Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this is is rich. If the "enviros" are so sure of themselves, why are they suing someone who publishes views in opposition to theirs?

Seems that the National Review published an article that disagreed with them, so one of them sued the NR.

Supreme Court weighs lawsuit pitting climate scientist against skeptics

Scientists hail Mann’s lawsuit as a necessary defense against efforts to erode public confidence in the scientific consensus that climate change is an urgent threat, while free speech advocates have rallied around the iconic conservative publication.
    SCOTUS is going to throw this out so far it lands on Europa.

Next June or so, whenever the SCOTUS announces its decisions for this term is certainly going to be an interesting time.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Milk it for all its worth department...

Apparently, someone has been posting racist graffiti at Syracuse University as of late.
      And the students are understandably upset about it, are staging sit-ins and making demands.

https://www.syracuse.com/syracuse-un...h-3-edits.html

Among their demands: Additional financial aid for students of color.

What the hell can possibly justify that? I thought the idea was equality and equal treatment?
      Don't they realize that trying to set up special benefits for any specific group only serves to breed more racism?

Another demand: Punishment, including expulsion, for any student involved in racist incidents including perpetrators and bystanders.

So, someone who just happens to be in the area when a racist nut job does something someone considers to be racist is subject to punishment & expulsion? That's absurd.

Even the rest of their demand are unreasonable. After all, it is not school policy to act in a racist manner. The school shouldn't have to acquiesce to what is essentially a wish list.

Certainly, the student(s) or people who posted the racist crap should be apprehended, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

But as for the rest of it, the school should just tell them to get back to class and shut up. It's not the school's fault.
      You are the same though, just on the opposite side of the same coin. This is a symptom of the demand for extreme ideological purity in political beliefs. You have to be either left or right in the correct way. If you aren't right wing the "correct" way you are a flaming liberal who hates America. You are no different than those people pushing for ideological purity on the left in some of those ivy league universities.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Ok, this is is rich. If the "enviros" are so sure of themselves, why are they suing someone who publishes views in opposition to theirs?

Seems that the National Review published an article that disagreed with them, so one of them sued the NR.

Supreme Court weighs lawsuit pitting climate scientist against skeptics

SCOTUS is going to throw this out so far it lands on Europa.

Next June or so, whenever the SCOTUS announces its decisions for this term is certainly going to be an interesting time.
      It's a defamation lawsuit. Did you read the article? It's not a particularly strong case but it's about the alleged defamation against Mann. Btw, Trump is in favor of making it easier to sue for libel, slander and defamation and making those definitions broader and lightening the burden of evidence.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

I leave this place alone for a few months, and come back to discussions of nuking Australia. Are you guys okay?
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          I leave this place alone for a few months, and come back to discussions of nuking Australia. Are you guys okay?
          It was more about my assertion you would need two carrier groups to maintain control of Australia based on landmass.
          Annoyed brought nukes into the picture.

BTW, nice to see you back Womble
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

No. Australia is still here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              It was more about my assertion you would need two carrier groups to maintain control of Australia based on landmass.
              If the Great Emu War is any indication, Australia cannot be controlled by military force regardless of the size of that force.

BTW, nice to see you back Womble
              Thank you. Don't know how long I'm back for. Busy life these days.

Got my wife temporary residency (surprisingly smooth process actually, after all those horror stories about Israeli immigration bureaucracy). Now it needs to be renewed every year for the next 4-5 years (to confirm that we are still running a shared household) until full citizenship. She has a national ID, a decent job, pays taxes, enrolled in the national health insurance and social security - basically, other than voting rights and blue passport, she has all the privileges of citizenship. And all that in six months. Whoever says that it's impossible or super hard for a non-Jewish person to immigrate to Israel, we are the living proof to the contrary.

Israeli politics got completely ridiculous. That joke about how maybe America should stay single for a while and not elect anyone President? Israel is living it right now and it's not fun.
              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

If the Great Emu War is any indication, Australia cannot be controlled by military force regardless of the size of that force.

Got my wife temporary residency (surprisingly smooth process actually, after all those horror stories about Israeli immigration bureaucracy). Now it needs to be renewed every year for the next 4-5 years (to confirm that we are still running a shared household) until full citizenship. She has a national ID, a decent job, pays taxes, enrolled in the national health insurance and social security - basically, other than voting rights and blue passport, she has all the privileges of citizenship. And all that in six months. Whoever says that it's impossible or super hard for a non-Jewish person to immigrate to Israel, we are the living proof to the contrary.

Israeli politics got completely ridiculous. That joke about how maybe America should stay single for a while and not elect anyone President? Israel is living it right now and it's not fun.
                Any chance of a vote of no confidence against Evo Morales Netanyahu? Or are endless elections the only way forward?
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

wait so even marriage to a citizen doesn't automatically confer citizenship??

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                    wait so even marriage to a citizen doesn't automatically confer citizenship??
                    It doesn't. On the other hand, not being married (or even being legally married to someone else elsewhere) does not preclude one from successfully applying for temporary or even permanent residence (foreign partner in a non-married couple cannot acquire citizenship through partnership alone). We know a couple in which the woman is married back in the Philippines (they have no divorce over there so separated but still legally married couples are common), but she was able to acquire residency in Israel to be with her Israeli boyfriend. The criteria here are proof that the couple runs a shared household and Israel is their center of life. There are also no exams on language or civics as condition for acquiring citizenship.

I don't think marriage automatically confers citizenship anywhere. Temporary/permanent residence is always part of the process, in the USA there-s a 3-5 years "green card" My mom's husband is still not a citizen in Germany after 10 years of marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Any chance of a vote of no confidence against Evo Morales Netanyahu? Or are endless elections the only way forward?
                      He might get ousted by his own party, then it'll be possible to form a unity government. Gideon Saar is trying to start a rebellion inside the Likud. Or Bibi might grow a conscience and resign, especially if his legal troubles preclude him from forming the government even if he wins next elections.

Third elections are almost guaranteed at this point. Problem is, they may end up a stalemate again. BY the polls, the right+religious camp vs. the center-left-Arab camp may be as close as 55:54, with Avigdor Liberman as the kingmaker who isn't willing to sit with the religious OR the Arab- and round and round we go.

Comment

I don't think marriage automatically confers citizenship anywhere.
                        just a wild guess but maybe it also depends on type of government (secular or theocratic)?

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                          just a wild guess but maybe it also depends on type of government (secular or theocratic)?
                          Like I said, my mom's husband in Germany is still not a citizen after 10 years. Would you classify Germany as theocratic?

Comment

Like I said, my mom's husband in Germany is still not a citizen after 10 years. Would you classify Germany as theocratic?
                            actually I meant the opposite Germany's example makes sense cause it's secular

in a theocracy it'd make sense for marriage to grant citizenship
                            Last edited by SoulReaver; 25 November 2019, 03:49 AM. Reason: url?

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Emus. One of our insurance companies seems to be recruiting and training them for some nefarious scheme.

https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/a...u-emu-and-doug

Comment

Why does everyone go back to the Emu wars??

I know it well, It gets more settled mate
                                Congratulations on the smooth process Womble. I am happy for you
                                Yeah, when I read about it, I was wondering where you were. I can't say I've looked deeply into it, your politics make ours look basic, and US politics positively asinine. What is your feeling on the chance of enough groups to come togeather to form a stable government?
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X