Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print out map quest to get around before hand. Or have someone reading from a map.

Pull to the side of the road to make that emergency call..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      In related news to all thse auto manufacturers. With all the current chatter about death from 'distracted driving' cause of texting/emailing etc by cell phone users while driving, why has not one auto maker looked into tech that shuts down (or just blocks) Cell phones working while the vehicle engine is turned on/in operation??
      This technology exists. I know there are GPS systems which deny change when a person is driving, so you can't tinker while driving.

Plus, every new build car in the last 5 years has a handsfree set installed (bluetooth or otherwise). Ford even has a system in their cars which allows for texting. Just say the words, and the system does the rest, including reading messages out to you.

Emergencies are generally things where seconds count.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Or have someone reading from a map.
        Which is how us old fogies used to do it in the days before satnav and GPS.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Which is how us old fogies used to do it in the days before satnav and GPS.
          Hey, I still have a map in my car - just in case.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Zombie prepper..............................

sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

This pile just keeps getting smellier and smellier.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/09...ting-software/

Comment

Print out map quest to get around before hand. Or have someone reading from a map.

I did use Mapquest before I had a GPS or smartphone and found having to read the map more distracting than having the GPS tell you the directions over your car stereo? I'm usually travelling alone, so having someone else reading from a map isn't an option.

Something does need to be done about distracted driving, but that was a problem well before smartphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I can remember when I used to go on holiday with my folks, I'd be appointed navigator and would sit with the map while dad drove, and mum went into a tizzy if we went over forty miles an hour.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Apparently you never left the city if your mother complained about going over 40 mph or your country has some very low speed limits
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Apparently you never left the city if your mother complained about going over 40 mph or your country has some very low speed limits
                      It was more "Going over 40mph on narrow country roads when you've no clue what's round the next corner".
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        It was more "Going over 40mph on narrow country roads when you've no clue what's round the next corner".
                        At night in fog?

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                          I did use Mapquest before I had a GPS or smartphone and found having to read the map more distracting than having the GPS tell you the directions over your car stereo? I'm usually travelling alone, so having someone else reading from a map isn't an option.

Something does need to be done about distracted driving, but that was a problem well before smartphones.
                          A phone is a far bigger issue than a momentary distraction to pop a disc in or change the radio station, in addition, it has been shown that a radio can be helpful in keeping a driver alert; a long drive can be a mind-numbing exercise in boredom.

Very often the conversation itself distracts the driver so that his attention is on the conversation, rather than the task at hand, in addtion to all the other things people do on their phones these days.

Comment

in that case ain't driving with passengers also dangerous? (unless they shut up)

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                              At night in fog?
                              Broad daylight. Mum isn't particularly fond of going at speed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                in that case ain't driving with passengers also dangerous? (unless they shut up)
                                People seem to place a higher priority on phone conversations than on real ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X