cheat a few years ago w/deflategate)
                            We don't have cheerleaders full stop.
                            At least, didn't have because in recent years it's wormed its way into the basketball games. That is, I know someone who trained a group of cheerleaders and they performed before basketball games.

You are completely missing my point.
                            I am probably yes.

Hey is it true that in the dark old times they had things called books?

Didn't people in the dark days have things called books that had lots of data in the form of words and graphics that were static, sometimes in colour too? They were printed on separate things called pages which you had to turn manually?

These "books" were housed in huge data repositories called libraries and you could borrow up to 4 or 5 of them at a time.
                            Like, paper and smelling like ink?
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              In the 50's, models were seen and not heard, not the same today. As for them being black, well, would you get your car fixed by a black mechanic, or a white moron?
                              Chances are in the 50's, it got done by a white moron more.
                              Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              I think you're ignoring the legal aspect here. It's legally a lot easier to sue someone for such racism than for discrimination based on looks. Which in some cases was unintentional, since stuff like "we the people" was never meant to include all people.
                              You're both missing the point. Why do you find discrimination based upon attractiveness more acceptable than that based on race, gender or anything else? Why does society as a whole? Why don't we have an equivalent of Martin Luthor King or Susan B Anthony? Why don't we have laws forbidding discrimination based upon appearance?

Legal or not, do you find it ethically or morally acceptable?
                              Last edited by Annoyed; 05 February 2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

You're both missing the point.
                                I thought you asked why people didn't fight it. I didn't know you asked why we accept that people fight it.

Why do you find discrimination based upon attractiveness more acceptable than that based on race, gender or anything else?
                                I don't. But my attention span is finite, and people being dehumanized for their skincolor or stoned for the sexual nature is IMHO far worse than not becoming a cheerleader because you're ugly.

Why does society as a whole?
                                Why don't we have an equivalent of Martin Luthor King or Susan B Anthony? Why don't we have laws forbidding discrimination based upon appearance?

Legal or not, do you find it ethically or morally acceptable?
                                Society as a whole barely got into the whole "racism and sexism is bad" thing (and in some cases, it seems people still aren't over it). what makes you think people aren't trying the same for ugliness? Because it seems to me that stuff like what you mentioned about stewardesses falls under it. But so far, nobody's getting shot or gassed for being ugly. Also, eugenics got stomped pretty hard thanks to the nazi's, so that helped.

In short, there's not nearly as much pressure for it. Though i expect that eventually it'll catch on.

Comment

Working...
                                X