This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
    that's the obvious solution but there's the eternal problem of personnel requiring legit access from outside (for different reasons such as admin maintenance etc.)
    If someone needs access, they can come to the site and access it. Allowing remote access is just a convenience. Giving up security for the sake of convenience isn't a good idea to begin with, particularly when it's not even your own information that is at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Allowing remote access is just a convenience
      a very useful one at that
      what if the chief tech's thousands of miles away & a critical security bug in the server has to be fixed asap?

giving up security for convenience is something we do all the time (else why use cars? (and why let women use cars?))
      Last edited by SoulReaver; 16 September 2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        But you're a Trump fanboy. He does all of that. So I am not buying it.

There's a ton of logistical issues with that. Pro's and Con's and all.
        I know....just sayin' that there are some advantages to not hooking up every single computer in the world to a central access point like the internet

I've heard that some small business people have gone back to either using the "knucklebusters" (mechanical devices requiring carbon paper to make a carbon copy imprint of credit card info....so named because these devices can be very hard on a person's knuckles) or simply handwriting the credit card info on a sales slip (and giving a copy to the purchaser using said credit card) because of the almost daily occurrences of electronic data breaches....the only drawback to this "old school" approach that I can see is that you won't know if the credit card can actually accept the charge or decline it until you present the paper slips at the bank for payment whereas with an electronic credit card reader you'll know right away if the card gets declined for whatever reason

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          If someone needs access, they can come to the site and access it. Allowing remote access is just a convenience. Giving up security for the sake of convenience isn't a good idea to begin with, particularly when it's not even your own information that is at risk.
          Interesting.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

which state do you live in? some are more fascist than others (Arizona & Texass come to mind)o
            I have heard some say that of AZ.. Cause of their laws "Regardless of who's at fault, someone goes to jail."
            and 9 times out of 10, its the guy.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            More of the same, breaking privacy rules and dropping confidential files in public.

The Russians are just PO'd they weren't allowed to take part in the Olympics (a few were allowed, but none at the Paralympics) for their abuse of illegal enhancers.
            I've often wondered why we can't do much TO these countries that do these hacks with their govts know (and in china's case, their OK)..

Hackers will always find a way -- so best to store it all in your head.
            True, they can dumpster dive, pay off someone who stores the paper files etc.. BUT those are a heck of a lot harder to do than crack someone's firewall..

exactly a very valuable one
            what if the chief tech's thousands of miles away & a critical security bug in the server has to be fixed asap?
            Which is why its never a good idea to have just ONE person who can do it all.. Have 3-5, so that if one IS away (say on holiday or business), you still have people who can fix it.

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            I know....just sayin' that there are some advantages to not hooking up every single computer in the world to a central access point like the internet

I've heard that some small business people have gone back to either using the "knucklebusters" (mechanical devices requiring carbon paper to make a carbon copy imprint of credit card info....so named because these devices can be very hard on a person's knuckles) or simply handwriting the credit card info on a sales slip (and giving a copy to the purchaser using said credit card) because of the almost daily occurrences of electronic data breaches....the only drawback to this "old school" approach that I can see is that you won't know if the credit card can actually accept the charge or decline it until you present the paper slips at the bank for payment whereas with an electronic credit card reader you'll know right away if the card gets declined for whatever reason
            And IMO its harder to detect credit card fraud that way, cause who knows what that store does with those carbon sheets..

Now back to that whole rape thinggy.. Over on another site discussing rape, male rape etc.. Someone brought up a strange fact that men who do get raped, not only are less likely to be belived, but if their rapist got pregnant, THEY can then sue the male they victimized for child support..
            I didn't believe him at first, then i looked it up and there's at least one case law precedent for it..
            Again coming from that great state of Kansas
            http://law.justia.com/cases/kansas/s.../67-978-3.html

The same state that made a sperm doner to a lesbian couple who were married, pay child support cause they got divorced, and the one who kept the kid wanted someone to help pay for it..

