Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's easy to say that know when your life is not in danger. I say none of us know what we will do until our life threaten
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I still pick flight as I have no love for weapons - actual, real life weapons that can seriously hurt or kill someone.

Fact: I'm not even capable of killing a fish, and felt horribly guilty for having to dump life goldfish in a pit just for being unfit to be sold.
      I share your respect for life, regardless of size, even though I know full well that in order to live myself, other creatures have to die so that I can eat, that my mere existence causes the death of numerous small creatures such as insects, etc.

For all we know, we are re-incarnated when we die, but not necessarily as humans. That insect that just met it's death on your windshield might have been your dear, departed aunt Matilda at one time.

With that said, if another human chooses to attack me or mine, I will use whatever force is required to stop him, without a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        It's easy to say that know when your life is not in danger. I say none of us know what we will do until our life threaten
        Well, seeing as I was put in that situation at the age of 16, I am pretty sure I know what I will do. Use whatever I have available as a weapon or way to get out of the situation with my hide intact. I wasn't concerned about the well being of the attackers in the slightest.

This was in the mid 70's, and I was in an apprenticeship program at a local radio station through a program at school.
        I had been at the station, located in the downtown area of a mid sized city, and had parked in a narrow alley behind the station.

I was returning to my car, just unlocking the door when I heard someone at the end of the alley. 3 criminal types approaching me, brandishing knives. It's amazing how fast you can get into your car when fear is the motivator.

This was back in the middle of the CB radio craze this country went through as a result of the imposition of the 55 MPH speed limit a few years prior. So I of course had a CB in this car, and I had hooked up a bullhorn to the PA jack on the radio.

Started the car, grabbed the mike and threw it into gear in one motion, yelled a warning into the mike and hit the gas. Hit two of 'em on the way out of the alley, the third must have heeded the warning and gotten out of the way.

Once safe, I called the cops over that radio. Turned out that an officer had seen the incident, but had been too far away to intervene. But he had seen that my actions were entirely in self defense, so I was never even charged in the matter.

Comment

I have not been in a situation where I am in some form of danger, unless you count that one time I nearly got knocked over the head for getting in someone's dance way at a party and that one time a guy tried to push me to the ground and mug me. The first case was dissolved in a calmly fashion where I chose to leave the idiot to her space, the second I bumped into the gate of my appartment building. Grumbled and walked on - didn't realize his intentions until much later when I read an article about a mugging (the description of the modus operandi and of the mugger fit the guy to a T).
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The problem is that flight isn't always an option. Personal self defense, recreation, and hunting are the only real legitimate reasons to have guns in my book. You don't kneed a 50 cal on the back of a Humvee for personal defense nor an AT-4 launcher. A handgun works just fine, unless you find yourself in a literal warzone.

Basic handguns that have minimal recoil, easy to handle, and easy to carry would be the best weapon for self defense. If you find that you need anything bigger, then gun ownership should be the least of your worries. I mean, why would gangs come after you with heavy artillery?

I'm no bodybuilder, if the mythical "gentle giant" comes after me I would feel a lot safer with a handgun than my two feet or my two fists. And yes, I don't believe in gentle giants. It has been my experience and observation that big people feel a lot more at liberty to use physical force than smaller people for obvious reasons.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              So, those who have been granted slight builds and poor physical strength are to be at the mercy of those who have been granted large frames and strong builds?
              No.
              Yes, I know, people of smaller builds and physiques can be deadly enemies in unarmed combat through specialized training, but in general, those of slight build are at a decided disadvantage in unarmed combat.
              You mean like, an unarmed "big bully" Vs a gun?
              Firearms provide a way for those folks to stand on an even footing with their larger attackers.
              No, they do not.
              They provide access to easy lethal force.
              Until you realise this, there is no point in this conversation.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                The problem is that flight isn't always an option. Personal self defense, recreation, and hunting are the only real legitimate reasons to have guns in my book. You don't kneed a 50 cal on the back of a Humvee for personal defense nor an AT-4 launcher. A handgun works just fine, unless you find yourself in a literal warzone.

Basic handguns that have minimal recoil, easy to handle, and easy to carry would be the best weapon for self defense. If you find that you need anything bigger, then gun ownership should be the least of your worries. I mean, why would gangs come after you with heavy artillery?

I'm no bodybuilder, if the mythical "gentle giant" comes after me I would feel a lot safer with a handgun than my two feet or my two fists. And yes, I don't believe in gentle giants. It has been my experience and observation that big people feel a lot more at liberty to use physical force than smaller people for obvious reasons.
                re: bolded

like Detroit?

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I have, twice with guns.
                  Both times with the guns, I did what I was told because it was not my life being directly threatened, it was a workmate. I few other times, when it was knives, I have fought off my attackers because I had access to equally useful, if not as lethal weapons. (1 person with a 6" knife vs a guy with a 6 ft pole, broom or not).

I have no desire to kill someone because they threaten me, merely the desire not to get killed myself.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    I have no desire to kill someone because they threaten me, merely the desire not to get killed myself.
                    That's what I would say, but I must admit I don't know if I could defend myself by using a gun even if I had one ready at hand. I wasn't trained that way and do you think everybody could do what you did? (no offense!!!)
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

I'm still running.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

Originally Posted by Annoyed
                        So, those who have been granted slight builds and poor physical strength are to be at the mercy of those who have been granted large frames and strong builds?
                        No.
                        Then what keeps the bully / thief / criminal in check? How does the person with a slight build stop the overgrown bully? Assume there is no police immediately available?

Comment

You run like hell and make all the noise you can make...

Comment

And now for the in-flight entertainment.....

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...gency-landing/
                            There are plenty of stories of frustrated passengers coming to blows on cramped flights.

But this time it was a passenger who got in the middle of a brawl between two female flight attendants during an altercation that forced the pilot to make an unscheduled landing, according to the Aviation Herald.

The flight attendants reportedly had a disagreement over work issues on Delta flight 2598 traveling from Los Angeles to Minneapolis Jan. 22.

When a third woman on the plane tried to break up the fight and was also hit by the brawling flight attendants the captain made the decision to land the Boeing 757. The flight was grounded for about 80 minutes and finally landed in Minneapolis with a delay of 75 minutes.

The airline later sent a letter of apology to passengers, stating: “Some of our team members did not display their best behavior. We expect our flight crew to be nothing but courteous and professional at all times and what you experienced was far from that. I am sorry we didn’t deliver on our brand promise for you today.”
                            Unless the airline confiscated everyone's phones (which wouldn't surprise me in the least), this ought to be viral on youtube before long.

Did they give out free popcorn?

Comment

It was prolly better than the film
                              sigpic

Comment

Pookey was probably one of the flight attendants
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X