This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
    I am not sure what the relevance of this is. I thought we were talking about students in college campuses...this looks like you are avoiding the question and moving the goal posts all at once...actually that's not moving the goal post, that is a change in subject. And I am not a Liberal btw. Much like GateFan, I don't like living in a bubble either.
    Which is why I like arguing/discussing things with you and Womble.
    Contrary to popular belief, most discussions are extremely valid and useful, no matter how riled up about them you may get.

That would be my answer. One tinfoil hat for another.
    Do you know how much energy and resources it takes to make tinfoil!!
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

So? You didn't answer the question. Besides, doesn't the right do the same exact thing? I mean, ordering your supporters to beat someone up or kicking out and ridiculing reporters who ask inconvenient questions or refusing to debate at certain TV forums all together isn't exactly being the paragon of open debate. Nor is interrupting guests on say...a conservative talk show to scream back at them before they can make their point (Conservative talk shows seem to do this...except one or two here and there).
      I believe I did answer your question.

"Is that based on any actual data or just your impression based on media coverage?"

Providing an example would have to qualify as actual data.

Regarding talk radio, I don't listen to it. Limbaugh was good when he started, back in 1988. Like him or not, you have to give credit to someone who singlehandedly revived an entire radio format. Talk radio was basically dead when he started. But that was then. at some point since then, he has gone downhill, he's more of a caricature of himself these days. Beck started ok too, but once his name was established, he became a pitchman for whatever book or whatever he's selling. And Savage is just an @$$.

Besides, the whole RICO thing has more to do with lobbyists actively lying about climate change to further their employers economic prosperity. To be fair, the RICO act is not compatible with that goal. But if you want honest discourse, you'd have to admit that the vast majority of scientists and evidence points towards climate change being affected by humans...and that it is happening in the first place.
      But there are certainly enough scientists around that don't support the theory; this is hardly a settled matter.

Besides, isn't it the ACLU who has defended the likes of neo-nazis to their free speech?
      The ACLU is not what you would consider my favorite organization. While once in a blue moon, the take a stance I agree with, most of the time they're fairly left oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        SO you have not heard of all these colleges instigating 'free speech zones" so only IN those designated spots can people of opposite views speak up with no fear of retribution? Schools where the student body DEMANDS a speaker (conservative) is not allowed to show up, or flat out heckles the hell out of him if he does, but CHEERS and holds parades when its a 'liberal speaker'?
        Demanding that a speaker not be allowed to speak, such as what happened a few times last spring, is over the line. But students reacting to him by ridicule, heckling, cheering or holding parades or whatever is fair game. They have the right to express their views. This would include like or dislike of a particular speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Demanding that a speaker not be allowed to speak, such as what happened a few times last spring, is over the line. But students reacting to him by ridicule, heckling, cheering or holding parades or whatever is fair game. They have the right to express their views. This would include like or dislike of a particular speaker.
          Sounds like Trump.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

How can somebody do this?
            http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/29...ed-near-river/

What kind of monster does it take to bury your newborn child alive?

COMPTON, Calif. – Los Angeles County sheriff's officials asked for the public's help Saturday in gaining information about a newborn baby deputies rescued after finding her buried beside a popular Compton bike path.

The girl was believed to be only 24 to 36 hours old when she was found Friday afternoon near a creek that flows into the Los Angeles River, said Sgt. Marvin Jaramilla of the Sheriff's Department's special victim unit. He said she was listed in stable condition on Saturday.

"There's indication that the child was born at a medical facility or a hospital," he said.

Jaramilla said two deputies found the girl around 4 p.m. after people on the bike path heard her cries and called authorities.

"As they searched, deputies heard a baby's muffled cry and located a newborn baby girl buried alive under pieces of asphalt and rubble inside a crevice located along the bike path," the sheriff's sergeant said in a statement.

He added she was wrapped in a blanket and cold to the touch when deputies found her. They summoned Compton Fire Department paramedics who took her to the hospital.

Meanwhile, the Sheriff's Department is asking for the public's help in identifying her.

"Some parents of newborns can find themselves in difficult circumstances. Sadly, babies are sometimes harmed or abandoned by parents who feel that they're not ready or able to raise a child," Jaramilla said.