Comment

All those Republican states.................
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Interesting.
                Twice now, you said this.

And in other news...

American health care at its finest:

EpiPen Maker Mylan Quietly Steers Effort to Protect Its Price
                What Happens if EpiPens Get the ‘Preventive’ Label?

"Mylan, the maker of EpiPens, an injection device for severe allergy attacks, is trying to persuade the United States Preventive Services Task Force to add the product to the group’s list of preventive medical services. That could make EpiPens available to patients with no insurance co-pay. It could also benefit the company by allowing it to raise prices on the product while limiting complaints from the public. The higher prices would be pushed to the government, insurers or employers."

And they will without a doubt transfer that higher price to the public so everyone looses in the end, except Mylan.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The epipen makers have already price gouged.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    The epipen makers have already price gouged.

with the blessings of their allies in the FDA, who work tirelessly to make considerably more asinine rules that would-be competitors to Big Pharma must follow, to the point of making it very costly to compete against Big Pharma

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      I have heard some say that of AZ.. Cause of their laws "Regardless of who's at fault, someone goes to jail."
                      and 9 times out of 10, its the guy.

I've often wondered why we can't do much TO these countries that do these hacks with their govts know (and in china's case, their OK)..

True, they can dumpster dive, pay off someone who stores the paper files etc.. BUT those are a heck of a lot harder to do than crack someone's firewall..

Which is why its never a good idea to have just ONE person who can do it all.. Have 3-5, so that if one IS away (say on holiday or business), you still have people who can fix it.

And IMO its harder to detect credit card fraud that way, cause who knows what that store does with those carbon sheets..

Now back to that whole rape thinggy.. Over on another site discussing rape, male rape etc.. Someone brought up a strange fact that men who do get raped, not only are less likely to be belived, but if their rapist got pregnant, THEY can then sue the male they victimized for child support..
                      I didn't believe him at first, then i looked it up and there's at least one case law precedent for it..
                      Again coming from that great state of Kansas
                      http://law.justia.com/cases/kansas/s.../67-978-3.html

The same state that made a sperm doner to a lesbian couple who were married, pay child support cause they got divorced, and the one who kept the kid wanted someone to help pay for it..
                      well the obvious thing to do would be to either shred or burn the carbon paper used to make the copies....handwriting on a sales slip though might not require carbon paper if you have the kind of sales slips that come in little "booklets" of 2 or 3 sheets of different colors and all you have to do is press really hard when you write to make the copies....but you'd still have to store the other copies securely....perhaps by simply storing the store copies in a combination-locked safe or by scanning the store copies onto a secure internet-less computer and burning or shredding the hardcopies

Comment

And they will without a doubt transfer that higher price to the public so everyone looses in the end, except Mylan.
                        I am sorry, but if that company doesn't deserve a charge of price gouging, i don't know what qualifies anymore..

well the obvious thing to do would be to either shred or burn the carbon paper used to make the copies....handwriting on a sales slip though might not require carbon paper if you have the kind of sales slips that come in little "booklets" of 2 or 3 sheets of different colors and all you have to do is press really hard when you write to make the copies....but you'd still have to store the other copies securely....perhaps by simply storing the store copies in a combination-locked safe or by scanning the store copies onto a secure internet-less computer and burning or shredding the hardcopies
                        I much prefer the burning option... Unless a cross cut shredder is being used.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          I am sorry, but if that company doesn't deserve a charge of price gouging, i don't know what qualifies anymore..
                          I'd say the Government should be able to destroy their copyright/patent and allow other companies to produce epipens, then other companies can produce and sell them at a bargain price and undercut the motive behind it. However, there is a nasty slippery slope and issue of incentives.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

In the end, the people who need the pen are screwed one way or another.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

would be funny if there was someone named Brunt in the FDA

"Brunt....FDA"

Comment

Story of my life
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X