Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper spray is also considered an illegal weapon in Belgium - as is a baseball-bat (so not a good idea to have it lying around in the car). Doesn't mean, people don't have a small cannister rolling around in their bags.

I have another, similar something. A Dutch retired soldier joined the Kurds fighting against IS. He's now on trial for killing and wounding IS-fighters. Him joining as a civilian is against Dutch rules.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Pepper spray is also classed as an offensive weapon not just in Scotland, but the whole of the UK. It is likely that you would be charged with possession of, and using, an offensive weapon.

The law is very specific, and is laid out in Section 5(1) (b) of the firearms act 1968. This act prohibits any weapon of any description, designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other substance.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
        Pepper spray is also classed as an offensive weapon not just in Scotland, but the whole of the UK. It is likely that you would be charged with possession of, and using, an offensive weapon.

The law is very specific, and is laid out in Section 5(1) (b) of the firearms act 1968. This act prohibits any weapon of any description, designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other substance.
        the idiots that make up these laws do realize that people's hands can also be very effective offensive weapons, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          the idiots that make up these laws do realize that people's hands can also be very effective offensive weapons, right?
          Yes, they are, extremely well aware of it.
          Like, as if they think that someone can defend themselves without needing lethal force..............
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

So, those who have been granted slight builds and poor physical strength are to be at the mercy of those who have been granted large frames and strong builds?

Yes, I know, people of smaller builds and physiques can be deadly enemies in unarmed combat through specialized training, but in general, those of slight build are at a decided disadvantage in unarmed combat.

Firearms provide a way for those folks to stand on an even footing with their larger attackers.

Comment

The better question would be if there's a problem with people getting attacked in FH-land.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                So, those who have been granted slight builds and poor physical strength are to be at the mercy of those who have been granted large frames and strong builds?
                Ever heard of running away? Or calling for extra help (although people are likely not going to respond)?

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                The better question would be if there's a problem with people getting attacked in FH-land.
                Not really. They happen but certainly not every day or every month.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post

Yes, I know, people of smaller builds and physiques can be deadly enemies in unarmed combat through specialized training, but in general, those of slight build are at a decided disadvantage in unarmed combat.

Firearms provide a way for those folks to stand on an even footing with their larger attackers.
                  Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Ever heard of running away? Or calling for extra help (although people are likely not going to respond)?
                  Why should they have to flee? Isn't that just granting the larger person a weapon to wield over the smaller? An assailant who can physically overpower a smaller person can easily kill his victim without a "weapon", as their larger size gives him one naturally.

If someone chooses to attack another person, shouldn't the potential be there for the attacker's life to be forfeit, just as the victim's is? Or should their larger size give them a right to attack those who are smaller?

Comment

Fight or flight instinct - I say flight gives me a better chance at survival than fight. Possibly even makes me the smarter person.

Comment

Poke him in the eye and then run. Best to use both strategies.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Better yet, shoot him and then get the hell out of there. If circumstances allow, maybe try for a non-fatal shot, but the victim's priority should be to stop the assailant or thief. The attacker started this, and if the victim can finish it, I'm not going to quibble over the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Fight or flight instinct - I say flight gives me a better chance at survival than fight. Possibly even makes me the smarter person.
                          but if everyone started standing their ground and fighting their attacker(s)....bullies everywhere perhaps might start thinking twice before bullying anybody

bullies are cowards at heart....that's why they actively seek those they perceive as smaller and weaker than they to pick on

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            but if everyone started standing their ground and fighting their attacker(s)[EDIT] And having the tools to successfully do so at hand[/EDIT]....bullies everywhere perhaps might start thinking twice before bullying anybody

bullies are cowards at heart....that's why they actively seek those they perceive as smaller and weaker than they to pick on
                            Best way I could make the point.

Comment

shoot em,knife em, do whatever is necessary to protect yourself, then flee the scene, say nothing to no one
                              sigpic

Comment

I still pick flight as I have no love for weapons - actual, real life weapons that can seriously hurt or kill someone.

Fact: I'm not even capable of killing a fish, and felt horribly guilty for having to dump life goldfish in a pit just for being unfit to be sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X