X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bacon is strong in this thread....

Anywho...

I stumbled across an interesting debate underneath an article by ... err... I think it was a tweeted article by The New York Times about the "Heartbeat bill" which was recently signed into law in Georgia.

"The Georgia law, which would take effect in 2020, prohibits most abortions once doctors can discern a fetal heartbeat, a milestone that occurs before some women know they are pregnant. In practice, the limit on abortion in Georgia will now be six weeks of pregnancy, instead of 20 weeks. Exceptions are allowed to prevent death or serious harm to the woman, and in cases of rape or incest in which a police report has been filed."

Many comments on the article but one stood out where someone points out that if the heart is a sign of life, that organ donations should hold immediately because most of those patients still have a beating heart when they are being harvested. The heart takes second place when it comes to determing life, since it's the brain that is the primary detemination whether someone is dead or not. So, how can "life" start with a heartbeat when it doesn't end with it.

Someone countered that it was not the brain but the heart that determines whether a person is dead or alive, so I got curious and looked it up, and lo and behold commenter 1 is correct.

Brain beats heart -- in a manner of speaking...

Source: Brain death, Cardiac death and the dead donor rule by Robert M. Sade, M.D.

Codified in the law of every state by their adoption of the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA) after its promulgation in 1981, here's how death is defined:

"An individual who has sustained either irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem, is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards."

There is only one kind of death — when one is dead, one is dead — but death can be determined in the two different ways described in the law. A brain dead individual who is warm and pink with heart beating and lungs ventilating is just as dead, legally, as an individual whose body has turned cold after the heart has permanently stopped beating.

----

So, it stands to reason that both brain and heart determine what is alive... as it does what is death, in which case 20 weeks is the limit, 24 at a max.

"...after six weeks of pregnancy because that is when a basic spinal cord and nervous system first develop, but it is not until week eight (six weeks post-fertilisation) that the first rudimentary brain activity – the kind that is observed in organisms as simple as insects – can be observed. The very beginnings of our higher brain structures only start to appear between weeks 12 and 16. Crucially, the co-ordinated brain activity required for consciousness does not occur until 24-25 weeks of pregnancy. We cannot say when consciousness first emerges, but it cannot rationally be called before the end of the second trimester at 24 weeks of pregnancy."

----

Also, if life is so precious to so many republcans... why are they not more inclined to up health care for kids and prevent so many school shootings... or is it pro-life until born.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hypocrisy - Hy-po-Kree-zee - The Chaka Dictionnary

Definition:
      The Govt can't tell me what to do, eat or breath! Fook off!
      -Annoyed

-The Govt should apply their authority on women's bodies!
      -Annoyed
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Anywho...

I stumbled across an interesting debate underneath an article by ... err... I think it was a tweeted article by The New York Times about the "Heartbeat bill" which was recently signed into law in Georgia.

"The Georgia law, which would take effect in 2020, prohibits most abortions once doctors can discern a fetal heartbeat, a milestone that occurs before some women know they are pregnant. In practice, the limit on abortion in Georgia will now be six weeks of pregnancy, instead of 20 weeks. Exceptions are allowed to prevent death or serious harm to the woman, and in cases of rape or incest in which a police report has been filed."

Many comments on the article but one stood out where someone points out that if the heart is a sign of life, that organ donations should hold immediately because most of those patients still have a beating heart when they are being harvested. The heart takes second place when it comes to determing life, since it's the brain that is the primary detemination whether someone is dead or not. So, how can "life" start with a heartbeat when it doesn't end with it.

Someone countered that it was not the brain but the heart that determines whether a person is dead or alive, so I got curious and looked it up, and lo and behold commenter 1 is correct.

Source: Brain death, Cardiac death and the dead donor rule by Robert M. Sade, M.D.

Codified in the law of every state by their adoption of the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA) after its promulgation in 1981, here's how death is defined:

"An individual who has sustained either irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem, is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards."

There is only one kind of death — when one is dead, one is dead — but death can be determined in the two different ways described in the law. A brain dead individual who is warm and pink with heart beating and lungs ventilating is just as dead, legally, as an individual whose body has turned cold after the heart has permanently stopped beating.

----

So, it stands to reason that both brain and heart determine what is alive... as it does what is death, in which case 20 weeks is the limit, 24 at a max.

"...after six weeks of pregnancy because that is when a basic spinal cord and nervous system first develop, but it is not until week eight (six weeks post-fertilisation) that the first rudimentary brain activity – the kind that is observed in organisms as simple as insects – can be observed. The very beginnings of our higher brain structures only start to appear between weeks 12 and 16. Crucially, the co-ordinated brain activity required for consciousness does not occur until 24-25 weeks of pregnancy. We cannot say when consciousness first emerges, but it cannot rationally be called before the end of the second trimester at 24 weeks of pregnancy."

----

Also, if life is so precious to so many republcans... why are they not more inclined to up health care for kids and prevent so many school shootings... or is it pro-life until born.
        I applaud the Georgia bill; compare it to the laws passed in The People's Republic and other places which allow "live birth" abortions. Abortion is murdering the unborn (and now the born) plain and simple.

And Republicans are inclined to advocate responsible behavior. We know what causes pregnancy these days, and how to prevent it. Abstinence is completely free, by the way. Doesn't cost a penny. If you wish to use contraceptives to lessen the risk, buy them. If you can't afford to buy them, get a job, earn some money and buy some. Why on earth should someone else pay for your party?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          Hypocrisy - Hy-po-Kree-zee - The Chaka Dictionnary

Definition:
          The Govt can't tell me what to do, eat or breath! Fook off!
          -Annoyed

-The Govt should apply their authority on women's bodies!
          -Annoyed
          You sir have earned some bacon.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I'll take it raw this time, thank you. (It's an UNAS cultural thing)
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Would you just like a pig still alive?
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Would you just like a pig still alive?
                The struggle and screams tenders the meat, I accept your offer.
                Spoiler:

Comment

dude I'm the one who highlighted the inherent contradiction in this hypocrisy first - I'll have the bacon

and make it wild boar bacon TY

Comment

Not this time. Their will be other bacon given Annoyed is hypocritical again
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Not this time. Their will be other bacon given Annoyed is hypocritical again
                      You don't get it. You don't get ANY bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        You don't get it. You don't get ANY bacon.
                        Ok Lindsay.

*pulls out the bacon cannon*
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I'll gets the pigs
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Anywho...

----

----

Quick question. When a patient dies in a hospital, do Doctors wait for a brain scan to determine death or do they simply look for a lack of a heart beat? It is my understanding that brain death is only used when the body/patient is unresponsive beyond simply having a heart beat. It's not used to determine death most of the time, the lack of heart beat is used to determine death most of the time. If this is so, then the argument is flawed.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              Quick question. When a patient dies in a hospital, do Doctors wait for a brain scan to determine death or do they simply look for a lack of a heart beat? It is my understanding that brain death is only used when the body/patient is unresponsive beyond simply having a heart beat. It's not used to determine death most of the time, the lack of heart beat is used to determine death most of the time. If this is so, then the argument is flawed.
                              it should be brain death

brain dead doctors :/

Comment

I would say it is the heart that determines the definition of death.

How many time have you heard on the news, or read in the paper, that the patient suffered masive injuries in an accident, was in a coma only being kept alive by machines keeping the heart beating & blood flowing.
                                The doctors advised the next of kin that the patient was brain dead, possibly would never come out of the coma, & if they did would be a vegetable. So the next of kin had authorised the switching off of life support & the heart stopped beating & the patient was pronounced deceased?

So in that case the patient is 'brain dead' but not 'dead' till the heart stops.
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X