This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Yes there is. It just so happens that you don't like it and try to exclude yourself from it, it's still considered as ''The Church'' because it is the most popular form of Christianity throughout the world and therefore has the most impact.
    Because an unbeliever is an authority on what Christianity is and is not?

As if that makes anything better? Why only certain conditions? Ridiculous. Half-measures again, from people that cherry-pick their religion as I said before.
    What are you even talking about?

I don't care if it is individual or church level. If you call yourself a follower of X religion and you don't follow its principles, you're cherry-picking in my book. Why exactly do you think there's great debate around these issue? Might have something to do with imposing positions on certain issues to their followers?
    A religion by definition can not cherry pick itself...

I swear, I don't know how many times I've heard that BS before. Religion of peace and forgiveness eh? Tell that to the lady that received a bowl of battery acid in her face because she talked to another man. That's also probably why Saudi Arabia and any other Islam-based country is basically a prison camp of the medieval era. Religion police, censure, beatings, honor killings, women dumbed down to cattle, etc. Whoever say that is full of sh*t and as I've said before, the actual REALITY of this religion is very different than what's in the book. You also have these crazy nutjobs from ISIL spreading terror all around the world. Come again with that religion of peace.
    Islamophobia...cool.

Go ahead with your secular argument, I'm fine with that. When someone tries to argue with his religion, that's where I draw the line. Religion should be an individual and personal aspect not something to be imposed on the society.
    And thus you finally see the point.

I actually agree with that, both religions have the some origins. Try telling that to a Muslim though, and make him agree with you, these people go nuts for caricatures of their God there's no way they would accept such a comparison.
    Islamophobia again.

Obviously this example I used was for a theoretical example, nobody's gonna argue that being ''pro-suicide'' is a valid opinion. You said religion doesn't impose morality, it does. If you do X you're going to hell, if you do Y you're going to paradise. Society imposes morality as well, only in a different fashion.
    No I did not say that at all. I said that it is the accepted "secular" philosophical consensus that morality is subjective and there is no objective "right" or "wrong". Religions by their nature argue morality as part of the philosophical outlook they hold. Some go from "Yes there is an objective moral code" to "There may be subjective moral codes but all real moral codes hold some key underlying points in common".

Because we were on the religious topic, and all representatives from the biggest religion of this world are entirely comprised of males. Do you actually think this is a coincidence? Do you think things would've been the same if, say, a women had been on the clergy for centuries?
    So you're still trying to say it's inherently male? And what makes you think women wouldn't do the same thing? After all, it is men who also say that masterbation is bad. As for the Churches...there are several churches with female ministers. Some even have female apostles.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      Because an unbeliever is an authority on what Christianity is and is not?
      You still don't get it, all I am saying is that the Catholic Church is by far the most popular and spread religion, I'll leave the decision of what is and what isn't to you. When people think of Christianity they think about them.

Islamophobia...cool.
      Lets see what your Pope had to say about that...

When asked by reporters in 2005 if Islam was a religion of peace, Pope Benedict XVI stated that some elements of Islam can favor peace, but it also has other elements.
      Let's take a practical example of the point I'm trying to make, which is the establishment in the real world of religion is never the same than what should be in theory. This verse is basically at the core of the extremists discourse:

“Kill the idolaters wherever you find them, and capture them, and blockade them, and watch for them at every lookout...” (Quran 9:5).
      In the proper context, you can understand that the verse prior to this one talks about treaties with allies and that idolaters went against their word and attacked Muslims and therefore 9.5 should not be considered as a call to arms.

Extremists groups use this rhetoric to fuel their propaganda and give credence and legitimacy to kill infidels. Again, the interpretation is the problem and 99% of Muslims are absolutely against that, doesn't change the fact that Islam, more specifically this verse, is used as a weapon by fanatics.

I don't care at all about what is your race, religion or whatever makes you you. The reality is, facts are, that countries that adopted Islam or Christianity in their legislature and daily activities are far away from this ''peace religion'' thing. I base my opinion on what I see, not what should be. In these countries you got...

Jailtime or get wacked for talking against the government
      Women are relayed to second-class citizens
      Insurgents groups
      Honor killings
      Forced marriages
      Religion police, aka people that go house to house to make sure everybody's a good Muslim

I do not see these elements in any country that is not a dictatorship and that is ruled by democracy and fair laws, do you? We all know how it was when the clergy had important roles in our society a few decades ago. My grandmother for instance was scolded at her very home at the age of 16 or so for not being pregnant soon enough. The priest would do his rounds and follow up to make sure she would get married soon. I don't know about you, but this is definitely not a world I want to live in and application of religion in real life is what this is.

Most people are just afraid to speak out against it for fear of being labelled racist or Islamophobic just like you did.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        And you completely ignored the point I was making, that the Democrats/Left has been far more the driving force behind un civil behavior for a while now, harassing Republicans in restaurants and other public settings with Pelosi urging them on. And that is certainly not the first hostile comment out of Clinton's yap.

But you accept that sort of behavior from the left, don't you?

