X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Additional.
    What people like AOC, or the "kindergartener" as Annoyed likes to call her, propose are currently beyond US infrastructure, and you have to be careful with her idea's. The "idea" is not flawed, it's historically been proven to be helpful to the US to move on to the next level of commerce. They did it in the gold rush. they did it in the steam era, the industrial era, the modern era and the technology era.
    The new "green deal" needs to take into account people who cannot work in a new environment and make sure they are trained in skills that they are capable of, and be paid well enough to survive on their own.
    I don't want people to be left behind, simple as that. Train the "simple" person to clean solar cells, or water filters so they are still empowered to be seen as useful, rather than a drag on the economy into the dirt by "paying" for them.
    How about instead of growing corn in the middle states, you make solar power production area's instead? That solar power could be sold for far more than the corn on the land, and would provide more jobs, and would not have to be subsidised like most farms. You can employ low skill workers to protect and clean the solar panels, and have educated workers to upgrade them as needed or available.
    Is that not fair?
    Actually, the Kindergartner is going to be quite beneficial for the US. If the Democrats don't muzzle her, she's going to drive the country right back into the arms of the Republicans, erasing any gains the left might otherwise expect.

First, her proposals are simply dreams. She has no way to pay for them. Hence the term "Kindergartner"; she's got the mentality of a small child. "I Want" is all she understands.

But more importantly, her ideas, such as providing income for people who do not want to work will not sit well with the majority of US folks who have to work for their living. If this is enacted, why should anyone go to work? Just let the govt. support them.

How is that going to work out? Again, she has the mentality of a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      How is that going to work out? Again, she has the mentality of a child.
      They said the same about Luther king, Gandhi, Mandela. Humanity's biggest asset is adaptation, and a radical change in direction to face the upcoming challenges of climate change is needed, and we will adapt as we have been ever since caveman said houga-booga.

Maybe I can talk a bit about how it is here in Canada to show you how it can work. We have social welfare, which gives you crumbs each months for those that don't work. People who live like that, trust me, aren't living, unless you're fine eating Spam and K-D every day and buy your six pack of Paps. Those folks are also commonly known as ''BS'' (for Bien-être social) and this term is used as an insult. You should know that in Economics terms, they call them ''Desperate / lazy workers'' which means no matter what incentive you provide they will never try to find a job. There's nothing you can do about that.

We also have unemployment benefits, which you must apply to and is not so easy to get. Basically, each Canadian pays for it through his pay cheque at work, it is a mandatory and a small amount is withheld each pay week. It is not something to be ashamed of, we actually pay for it. The catch is, to have access to this money, you need to:

1- Have been laid off or fired
      2- Prove that you are actively trying to find job
      3- Attend meetings aimed to help you find a job, with govt employees that shadow you, and prove that you are a human
      (many people scammed the system creating false identities, this was remedied about 10 years ago with this policy).

At some point in my life I was between two jobs as a student, due to conflicts between work and University schedule. I tried to apply and get some of that unemployment money and was promptly denied, because I didn't get fired. Such a system would circumvent the major downside that Annoyed pointed out, which is people sitting on their bottoms.

Again, it takes an open mind to see this as an investment, just like giving tax credit to families is an investment.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        What Reagan did was ramp it up on it's OWN citizens
        that what I meant

totally contradicts the "small government" image the Repubs have of Reagan

@Annoyed care to explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          They said the same about Luther king, Gandhi, Mandela. Humanity's biggest asset is adaptation, and a radical change in direction to face the upcoming challenges of climate change is needed, and we will adapt as we have been ever since caveman said houga-booga.

Maybe I can talk a bit about how it is here in Canada to show you how it can work. We have social welfare, which gives you crumbs each months for those that don't work. People who live like that, trust me, aren't living, unless you're fine eating Spam and K-D every day and buy your six pack of Paps. Those folks are also commonly known as ''BS'' (for Bien-être social) and this term is used as an insult. You should know that in Economics terms, they call them ''Desperate / lazy workers'' which means no matter what incentive you provide they will never try to find a job. There's nothing you can do about that.

We also have unemployment benefits, which you must apply to and is not so easy to get. Basically, each Canadian pays for it through his pay cheque at work, it is a mandatory and a small amount is withheld each pay week. It is not something to be ashamed of, we actually pay for it. The catch is, to have access to this money, you need to:

1- Have been laid off or fired
          2- Prove that you are actively trying to find job
          3- Attend meetings aimed to help you find a job, with govt employees that shadow you, and prove that you are a human
          (many people scammed the system creating false identities, this was remedied about 10 years ago with this policy).

At some point in my life I was between two jobs as a student, due to conflicts between work and University schedule. I tried to apply and get some of that unemployment money and was promptly denied, because I didn't get fired. Such a system would circumvent the major downside that Annoyed pointed out, which is people sitting on their bottoms.

