This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    I was kind of waiting for something in the actuality to show up, and there has. It is the second day since the start of the manifestation in Pakistan, islamists are marching to violently protest against the courts that acquitted the Christian woman, Asia Bibi, on the charge of blasphemy. She was on death row since the judgment in 2010 and it has been overruled.

They asked for her head. They asked for the Supreme Court judges' heads. The Govt is trying to calm the situation but obviously they have no real power in this country.

So, this is a case where a dictatorship is not a play, but only and solely the people themselves part of this religious community.

Again I ask, religion of peace?
    Right now Buddhists are genociding Muslims in Maynmar yet I don't hear anyone calling Buddhism a religion of war. Right now the glorious People's Republic of China is throwing Muslims into internment camps for the crime of being Muslim. Let's not even mention the barbaric ongoings of North Korea that would make even the Iranian government blush in shame and disgust. Let's not forget the Christian that shot up a Synagogue here in the US or the many Christians who lead millions to the slaughter in the 1940's. Let's not forget the slaughters of Stalin, the mass murders and starvations of Soviet Russia beyond Stalin, the savagery of Pol Pot, the criminalization free expression of Castro the disappearances in Argentina and so on.

All this proves is exactly what I wrote in my previous response. Absent democracies, you have barbarity. When the "church" or "temple" or "mosque" or "the shrine" mixes with government you have religious atrocities. And even absent of the mix of religion you still see such gross and barbaric upfronts to human dignity. You ignore all of this can cast a broad brush on all Muslims because in some non-democratic country a woman gets beheaded?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      Buddhists are genociding Muslims in Maynmar
      is Myanmar a theocracy?

Comment

[COLOR=#000080]Right now Buddhists are genociding Muslims in Maynmar yet I don't hear anyone calling Buddhism a religion of war.
        I heard of the massacre of the Rohingas, their lady-president which is a total failure as a leader had her Canadian citizenship revoked for it. I heard about it over the news, but not general news, specifically on CBC. I remember thinking it was super alien to me that Buddhists would kill so many, but this particular fact didn't really stuck into my mind. CBC has at least in my opinion the merit of being the closest to a truly independent network. Now I know for a fact that not many people listen to CBC, and it is true that Muslims killings sells much more on your regular news broadcast. Point taken.

All this proves is exactly what I wrote in my previous response. Absent democracies, you have barbarity. When the "church" or "temple" or "mosque" or "the shrine" mixes with government you have religious atrocities. And even absent of the mix of religion you still see such gross and barbaric upfronts to human dignity.

This is very well said Tood, you should write it down or something. I couldn't agree more with any statement you ever made.

You ignore all of this can cast a broad brush on all Muslims because in some non-democratic country a woman gets beheaded?
        We were on the topic of Islam but sure let's talk about all of them. You want my opinion? I see all religions as a double-edged sword that can do good but ultimately, is doomed to be outweighed by evil deeds due to the zeal it creates in the mind of most believers. Mix the human nature into that, and you can rest assured someone will try to play the religious card to achieve his goals. I dealt with clients that were financially scammed in every way you can possibly imagine. If there's a cheat or a breach someone will use it.

Before you call me atheist, I will say that if a God(s) could come downtown and settle religious debate right here and now, I would buy him a beer and be glad for it.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Perhaps people are becoming more ignorant of current affairs because they just don't have time to keep up anymore. The cause could be that people are just too damned busy, or it could be that the news media has become fragmented, and in many cases, outright false, so you don't know who to believe.

"in the good old days", there were only a few news sources, but they mostly reported the news without too much of their own editorial slant on it unless it was clearly marked as such. It was easy to keep up.

Compare that to what we have today.
          News isn't false, and editorials are still classed as editorials.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Right now Buddhists are genociding Muslims in Maynmar yet I don't hear anyone calling Buddhism a religion of war. Right now the glorious People's Republic of China is throwing Muslims into internment camps for the crime of being Muslim. Let's not even mention the barbaric ongoings of North Korea that would make even the Iranian government blush in shame and disgust. Let's not forget the Christian that shot up a Synagogue here in the US or the many Christians who lead millions to the slaughter in the 1940's. Let's not forget the slaughters of Stalin, the mass murders and starvations of Soviet Russia beyond Stalin, the savagery of Pol Pot, the criminalization free expression of Castro the disappearances in Argentina and so on.

All this proves is exactly what I wrote in my previous response. Absent democracies, you have barbarity. When the "church" or "temple" or "mosque" or "the shrine" mixes with government you have religious atrocities. And even absent of the mix of religion you still see such gross and barbaric upfronts to human dignity. You ignore all of this can cast a broad brush on all Muslims because in some non-democratic country a woman gets beheaded?
            And now you know why I don't like churches -any of them-
            sigpic

Comment

We will see, but I don't think SCOTUS, even if we get a 3rd Trump nominee before this gets there would rubber stamp this.
              Assume you did, hell, assume you got 3 more. Would you want them to approve it?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Assume you did, hell, assume you got 3 more. Would you want them to approve it?
                No, because as of now, it is written in the Constitution. And the executive shouldn't be able to bypass that via executive order.

Don't get me wrong; I approve of his intent. But he doesn't have the power to do it. It would have to be done by amending the constitution.

Comment

No, because as of now, it is written in the Constitution. And the executive shouldn't be able to bypass that via executive order.

Don't get me wrong; I approve of his intent. But he doesn't have the power to do it. It would have to be done by amending the constitution.
                  What was the point of your comment then?
                  sigpic

Comment

But he doesn't have the power to do it. It would have to be done by amending the constitution.
                    Didn't Obama do a similar thing? What's stopping him?
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Obama did no such thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

What was the point of your comment then?
                        To reply to Chaka-Z0?

Comment

Obama did a number of similar stunts. One example would be the entire DACA program. He created that using executive orders, in defiance of the Constitution, which places authority over immigration in the hands of the congress.

But that was ok, you see, he's a Democrat/Liberal.

Comment

News isn't false, and editorials are still classed as editorials.
                            Oh, really. I'll try to find a few examples over the weekend. But just quickly, consider the wording of many news articles, what issues various media outlets choose to cover and to not cover, things like that. The left-wing bias in most major media outlets is blatant, and yes, a few outlets are also biased to the right.

Comment

So let's follow this up with an obvious question: why do Muslim countries consistently fail to produce functioning democracies? More interestingly, are their governments a reflection of their people's will, are they less democratic than their people want - or are they MORE democratic than the majority of their populations would have it?
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Obama did a number of similar stunts. One example would be the entire DACA program. He created that using executive orders, in defiance of the Constitution, which places authority over immigration in the hands of the congress.

But that was ok, you see, he's a Democrat/Liberal.
                                DACA was a policy position, not a law.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X