This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

Here's the point. A woman is weak and inferior. Seeing a woman being strangled by a man is like seeing a man kicking a helpless animal. A helpless animal is weak and inferior, thus people become outraged. This is the psychology behind the outrage. It exemplifies how deeply ingrained sexism is, even a feminist goes along with the logic.
    SoulReaver? I know that's you. Take off the mask *pulls at Tood's face*

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      SoulReaver? I know that's you. Take off the mask *pulls at Tood's face*
      nonsense - as a staunch feminist I support equality for everyone (especially women)

Comment

Isn't this also showing how women are NOT equal and still considered less and thus in need of protection that men don't need?
        Clearly, Apocalypse is doing it wrong.

The problem is that men are too scared to admit when they are the ones being beaten to a pulp by their wives. So who's inferior now?

Here's the point. A woman is weak and inferior. Seeing a woman being strangled by a man is like seeing a man kicking a helpless animal. A helpless animal is weak and inferior, thus people become outraged. This is the psychology behind the outrage. It exemplifies how deeply ingrained sexism is, even a feminist goes along with the logic.
        That right there is what's wrong with this male society -- but nope, nothing to see here.

Had it been Quicksilver or Wolverine getting strangled instead, no one would think anything about it. Because they are men, thus are equals with Apocalypse. Mystique, a woman, is not his equal thus merits protection. Sexism is a tricky thing. I mean, Kill Bill shows the main character get beat pretty bad (while dealing beatings of her own). Does that glorify violence against women?
        Never saw Kill Bill so can't comment on that.

I fail to see how Apocalypse strangling Wolverine or Quicksilver or any other male character shows them as equals. Wouldn't that suggest the male being strangled is weak and inferior to the big bad? Same logic applies.

That ad was rape? I fail to see the comparison...
        I was trying to convey the point of standards.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          The problem is that men are too scared to admit when they are the ones being beaten to a pulp by their wives. So who's inferior now?
          of course they're scared & inferior: they're not men

That right there is what's wrong with this male society -- but nope, nothing to see here.
          yes, look elsewhere plz

Comment

PH & FH.
            I think you missed the point of what Tood seemed to be saying here.
            He's not so much talking about sexism, but the source of "outrage" and what triggers that outrage.
            Noting that very few people (including feminists) would care if it was a male character because they are not perceived as "weak" is not a judgement, he's just noting that it is so ingrained that even they will use that same "it's ok" logic.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The whole strangling Mystique thing just feels like a silly thing to rage over.
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                IIRC (and its been a long time) we had separate classes for science and physics, but now the two are combined into just science, meaning the spare hour is now dedicated to these stupid citizenship classes where they teach the kids to say please and thank you and how to be tolerant to other cultures (among other crazy things), something the parents should have done a decade ago.
                First time i have heard of a school doing 'citizenship classes'..

To be fair, I'm not opposed to this idea. It would be good to have some of what you are talking about in school. However there are logistical issues involved. We would have to rethink the entire system all together. I guess the question is, should schools be vocational or academic? Is it a job training or an educational endeavor? If both, to what ratio?
                How's about up through say 9th grade, we go 'academic' but once they hit 10th and beyond, they get the choice.. Stay academic, or go vocational / trade craft?

Yes, why should they learn about tolerance and other cultures. That's just crazy. Or to be respectful to one another... Crazy that is!

A school in The Netherlands fixed the say please and thank you with a simple solution. If you don't say please and thank you at the counter when buying your drink or snack, the kids have to pay 50 cent more than the usual price. Now there's a crazy idea...
                I agree. Some sort of civics classes are great. BUT to the level i have heard (horror stories) how some go, praising all other cultures while at the same time telling students "Don't be proud in the USA, it might be a micro-aggression", is NOT imo the way to go..

As to that school.. Wow that's harsh.

You're missing the point of the complaint.

The problem with the poster is that it's Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) choking the living daylights out of Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) without any sort of background.
                So if the poster showed a female villain choking a male character, it would be ok??

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                I didn't say I was fat.. I said I was sick.. I weighed about 90 lbs when I was in my teens..
                I wasn't trying to claim YOU were pharaoh.. Just a general comment.
                Heck even when I went to HS in 90-91 it was elective..

