This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    My counter was that the 'cat didn't ignore warning signs getting themselves into trouble, AND cats can easily get down themselves..
    If the cat's too young, then it can get stuck high up that tree. It might have felt adventurous at the base, but all that courage vanished all the way up.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

When i was chatting about that at work, several people said i was brainless for that idea.. Likening it to telling the family of a cat that got 'stranded up a tree, they need to pay up to rescue it'..
      My counter was that the 'cat didn't ignore warning signs getting themselves into trouble, AND cats can easily get down themselves..
      The cat can't read warning signs. But the Human can, or should be able to. Big difference there.

Comment

Being we went door to door against AQ during Iraq and Afgan, it would take a while to root them out..
        We're at war with them, or so I thought. Wars take time.

Mind you, it'd probably help if the current Conservative government didn't keep slashing the defence budget.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          We're at war with them, or so I thought. Wars take time.
          Yes, but unlike WWI and WII countries aren't so willing to risk the lives of their soldiers any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Yes, but unlike WWI and WWII countries aren't so willing to risk the lives of their soldiers any more.
            Sadly true, yes.

We live in an information age, and the sight of dead soldiers coffins being unloaded from transport aircraft has become all too common in the media.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Also, we are in the age of modern warfare with drones and smart bombs, and whatnot.

Comment

Which aren't working.

It's all very well to have satellite coverage of an area, but the problem is the bad guys know when the satellites are overhead and just sit in their wee holes doing bugger all until it passes by.
                sigpic

Comment

Bombing those wee holes will surely make their teeth clatter in their mouths, and could potentially destroy their wee holes.

Comment

I agree with BruTak. Never thought I would say that
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

If the cat's too young, then it can get stuck high up that tree. It might have felt adventurous at the base, but all that courage vanished all the way up.
                      True.. BUT a cat getting stuck up a tree is in no way (IMO) comparable to an adult driving AROUND a police barrier into a flooded street and getting stranded.

Yes, but unlike WWI and WII countries aren't so willing to risk the lives of their soldiers any more.
                      Sadly true, yes.

We live in an information age, and the sight of dead soldiers coffins being unloaded from transport aircraft has become all too common in the media.
                      Very true.. Look at the # of deaths we had in Iraq on it's own.. Some sites list it as 4,488.. Compared to WW1, Vietnam, and WW2, that is a DROP in the bucket so to speak.. Heck in some WW2 battles, that was how many we lost in a WEEK of fighting..

Comment

True.. BUT a cat getting stuck up a tree is in no way (IMO) comparable to an adult driving AROUND a police barrier into a flooded street and getting stranded.
                        Unless the cat can read signs, no it's not.

Comment

Very true.. Look at the # of deaths we had in Iraq on it's own.. Some sites list it as 4,488.. Compared to WW1, Vietnam, and WW2, that is a DROP in the bucket so to speak.. Heck in some WW2 battles, that was how many we lost in a WEEK of fighting..
                          Exactly, yes. It's war. People die in war. Soldiers get killed in war.

I feel we (as a society) have become too sensitive for our own good.
                          sigpic

Comment

Exactly, yes. It's war. People die in war. Soldiers get killed in war.
                            Are you too old to be drafted? Are you willing to lay down your life for your country? Do you have children that can be drafted to lay down their lives?

Will you tell your son or daughter that if it comes to it you want them to kill, take a life, because you prefer bringing them lemonade rather than flowers for their graves? That is, if that grave is known.

Comment

Are you too old to be drafted?
                              Yes. I'm 45. The closest I've come to military service was a brief stint with the local Air Cadets when I was in my early teens.
                              Are you willing to lay down your life for your country?
                              If needs be.
                              Do you have children that can be drafted to lay down their lives?
                              I have no children.

Will you tell your son or daughter that if it comes to it you want them to kill, take a life, because you prefer bringing them lemonade rather than flowers for their graves? That is, if that grave is known.
                              My late father served in the Navy during WWII and had the ship he was serving on torpedoed. Both my grandfathers served in the Army during WWI, with my maternal grandfather fighting in the Battle of the Somme.
                              sigpic

Comment

Are you too old to be drafted? Are you willing to lay down your life for your country? Do you have children that can be drafted to lay down their lives?

I have to question the validity of that question when it comes from a female who is unlikely to be forced to serve in a combat role. You're asking him if he is willing to place his personal hide at risk, when you yourself are not likely to be forced into doing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X