Again, it takes an open mind to see this as an investment, just like giving tax credit to families is an investment.
          Our welfare doens't work like that.. Hell, we give our welfare people free phones, computers and internet. Hardly a "bare bones" existence.

But the main sticking point in her idea about welfare is "people who don't want to work". I can understand helping people who can't work, but if you don't want to work, you can starve for all I care. And a great many people will agree with me.

Comment

I'm not going to cite an article, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one the past few days, but it appears that we are being "prepared" for the Mueller report being completed next week, and likely not being released.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that they were unable to find or prove anything. Considering the anti-Trump fervor gripping the people running this circus sideshow, if they had found anything, they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Maybe they're just afraid to admit this entire project was nothing but a very expensive witch hunt, or they are unwilling to actually announce that there was nothing there. Gonna be interesting next week, I suspect.

Comment

I'm not going to cite an article, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one the past few days, but it appears that we are being "prepared" for the Mueller report being completed next week, and likely not being released.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that they were unable to find or prove anything. Considering the anti-Trump fervor gripping the people running this circus sideshow, if they had found anything, they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Maybe they're just afraid to admit this entire project was nothing but a very expensive witch hunt, or they are unwilling to actually announce that there was nothing there. Gonna be interesting next week, I suspect.
              I think Mueller did its job, there's quite a few of Trump's cronies in jail now.

POTUS should be beyond reproach, and the fact that this man is associated with criminal activities is unnerving at best. Instructing lawyers to buy silence, his son having contacts with top level ruskies, the list goes on man.

Lock him up.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I think Mueller did its job, there's quite a few of Trump's cronies in jail now.

POTUS should be beyond reproach, and the fact that this man is associated with criminal activities is unnerving at best. Instructing lawyers to buy silence, his son having contacts with top level ruskies, the list goes on man.

Lock him up.
                Nah, the jail space would be better used for Hillary.

Seriously, ANYONE who has attained the amount of money & influence required to run for the office in the first place will have a few skeletons in the closet if you look close enough. You simply can't get to be that rich and influential without playing fast and loose with some laws. And some of the criminal charges filed were actually intended to force the people charge to spill the beans, so to speak.

I'm more concerned with the probability that they won't make the results public, either way.
                If Mueller has something, say it and move forward with whatever legal action is appropriate by the letter of the law.
                But if he has found nothing, he ought to stand up and say that, tool

Comment

You should consider the possibility that Mueller found something but the National Security risks associated with disclosure of such thing are too great to be public.

That wouldn't be the first time, as declassified files tells us.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

You should consider the possibility that Mueller found something but the National Security risks associated with disclosure of such thing are too great to be public.

That wouldn't be the first time, as declassified files tells us.
                    Either "Yes, I found evidence of collusion" or "No, I didn't find anything" should be ok. But we ought to get something.

Comment

Our welfare doens't work like that.. Hell, we give our welfare people free phones, computers and internet. Hardly a "bare bones" existence.

But the main sticking point in her idea about welfare is "people who don't want to work". I can understand helping people who can't work, but if you don't want to work, you can starve for all I care. And a great many people will agree with me.
                      We do? Where is my free phone and computer when I was on unemployment?
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        We do? Where is my free phone and computer when I was on unemployment?
                        I think he's talking about refugees. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. Sure some folks can deal with jobs and else without one (i.e.: some elderly people) but they were already established prior to the arrival of that technology in our modern lives.

Is it impossible? Absolutely not. That being said, I would like one of those people (say Annoyed) who are shocked to see refugees with phones, to try it out for themselves in a new country, where they know nobody, have no clue how the govt works, etc. to get a job in less than a month or so.

Good luck.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I think he's talking about refugees. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. Sure some folks can deal with jobs and else without one (i.e.: some elderly people) but they were already established prior to the arrival of that technology in our modern lives.

Is it impossible? Absolutely not. That being said, I would like one of those people (say Annoyed) who are shocked to see refugees with phones, to try it out for themselves in a new country, where they know nobody, have no clue how the govt works, etc. to get a job in less than a month or so.

Good luck.
                          That's just it. I'm not stupid enough to go to a new country/state stark naked.

Comment

That's just it. I'm not stupid enough to go to a new country/state stark naked.
                            You just achieved a new level in your ignorance skill tree. You are now a lvl 15 MAGA wizard, congratulations!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

You forgot to add a few zereos
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

You just achieved a new level in your ignorance skill tree. You are now a lvl 15 MAGA wizard, congratulations!
                                Actually, I wasn't talking about refugees or immigrants of any stripe specifically.
                                I was talking about welfare recipients as a whole.

Computers, internet access, smart phones/cell phones are LUXURIES. and as such should not be paid for by the taxpayer who has to go to work to earn the money to pay for these things for himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X