Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have actually wondered if this current caravan was in some way instigated by the GOP as a stunt to focus attention on immigration right before the election.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      You better keep your tinfoil hat on your head...next thing ya know you'll be accusing people of trying to implant thoughts in your head...
      *hides Annoyed voodoo doll*
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I have actually wondered if this current caravan was in some way instigated by the GOP as a stunt to focus attention on immigration right before the election.
        wait there're still a part of you capable of thinking independently of Government??

apparently the UE is seeing the rise of various parties that are at the same time radical left and (relatively) tough on immigration
        what is the likelihood of such a party in the US?

Comment

Wasn't the right spreading conspiracy talk about George Soros funding this caravan? Many Americans still believe this crap even though it's been debunked by the WP.

But he's also an SS sympathizer, if we listen to this crazy talk. But what the hell am I saying, it must be fake news.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            wait there're still a part of you capable of thinking independently of Government??
            I've said many times that I don't march in lockstep with any person or party. I do look things with my own eyes, and make judgements from that. Yes, I do agree with the Republicans and Trump on most issues, but that doesn't mean I'm just parroting their views, I just happen to think they're right in most cases.

A good example is what I posted this morning regarding Trump's idea to use an EO to change the birthright to citizenship. I agree with his intent, but I disagree that he has the authority to do it.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            apparently the UE is seeing the rise of various parties that are at the same time radical left and (relatively) tough on immigration
            what is the likelihood of such a party in the US?
            The commonality is nationalism. Many people in both Europe and the US, particularly in the more developed nations have figured out that "one world", open borders and the blurring of national lines don't work out so well for them, as their resources are diverted to other nations and people.

This will likely continue until technology develops to the point where there is no need to compete for resources such as food and energy; it is easily available to anyone at little or no cost.

This is why the concept works in Sci Fi such as Star Trek; they have practically unlimited sources of energy, and with matter/energy conversion, this gives them nearly unlimited anything else, too.
            Last edited by Annoyed; 31 October 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I've said many times that I don't march in lockstep with any person or party. I do look things with my own eyes, and make judgements from that. Yes, I do agree with the Republicans and Trump on most issues, but that doesn't mean I'm just parroting their views, I just happen to think they're right in most cases.
              Ah more manure. I should have a sale on my fertilizer in
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

A good example is what I posted this morning regarding Trump's idea to use an EO to change the birthright to citizenship. I agree with his intent, but I disagree that he has the authority to do it.

The commonality is nationalism. Many people in both Europe and the US, particularly in the more developed nations have figured out that "one world", open borders and the blurring of national lines don't work out so well for them, as their resources are diverted to other nations and people.

This will likely continue until technology develops to the point where there is no need to compete for resources such as food and energy; it is easily available to anyone at little or no cost.

This is why the concept works in Sci Fi such as Star Trek; they have practically unlimited sources of energy, and with matter/energy conversion, this gives them nearly unlimited anything else, too.
                Sry couldn't edit, on the bus.

I don't really think that it's about resources and energy. Extremists / far(right or left) govs are elected during troubled times. The global immigration crisis we are experiencing right now (Syria, Venezuela, etc.) is the reason why Trump is POTUS and why we are seeing the rise of radical parties. Humans response to fear is something that has been used since the dawn of mankind.

My take on that is that the majority of the people in "modern" countries are intellectually dumbing themselves down on purpose, and that imo, is due to the technology and ease of access to news, not take, but biased. Just ask most people around you, many don't care at ALL about politics and who leads their country.

Precision: I am not praising the good ol days, because I myself am part of this generation.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

The commonality is nationalism
                  no because nationalists use fear of outsiders to rise to power & oppress their own people

Comment

Looks like a botched effort to "Kavanaugh" him to me.

