Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's about the only reason I can think of, arrogance.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Cause his dads bigger than your dad
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Of course I know the shuttle program died w/out a replacement. But we did have it for a lot of years. And some of its missions and cargo packages were classified military.

And yes, I know, this is conjecture, or "way down the rabbit hole" in your terms. It is all guesswork. But I just don't think anyone besides the US could do something like this.
        The US didn't believe rockets were possible. Your space program is based entirely on the work of German scientists.

Comment

You are of course referring to Wernher von Braun, who was the driving mind behind Germany's rocket programs during WWII, and a number of other technicians and scientists who were recruited by the U.S. after the war, despite the opposition of the administration at the time.

Clearly, we changed our mind at some point.

Comment

After the German scientists fleeing a fascist regime helped advance your technology.

The point is your "only the US can do it" claim is clearly wrong. The US wouldn't have the technology it has now without outside help.

And now with Trump demanding the names of all those who oppose his opinions on how the world works from government departments, I expect we're going to something similar happen again..

All your modern devices that are based around computer technology come from the work of Alan Turing, a gay British man..

Comment

Rarely does one country in history have a monopoly on technological advancement. It's no coincidence that Europe finally started to advance technologically at the same time it increased trade with the rest of the world. The printing press? Impossible without the advancements of Asian and Middle Eastern techniques that were used by old Gutenberg himself. Very little has changed in to this day. Sure some nations do have more than others, but the US has never been the only one to do anything for an extended period of time.

That said, it's also safe to say that whatever the US invents, Russia copies and China steals. So if the US ever does have something to hold over other nations, it won't last.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, was Wernher von Braun working for Germany in the 1950's and 60's? No, he was working for the U.S.
                Yes, Alan Turing was important to the initial development of computers. Does that make him the creator of all computer tech developed since?

You're saying that our developments are the result of outside help. I disagree.
                Look at the history of technical development since WWII. What technology, particularly technology with military applications was developed by nations other than the U.S.?

Yes, there is an element of national pride here. But can you really deny that the US has been the leader in development of technology, especially where it might have military application?

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

That said, it's also safe to say that whatever the US invents, Russia copies and China steals. So if the US ever does have something to hold over other nations, it won't last.
                  Pretty good motivation for keeping "Star Wars" under our hat, if it was developed successfully if you ask me.

Comment

Oh, was Wernher von Braun working for Germany in the 1950's and 60's? No, he was working for the U.S.
                    Yes, Alan Turing was important to the initial development of computers. Does that make him the creator of all computer tech developed since?

You're saying that our developments are the result of outside help. I disagree.
                    Look at the history of technical development since WWII. What technology, particularly technology with military applications was developed by nations other than the U.S.?

Yes, there is an element of national pride here. But can you really deny that the US has been the leader in development of technology, especially where it might have military application?
                    Being the leader of any particular technological advancement is not the same as being the only one capable of said technological advancement.

Pretty good motivation for keeping "Star Wars" under our hat, if it was developed successfully if you ask me.
                    But that brings us back to the issue of deterrence. What use is it, if it isn't going to be useful for deterrence? It won't prevent any wars. And if they get it...well...if the technology exists, they will eventually get it if they haven't already. Not to mention the massive spy rings all three countries have. And Trump isn't going to be kicking out Russian spies...if anything he'll welcome them.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

As long as i get a lightsaber out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        That's about the only reason I can think of, arrogance.
                        Doesn't that come before the fall?
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Doesn't that come before the fall?
                          Nah, that's pride.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            As long as i get a lightsaber out of it!

I'd rather have their anti grav technology...... Flying cars baby.
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Nah, that's pride.
                              Oh yeah, right.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                                I'd rather have their anti grav technology...... Flying cars baby.
                                I'd rather go to Star Trek and have no money. No need for a job. I'll just stay at home
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X