This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I'd rather go to Star Trek and have no money. No need for a job. I'll just stay at home
    Sticking with the Star Wars universe, I'd rather have antigrav too. Gravity is a relentless b****h.

But, for the sake of discussion, how would that money free society work? If everyone can simply stay home and be provided for, who will do the providing? Somebody has to do the work required to make a society function.

Also, consider DS9. Although I never cared for that series, it was set in the TNG era, and there was clearly a monetary society there. People had to do something to put food on their tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      I'd rather have their anti grav technology...... Flying cars baby.
      I won't say no to having repulsorlift vehicles.. Speeders and the like..

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Sticking with the Star Wars universe, I'd rather have antigrav too. Gravity is a relentless b****h.

But, for the sake of discussion, how would that money free society work? If everyone can simply stay home and be provided for, who will do the providing? Somebody has to do the work required to make a society function.

Also, consider DS9. Although I never cared for that series, it was set in the TNG era, and there was clearly a monetary society there. People had to do something to put food on their tables.
        "money free" doesn't necessarily mean "capitalist free"....it could be a bartering system...which would still be capitalist except you're just exchanging your goods/services for someone else's rather than money.....still capitalist though not as flexible since you'd be kinda locked into your stock in trade in a barter economy

you might've seen some of the episodes involving the Ferengi which had a money-based society but one based on greed rather than true capitalism

Comment

You show your lack of taste again
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

OK puts on "Trek nerd hat"

Well you see the invention of replicator technology is what eroded the need for money. It was that simple.
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

For the record, the negative effects of no gravity on your body:

It's not exactly healthy, if subjected to it for longer periods of time.

Weightlessness and Its Effect on Astronauts

The full impact, though, will be in the recent study of one half of the astronaut twin having spend a year in space, and the other on Earth.

Instead of money, people have credits. The exchange something valuable for something of equal value has always existed and will always exist though. From rocks and shells to coins and paper, and plastic.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                For the record, the negative effects of no gravity on your body:

It's not exactly healthy, if subjected to it for longer periods of time.

Weightlessness and Its Effect on Astronauts

The full impact, though, will be in the recent study of one half of the astronaut twin having spend a year in space, and the other on Earth.
                I mean having the ability to turn it off when needed. SW characters don't float around their planets surfaces unless they want to.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Instead of money, people have credits. The exchange something valuable for something of equal value has always existed and will always exist though. From rocks and shells to coins and paper, and plastic.
                Who cares if its called dollars, money or credits. All are mediums of exchange, and are therefore "money". So it wouldn't fit the definition of a moneyless society as described by Picard in "First Contact", and referred to by jelgate earlier.
                'd rather go to Star Trek and have no money. No need for a job. I'll just stay at home

Comment

I mean having the ability to turn it off when needed. SW characters don't float around their planets surfaces unless they want to.
                  Sounds like fun, except I'd be puking my guts out. Motion sickness will do that.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                    you might've seen some of the episodes involving the Ferengi which had a money-based society but one based on greed rather than ie. true capitalism
                    fixed

Comment

He dissed DS9?

*slaps Annoyed*
                      *and sets Chubbs on him*
                      sigpic

Comment

It was probably too complex for him
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

And before even assuming office, Trump seems to have retained US jobs again.

Ford to scrap Mexico plant, invest in Michigan; CEO cites Trump policies

Before he's even taken office, President-elect Donald Trump has proven to be quite the job creator.

Ford Motor Company announced Tuesday it will cancel a $1.6 billion plant planned for Mexico and will instead invest $700 million in a Michigan assembly plant, directly tying the decision to “pro-growth policies” championed by President-elect Donald Trump.

Comment

There is something funny going off there
                            sigpic

Comment

And before even assuming office, Trump seems to have retained US jobs again.

Ford to scrap Mexico plant, invest in Michigan; CEO cites Trump policies
                              Indeed!!

http://theweek.com/speedreads/666364...done-by-robots

https://thinkprogress.org/carrier-au...297#.o6ggjjafg

He hasn't saved anything. He's causing more people to lose jobs to automation

His tweets attacking companies like Boeing and General Motors are wiping billions off their share values.

And he isn't even President yet.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X