X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
    again, the elites will set the example

while at the same time criminalizing so-called "underage" drinking?

either a person's an adult or they're not
    re: bolded

on that we can agree....I say if you can serve your country in combat at age 18 then you should be allowed to legally have yourself an alcoholic drink at age 18

Comment

I agree with the principle "You're an adult or your not.", so maybe everything ought to kick in at the same age. Driving, right to vote, military service, right to drink, etc.
      But at what age? 16? 18?
      And how do you account for individual variance? Some people mature faster than others.

Comment

At the age of 18 one can drive, must vote, may legally consume alcohol, and will be held responsible for their own actions and tried as an adult in a court of law. Below that, you're considered a minor.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That's pretty much the way it works here, except for the driving, you can drive solo from 17 as long as you pass the required tests
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I agree with the principle "You're an adult or your not.", so maybe everything ought to kick in at the same age. Driving, right to vote, military service, right to drink, etc.
            But at what age? 16? 18?
            And how do you account for individual variance? Some people mature faster than others.

The current laws don't take individual variance into consideration anyway. And I don't mind keeping arrogant know it alls from driving for another 2 years. At least they'll mature a tiny bit more before they are placed behind the wheel.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              At the age of 18 one can drive, must vote, may legally consume alcohol, and will be held responsible for their own actions and tried as an adult in a court of law. Below that, you're considered a minor.
              Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

The current laws don't take individual variance into consideration anyway. And I don't mind keeping arrogant know it alls from driving for another 2 years. At least they'll mature a tiny bit more before they are placed behind the wheel.
              In the U.S., it's a mishmash of various standards because these requirements are set at the state level; the feds do not have the legal authority to establish a nationwide age of majority.

aretood2, is there any instance in recorded history of someone under 30 who isn't an "arrogant know it all" ?

Comment

Its my experience that there are plenty of those over that age as well
                sigpic

Comment

In the U.S., it's a mishmash of various standards because these requirements are set at the state level; the feds do not have the legal authority to establish a nationwide age of majority.

aretood2, is there any instance in recorded history of someone under 30 who isn't an "arrogant know it all" ?
                  Don't you dare presume to tell me what the world is like. I know it all already....wait...
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                    Its my experience that there are plenty of those over that age as well
                    *cough*Nolamom*cough*
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Then laws will have to be changed cause if I remember correctly the legal age to be considered an adult is still 18.
                      It's 16 in Scotland.
                      It's a wee bit daft because you can vote, get married etc. at 16, but you have to be 18 to buy alcohol. You can drink beer, wine or cider if out for a meal, but someone over 18 has to buy it for you.
                      sigpic

Comment

Do you think that is a failure, or strength of having the states having so much power (on paper at least)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Do you think that is a failure, or strength of having the states having so much power (on paper at least)
                          A strength. The best government is that which is closest to the people.

Comment

on the other hand though it can get pretty annoying when you're considered to be an adult in one state in the Union but in another state in the Union you aren't considered an adult

Comment

Even when you have situations where you can become a potential criminal when crossing state lines?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                again, the elites will set the example

while at the same time criminalizing so-called "underage" drinking?

either a person's an adult or they're not
                                True, the 'age we are an adult' seems to change based on what we do.
                                Go out and kill a man, you can be tried as an adult in some states as young as 10.
                                Smoke, you are an adult at 18 (though some states are trying to push that to 21)
                                Wanna drive, you can do that as young as 15 with parental consent and a learner permit.
                                Wanna drink, gotta be 21.. well legally that is.
                                Wanna join the military and go off and kill people, you can do that at 17 with parental consent.
                                Wanna screw.. can do that if both of you are underage, but heaven forbid the guy is 19 and his GF 15=16, he can be done for statutory rape..

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                Even when you have situations where you can become a potential criminal when crossing state lines?
                                Just like with NJ and a few other states and their not recognizing another's CCW permits.

Comment

Working...
                                X