This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly. To get enough income for the state to do that proposal, everyone working for a living would have to get taxed rather high, around 40% at the bare minimum imo.
    1: What proposal
    2: 40% blanket tax my butt.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The Finnish plan explained --> Finland is considering giving every citizen a basic income
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Click Bait!!!
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Exactly. To get enough income for the state to do that proposal, everyone working for a living would have to get taxed rather high, around 40% at the bare minimum imo.
          Hate to break it to you, but if you count all the taxes we pay, we're already over 40%. Its closer to 50%.

What is tax freedom day in NY? I think it was May 8th in 2015?
          So we have to work almost half the year just to pay the taxes that are already levied upon us.

Comment

That article does have some interesting points.
            It may sound counterintuitive, but the proposal is meant to tackle unemployment. Finland’s unemployment rate is at a 15-year high and a basic income would allow people to take on low-paying jobs without personal cost. At the moment, a temporary job results in lower welfare benefits, which can lead to an overall drop in income.
            So, essentially the idea is to have the government step in and provide income that the country's trashed economy isn't providing. The economy, at least, seem to share that trait with the U.S.
            Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the damned economy so that it does provide jobs for the citizens?

One of the major downsides, of course, is the cost of handing out money to so many people. Liisa Hyssälä, director general of KELA, has said that the plan will save the government millions. But, as Bloomberg calculated, giving €800 of basic income to the population of 5.4 million every month would cost €52.2 billion a year. Finland only plans to give the basic income to adults, not every citizen, but with around 4.9 million adults in Finland, this would still cost €46.7 billion per year. The government expects to have €49.1 billion in revenue in 2016.
            So, the cost of this plan will be almost the entire budget of the country? Sounds affordable. NOT!

There is plenty of other things to pick apart, but this alone ought to be enough to discard the plan with other fantasy schemes to get money from thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Wouldn't it make more sense to fix the damned economy so that it does provide jobs for the citizens?
              Maybe it's a way to relieve the economy of a certain pressure and create opportunity to find it's footing again so that these folks can get back on track.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              There is plenty of other things to pick apart, but this alone ought to be enough to discard the plan with other fantasy schemes to get money from thin air.
              It would require a complete overhaul of the social security system - something Americans are not yet familiar with.

Comment

To fill in a dull moment at work or at home or wherever --> Scrippsmedia.com <-- collecting news that's trending, though it looks to be American news only.

Comment

And we have a new entry in the "How greedy is your state" contest...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...ling-snow.html

Just days ahead of an expected blizzard on the East Coast, New Jersey has officially repealed a nonsensical rule banning the shoveling of snow without a license.

Gov. Chris Christie on Tuesday signed a bill making it legal for New Jersey residents to offer snow shoveling services without first registering with their town. Last year, two entrepreneurial teens going door-to-door and offering to shovel snow for a small fee were stopped by local police in Bound Brook.

The cops told the two boys, Matt Molinari and Eric Schnepf, they were not allowed to solicit businesses without a permit.

In Bound Brook, that license costs $450 and is only good for a period of 180 days.

Comment

How much did they ask to shovel the snow away?
                    Maybe they asked more money than two teen boys should ask for.

Comment

If they were like some of the kids 'offering to blow off the leaves on your lawn' i have seen, they would just shovel that snow onto the next door neighbor's driveway then ask THEM the same question..

Comment

That's smart business sense. It will increase profits
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't know about you folks but when I was a kid I made a few bucks doing driveways. If I recall, $5 bucks was about the best you could get. It's probably several times that by now. But unless they were above triple digits, I don't see a problem. I rather doubt they could do that though, 'cause there are guys w/ Jeeps and such that will charge 30 bucks or so.

Comment

How much did they ask to shovel the snow away?
                            Maybe they asked more money than two teen boys should ask for.

What does that even mean? It doesn't matter if they asked for 1 million to shovel snow. How would that require a law to stop them from asking for a fortune? No one is forcing people to take their services...you must be joking. Oh I get it. Hahahahahaha.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

What does that even mean? It doesn't matter if they asked for 1 million to shovel snow. How would that require a law to stop them from asking for a fortune? No one is forcing people to take their services...you must be joking. Oh I get it. Hahahahahaha.
                              Maybe someone filed a complaint against them... I wouldn't put it past some folks.

Comment

University of Virginia student detained by North Korea

Ok, fine. North Korea screwing with someone.. no big surprise there.

But the better question is what the hell was the kid doing going to North Korea in the first place?

If you go to a hostile country, they may treat you badly. Or aren't they teaching that to kids?

Comment

Working...
                                X