Many i have heard of, are scared cause they see society as seeing them weak for getting beaten up. BUT then harp on them if they DO defend themselves and fight back.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  First time i have heard of a school doing 'citizenship classes'..
                  You guys called it Civics.
                  How's about up through say 9th grade, we go 'academic' but once they hit 10th and beyond, they get the choice.. Stay academic, or go vocational / trade craft?
                  Look out, you might end up with a system like ours
                  Going to TAFE (technical college) is an option from year 10 onwards, you can even get school credit for getting an apprenticeship at that age.
                  Of course, getting that chance, and being encouraged to go in that direction is often helped by teachers, you know, those people that get blamed for everything............
                  I agree. Some sort of civics classes are great. BUT to the level i have heard (horror stories) how some go, praising all other cultures while at the same time telling students "Don't be proud in the USA, it might be a micro-aggression", is NOT imo the way to go..
                  It's not the way to go, you are quite right G-man, but often *as an outsider* I see Americans being proud "because 'murrica", not for any of their achievements, or any other measurable indicator, just simply "Cause 'murrica". I find that just as stupid (and usually as uninformed) as "Cause s'traylia" is out here. Be proud of what you can achieve, not where random chance put you. Nationalism is a two headed beast IMHO. It can bring out the best in people in times of war, but can often be the -cause- of war in times of peace.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post

So if the poster showed a female villain choking a male character, it would be ok??

But of course that's right, if it had been Black Widow or someone beating up a guy on the poster no one would complain. smh
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

And there lies the logistical issue. The basics to what? There are so many things. And at what ages? Routine car maintenance? What's the point in teaching how to change the oil if cars continue to get complex to the point that it becomes risky (as in might damage the car) to do it yourself at all? Air conditioning? Refrigerators? Basic carpentry? I mean, like I said I am for some of it. But there will always be something basic that a kid ought to learn.
                      So mindless drones unable to change a fuse or spark plug it is then. Oil is an integral part of a car, along with water it's part of the weekly maintance schedule, are you really saying it's better for a person to take their car to the garage once a week to have the oil and water checked than it is teach them to do it themselves?

Not that I bought up the car maintaince idea, but what is that saying? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. You're basically saying you advocate the former.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                        So mindless drones unable to change a fuse or spark plug it is then. Oil is an integral part of a car, along with water it's part of the weekly maintance schedule, are you really saying it's better for a person to take their car to the garage once a week to have the oil and water checked than it is teach them to do it themselves?
                        Once more proving that people cannot READ.
                        Tell you what, communication is something that people use every day, yet people seem to have utterly no issue with having any ability to do that at all.
                        Tood said IF, not that they are, and changing oil is not something you need to do every week unless your car has more problems than needing oil. Topping up your oil on the other hand, and being able to check if it needs replacing via the dipstick? That is a totally different issue, much like being able to replace a circuit breaker, or a spark plug. (you know, the basics........)
                        Not that I bought up the car maintaince idea, but what is that saying? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. You're basically saying you advocate the former.
                        No, just trust the professional to build you your carbon fibre high tensile rod and fix it when you stuff it up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Some people are dipsticks and cant do that
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            It's not the way to go, you are quite right G-man, but often *as an outsider* I see Americans being proud "because 'murrica", not for any of their achievements, or any other measurable indicator, just simply "Cause 'murrica". I find that just as stupid (and usually as uninformed) as "Cause s'traylia" is out here. Be proud of what you can achieve, not where random chance put you. Nationalism is a two headed beast IMHO. It can bring out the best in people in times of war, but can often be the -cause- of war in times of peace.
                            The U.S. used to have a great deal to be proud of. Not so much anymore. Hell, we're teaching our young that to be proud of this country is impolite.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              The U.S. used to have a great deal to be proud of. Not so much anymore. Hell, we're teaching our young that to be proud of this country is impolite.
                              The US had -people- to be proud of, to aspire to be. It still does.
                              If you are upset about your education system teaching the facts of the darker side of your history, that's no one's problem but yours.
                              You were complaining about kids being taught that the US is the only nation to use nukes, but hey, you -are- the only people to do it, that's just the truth. You can say using them saved a land battle, and it may have, but that situation never happened, so you can't use that "projection" as fact.
                              sigpic

Comment

But lets use all the facts. People seem to forget that Germany was also racing to build nuclear weapons. We just beat them. I suppose its technical conjecture that Germany was going to use them against the Allies. However, in my history classes it was more than facts. It was also about using facts to explain actions and people
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X