No one should have the right to harass, threaten or actually attack someone else, over their political views or anything else for that matter.
        Poor Replicants being harassed in restaurants ''wipes tear''. Meanwhile you've got white nationalists and the deportation bus team having a blast in your country swallowing Trump's policies like candy.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Poor Replicants being harassed in restaurants ''wipes tear''. Meanwhile you've got white nationalists and the deportation bus team having a blast in your country swallowing Trump's policies like candy.
          I love it! I thought I was the only one who use that term!
          sigpic

Comment

How would you like getting chased out of and otherwise harassed because of your political views? Or is that treatment acceptable only for people whose views you don't agree with? You disagree with someone, fine, discuss it in the proper place.

But you don't have the right to harass anyone, any more than I have the right to harass Democrats/liberals.

Comment

How would you like getting chased out of and otherwise harassed because of your political views? Or is that treatment acceptable only for people whose views you don't agree with? You disagree with someone, fine, discuss it in the proper place.
              They are PUBLIC SERVANTS they answer to YOU, THE PEOPLE, and they get paid well enough, and have enough extra perks to compensate them for it, and you can harass Trump as much as you could harass Obama while he was in office.
              But you don't have the right to harass anyone, any more than I have the right to harass Democrats/liberals.
              How would you like being sent pipe bombs?
              Or shot up in your "sacred space"
              Or are they somehow equal to being "harassed"?
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                They are PUBLIC SERVANTS they answer to YOU, THE PEOPLE, and they get paid well enough, and have enough extra perks to compensate them for it, and you can harass Trump as much as you could harass Obama while he was in office.

How would you like being sent pipe bombs?
                Or shot up in your "sacred space"
                Or are they somehow equal to being "harassed"?
                Thing is, I'm not defending the pipe bombers, or anyone else. However, some people are defending the people who harass Republicans at restaurants, etc.

Comment

Thing is, I'm not defending the pipe bombers, or anyone else. However, some people are defending the people who harass Republicans at restaurants, etc.
                  You have EVERY RIGHT to harass your congress people, your senators and any other public official in ANY setting, it's part of the JOB because they work FOR YOU.
                  I don't care what party affiliation you harass, go for broke.
                  What you DO NOT have the right to do is send bombs, or shoot up a synagogue, or a baseball game, or a nightclub.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Even though I will probably be struck by lightening for using the term...but...I think that pipe bombs, shooters, and being murdered trumps being harassed. You can't die from verbal harassment.
                    sigpic

Comment

How would you like getting chased out of a country you thought was home and otherwise harassed because of your immigration status? Or is that treatment acceptable only for people of different origins you don't understand? You disagree with them, fine, figure out an arrangement and don't destroy their lives.

But you don't have the right to harass immigrants, any more than I have the right to harass US citizens for their limited nationalist point of view, conveyed and fueled by your own President which is dividing your people and calls himself a white nationalist.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Even though I will probably be struck by lightening for using the term...but...I think that pipe bombs, shooters, and being murdered trumps being harassed. You can't die from verbal harassment.
                        Of course it does. People have the right, as GF mentionned, to harass their politicians (Strike, emails, letters, verbal exchange, etc.).

Bolded: I must disagree, depression and rejection can lead to suicide. But in this particular case, politicians are exposed to verbal harassment and should be able to handle it, it's literally their daily job.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

You have EVERY RIGHT to harass your congress people, your senators and any other public official in ANY setting, it's part of the JOB because they work FOR YOU.
                          No it's not. That is one of the stupidest things you've ever written here, frankly. Think through the implications before suggesting something like that.

As I recall, though, Republican congressmen HAVE been subject to both threats of violence and actual violence with knives and guns. Google 2017 Congressional baseball shooting, for starters.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I don't care what party affiliation you harass, go for broke.
                            What you DO NOT have the right to do is send bombs, or shoot up a synagogue, or a baseball game, or a nightclub.
                            Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            What was that about civility in politics? Surely, not something the left believes in.

And I'm not just talking about national incidences. Consider this place. GF, you and I have vehemently disagreed on almost every issue we've discussed.
                            How many time have I resorted to personal insults and such? How many times have you?

The folks on your side of the fence seem to feel that if you disagree with someone, that entitles you to harass the people you disagree with by any means that you desire.

A fine national example would be what Hillary came out with a few weeks back, which basically boils down to "We'll behave once we have power back".

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                              No it's not. That is one of the stupidest things you've ever written here, frankly. Think through the implications before suggesting something like that.

As I recall, though, Republican congressmen HAVE been subject to both threats of violence and actual violence with knives and guns. Google 2017 Congressional baseball shooting, for starters.
                              Hold your horses sir, we're not talking about pipe bombers here, we're talking about people being chased away from restaurants. Remember the baker case and his gay cake? Well that means business owner can do whatever the f**k they want including kicking out Replicants eating a meal in their establishment.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Bolded: I must disagree, depression and rejection can lead to suicide. But in this particular case, politicians are exposed to verbal harassment and should be able to handle it, it's literally their daily job.
                                I see your point, but in most people it does not lead to suicide. Good lord...I was bullied in middle school, but I'm still here. I didn't get depressed or anything of that nature. As an educator, I face similar harassment just for doing my job. So, yes, I will give you that verbal harassment can have ill psychological effects on people, but our civic leaders (whether appointed or elected) should have more than the mental fortitude to withstand being heckled in a restaurant.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X