This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pookey View Post
    Lovely work place environment, should have sent you all home till it was fixed, but, that's not the real world is it
    Or work from different offices -- we have a few from where could work, or from home... but nooooo, we can't have that.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      So why isn't the USA paying rent to Germany for having its bases on THEIR soil?

That's how it should work, well in my world it would work that way.
      For one, in your world Germany would need to finance its own defense, on the scale of being able to independently resist a military superpower like Russia, and during the previous century the USSR. That would be a much poorer Germany. US troops presence allows Germany to save billions on defense.

The presence of US forces contributes hugely to local economy though. They purchase fuel, food, water, electricity and other materials locally, the soldiers spend their salaries locally, many locals get employed at USA bases etc.

(Germany contributes about $1 billion annual in indirect costs such as road and infrastructure maintenance, repairs etc. to maintaining USA presence on its land. It's the equivalent of financing the Rammstein base).
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Dude, what you gain in that argument is going to be far, far less than you loose.
        And exactly what do we lose not having the UN In the us?

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          For one, in your world Germany would need to finance its own defense, on the scale of being able to independently resist a military superpower like Russia, and during the previous century the USSR. That would be a much poorer Germany. US troops presence allows Germany to save billions on defense.

The presence of US forces contributes hugely to local economy though. They purchase fuel, food, water, electricity and other materials locally, the soldiers spend their salaries locally, many locals get employed at USA bases etc.

(Germany contributes about $1 billion annual in indirect costs such as road and infrastructure maintenance, repairs etc. to maintaining USA presence on its land. It's the equivalent of financing the Rammstein base).
          No doubt our presence saves Germany a ton of money directly, and provides many other indirect benefits to the German economy.

Perhaps that is why their workers enjoy wage and benefit packages far better than those available to US working stiffs in similar jobs. Just look at how generous their vacation allotments are.

And no doubt that same situation applies in many European nations.

The only mitigating factor, at least in Germany's case is history. In the early part of last century, Germany was the primary instigator of not 1, but 2 world wars.
          I'm not comfortable with them having their own military.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            No doubt our presence saves Germany a ton of money directly, and provides many other indirect benefits to the German economy.

Perhaps that is why their workers enjoy wage and benefit packages far better than those available to US working stiffs in similar jobs. Just look at how generous their vacation allotments are.

How did you come to that conclusion?

The US military presence in Europe means Germany has a strong engineering industry, the workers get paid and can go on holiday?

I think you're overestimating the importance of the US presence.

I mean it's not like Europe has its own economy, and workers rights laws that exists independently of the US..

Well, that's not for you to decide. The US is the only country to ever use nuclear weapons against another nation. And on civilian targets no less. I'm not comfortable with them having nuclear weapons, especially with a toddler prone to temper tantrums in the White House.
            Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 27 March 2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Gimme the nukes, ill take good care of them
              sigpic

Comment

Gimme the nukes, ill take good care of them
                I wouldn't trust you with a spud gun pooks
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Now is there a hint of jealousy I detect there? Most of those benefits and laws are the results of negotiations conducted by the respective unions. The same unions you despise so much if I recall correctly...

The only mitigating factor, at least in Germany's case is history. In the early part of last century, Germany was the primary instigator of not 1, but 2 world wars.
                  And unless the US, Germany learned from the past and the mistakes they made...
                  sigpic

Comment

Thats a bit mean Mr Gatey But youre prolly right, id get em and set them all off at once, BOOM goes this pretty blue planet

And start all over again
                    sigpic

Comment

Thats a bit mean Mr Gatey But youre prolly right, id get em and set them all off at once, BOOM goes this pretty blue planet

And start all over again
                      Mean, I am never mean.................

Besides I see through your ebil plans, you just want to let SQ and PH run your post apocalyptic society

MAGA!!
                      (Make America Glow Again)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        Mean, I am never mean.................
                        Of course not (((Gatey)))))

Besides I see through your ebil plans, you just want to let SQ and PH run your post apocalyptic society
                        And you will be the seer

MAGA!!
                        (Make America Glow Again)
                        Again?
                        sigpic

Comment

We should give pookey a test. Trust her with your children
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Of course not (((Gatey)))))
                            Of course...........
                            And you will be the seer
                            Does that mean I have to be blind and partake of the vapours?
                            I can deal with half of that
                            Again?
                            AGAIN!!!
                            -whips pooks-
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              We should give pookey a test. Trust her with your children
                              Is that a test of her ability, or her sanity?
                              sigpic

Comment

Both.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X