Oh, but wait a minute. Isn't the mere accusation sufficient to derail his career? The left seemed to think so when we were talking about Kavanaugh.
                    Apples to oranges. Here we have no accusers against Mueller which proves that paying women to lie about this is rather risky because it can easily backfire. The likelihood of finding a viable accuser willing to make a fake accusation is low. And this case just proves how hard it is to get a grown adult to falsely accuse someone like this. Not that it's impossible, but worth noting.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    Nonsense and you know it. If politicians did nothing but meet with constituents all day, it would still not be enough and the especially "concerned" citizens would still claim the right to harass them in their off duty hours.

Or do the politicians, in your book, have no off-duty time? Are they still "on the clock" when having dinner with their families and sleeping in their beds? Are there any other people in your book who have no off-duty time ever, and their job grants you right to treat them as not entitled to any level of privacy and personal space?

The thing is, that wasn't the only event. Republican congressmen have been punched, attacked with knives, they got threats to their lives and to lives of their families.

There were previous attempts to attack synagogues, btw, and it's interesting to watch the difference in coverage.
                    People were killed in a synagogue shooting before in the US? I can't seem to remember one in the past few years.

I don't think so. I mean...people have plenty of reasons to leave those countries.

Nationalism...because that never ended badly...
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Now fighting domestic terrorism is important isn't it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...terror-n926361

No not important move along.
                      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        Nationalism...because that never ended badly...
                        Has it ever ended well?
                        Spoiler:

Comment

You mean "inclusive and cooperative" as long as you agree with them.
                          Nope.
                          If you have the audacity to disagree with them, they do whatever is necessary to silence you. If you doubt me, look at the efforts to silence conservatives at colleges, universities and such.
                          You know very little about schools, sorry.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            You really missed the point of the article, haven't you?
                            No, just drew different conclusions than you.
                            I saw it as an article that basically said "yo right wingers, be grateful for PC culture because it keeps the left chasing it's tail"
                            The PC mentality wasn't "be nice"; it was preoccupation with identity politics ad absurdum.
                            That's an interesting take.
                            And when oh when was the Left ever "nice"? They have forever advocated the attitude that so long as the "right-wing", "white", "cisgender" etc. could be described as having power, anything went because any uncivil and / or violent extremes of leftist behavior were justified by the imbalance of power. It is simply becoming harder for them to claim that there still remains an imbalance of power large enough to justify vile behavior, so the justifications are starting to shift.
                            Two more interesting observations.
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              Sry couldn't edit, on the bus.

I don't really think that it's about resources and energy. Extremists / far(right or left) govs are elected during troubled times. The global immigration crisis we are experiencing right now (Syria, Venezuela, etc.) is the reason why Trump is POTUS and why we are seeing the rise of radical parties. Humans response to fear is something that has been used since the dawn of mankind.

My take on that is that the majority of the people in "modern" countries are intellectually dumbing themselves down on purpose, and that imo, is due to the technology and ease of access to news, not take, but biased. Just ask most people around you, many don't care at ALL about politics and who leads their country.

Precision: I am not praising the good ol days, because I myself am part of this generation.
                              Perhaps people are becoming more ignorant of current affairs because they just don't have time to keep up anymore. The cause could be that people are just too damned busy, or it could be that the news media has become fragmented, and in many cases, outright false, so you don't know who to believe.

"in the good old days", there were only a few news sources, but they mostly reported the news without too much of their own editorial slant on it unless it was clearly marked as such. It was easy to keep up.

Compare that to what we have today.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

If you quack like a duck, don't be surprised that you are accused of being a duck.

I was kind of waiting for something in the actuality to show up, and there has. It is the second day since the start of the manifestation in Pakistan, islamists are marching to violently protest against the courts that acquitted the Christian woman, Asia Bibi, on the charge of blasphemy. She was on death row since the judgment in 2010 and it has been overruled.

They asked for her head. They asked for the Supreme Court judges' heads. The Govt is trying to calm the situation but obviously they have no real power in this country.

So, this is a case where a dictatorship is not a play, but only and solely the people themselves part of this religious community.

Again I ask, religion of peace?
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X