He added that anyone in such a situation should simply surrender their newborn to authorities, who will care for the child.

"A parent stuck in this difficult situation can safely surrender their baby at any hospital or fire station in Los Angeles County, no questions asked," he said.
            I hope they find the parent(s) and hang 'em high. But considering this is California, they are more likely to get a slap on the wrist, if that.

Comment

See why abortion is sometimes not so bad... Possibly to avoid situations like these.

Comment

Not going to bite on that.

Comment

Not going to bite on that.
                  No need... it was just a thought.

Quite recently, a week or two or so ago, I saw an article about a woman in Germany who had 5 babies stuffed in her freezer. Medical examiners determined none of them were stillborn. She was arrested for murder, obviously.

Comment

How can somebody do this?
                    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/29...ed-near-river/

What kind of monster does it take to bury your newborn child alive?

I hope they find the parent(s) and hang 'em high. But considering this is California, they are more likely to get a slap on the wrist, if that.
                    regrettable but at least they didn't abort so Sanctity of Life was respected, that is good

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      See why abortion is sometimes not so bad... Possibly to avoid situations like these.
                      I hate to be one to side with Annoyed but as the article says the baby could have been left at a fire station. Its a common policy in most of the states
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I hate to be one to side with Annoyed but as the article says the baby could have been left at a fire station. Its a common policy in most of the states
                        It could have, but parents who leave their children behind are rarely doing so with a straight mind and in all clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          SO you have not heard of all these colleges instigating 'free speech zones" so only IN those designated spots can people of opposite views speak up with no fear of retribution? Schools where the student body DEMANDS a speaker (conservative) is not allowed to show up, or flat out heckles the hell out of him if he does, but CHEERS and holds parades when its a 'liberal speaker'?
                          I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but that it isn't nearly as wide spread and rampant as you seem to portray it as. Yes some colleges do that, but the free spaces are more about allowing outside groups in to the campus to "speak" freely so that they can restrict where speech can be done period (right or left leaning).

Just like...
                          Sounds like Trump.
                          Beat me to it.
                          So...the Muslim registration act can be justified because we aren't sending muslims to internment camps? That's a horrible thought. If (and I am saying If) abortion is wrong and infanticide is wonger, abortion would still not be justified as a method of preventing infanticide.
                          Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                          regrettable but at least they didn't abort so Sanctity of Life was respected, that is good
                          Didn't you make a post a while back that hinted you'd be all into infanticide?
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually sorry, I don't think you realize what the implications of that thought lead to.

So this happened in California, abortion is legal and readily available there. If they didn't want the kid, there is no reason why they wouldn't have aborted in time. So in order for abortion to have "prevented this" that abortion would have had to be forced on the couple, or the mother more specifically. Just let that chilling prospect sink in for a minute.

To make abortion a viable solution, the state would have to decide if you are of sound mind and body and economically capable of raising the kid, that equates to state mandated abortion. But then to prevent that need, state mandated contraception...sterilization is cheaper.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Didn't you make a post a while back that hinted you'd be all into infanticide?
                              quote?

Spoiler:
                              though admittedly them little brats can be annoying sometimes :|

Actually sorry, I don't think you realize what the implications of that thought lead to.

So this happened in California, abortion is legal and readily available there. If they didn't want the kid, there is no reason why they wouldn't have aborted in time. So in order for abortion to have "prevented this" that abortion would have had to be forced on the couple, or the mother more specifically. Just let that chilling prospect sink in for a minute.

To make abortion a viable solution, the state would have to decide if you are of sound mind and body and economically capable of raising the kid, that equates to state mandated abortion. But then to prevent that need, state mandated contraception...sterilization is cheaper.
                              actually it's even simpler, if they don't want the kid then let them abort...period

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                                quote?

You asked about a 8 month pregnancy abortion. I'd have to look for it, but not now, my movie is almost on.

Spoiler:
                                though admittedly them little brats can be annoying sometimes :|

actually it's even simpler, if they don't want the kid then let them abort...period

But nothing keeps parents from aborting in California...where this happened...That is, they could have had an abortion if they wanted one...they could even have had a free one too. And all perfectly legit.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X