This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you identify this molecule?

I've been playing the MMORPG DC Universe Online, and in the Meta Wing of the JLA Watchtower, there is a giant hologram of what appears to be molecule, but there is no information about the atoms that it is comprised of. I've attached a 2-dimensional representation of the molecule. Can anyone tell me what kind of molecule it is?
    Unknown Molecule.jpg

it looks like a mess....

there appears to be a cyclopentane attached to a cyclopropane, 3 methyl groups branching off from the cyclopentane, 2 methyl groups branching off the cyclopropane, then a butyl group branching off an intersecting carbon on the cyclopentane/cyclopropane complex, the from this butyl group a methyl and an ethyl group branching off

but I'll be darned if I could remember how to put all that together into a coherent name for the compound.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ancientechexpert View Post
      I've been playing the MMORPG DC Universe Online, and in the Meta Wing of the JLA Watchtower, there is a giant hologram of what appears to be molecule, but there is no information about the atoms that it is comprised of. I've attached a 2-dimensional representation of the molecule. Can anyone tell me what kind of molecule it is?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]35018[/ATTACH]
      A lot of carbons and hydrogens
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Thats Steve... We hang all the time.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

Uh, is there any reason to believe this is an existing substance?

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
          it looks like a mess....

there appears to be a cyclopentane attached to a cyclopropane, 3 methyl groups branching off from the cyclopentane, 2 methyl groups branching off the cyclopropane, then a butyl group branching off an intersecting carbon on the cyclopentane/cyclopropane complex, the from this butyl group a methyl and an ethyl group branching off

but I'll be darned if I could remember how to put all that together into a coherent name for the compound.....
          Assuming that all atoms drawn in the pic are carbons and covalent bonds are ok... If memory serves the cyclic nightmare is bicyclo[3.1.0]hexane (6 carbon bicyclic compound with bridges of 3, 1, and 0 atoms)

Numbers of carbons start at the bridge head and go along the longest bridge first, making the carbon that hosts the big substituent carbon number 1.

That substituent is a bit tricky for me. One methyl group attached to first carbon of ethyl, and the ethyl that is attached to the second carbon of butyl: 1-methyl-2-ethyl-butyl ?

Then five methyl groups attached to carbons 2,3,4,5 and 6, -> 2,3,4,5,6-pentamethyl

Mash it up:

1-(1-methyl-2-ethyl-butyl)-2,3,4,5,6-pentamethyl-bicyclo[3.1.0]hexane

This likely isn't right. It doesn't say what carbon of butyl is attached to cyclic ring and the bracts were guesswork

Comment

IUPAC: 1-(2,3-dimethylpentan-3-yl)-2,3,5,6-tetramethylbicyclo[3.1.0]hexane

Smiles: CCC(C)(C(C)C)C12C(C)C1(C)CC(C)C2C

More info here

Comment

Oh, true, 5 carbons there, not 4 But there is 5 methyls attached to the cyclic nightmare at the drawing?

Comment

looks like organic chemistry... ewwww
                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancientechexpert View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]35018[/ATTACH]
                  yup it's the Orca, Ursa's sister constellation

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                    Oh, true, 5 carbons there, not 4 But there is 5 methyls attached to the cyclic nightmare at the drawing?

Don't ask me, ask IUPAC. I just worked out the smiles and googled a smiles->IUPAC, haha. The drawing here matches the drawing in the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                      Don't ask me, ask IUPAC. I just worked out the smiles and googled a smiles->IUPAC, haha. The drawing here matches the drawing in the website.
                      I meant that there is no CH3 attached at 4th carbon of bicyclo[3.1.0]hexane on iupac site drawing. At the drawing Ancientechexpert gave us there is

How on Earth did you figure out the similes? I don't even know where to begin

Comment

Oops, my fault. That just makes it 2,3,4,5,6-penta.

Smiles is for computers.

Ignore H, Cut cycles, turning it into a spanning tree, and then write out the longest chain, brackets for branches, and label numerically the cuts.

For example you could cut the triangle on the right and cut the top left pentagon side.

This gives you the long chain:

CC1CCC2C1CCC

The red is the pentagon. You can then insert the branches:

CC1C(C)C(C)C2(C)C1(C2C)C(C)(CC)C(C)C.

Searching for it on the same website gives the same molecule (with the fix).

1-(2,3-dimethylpentan-3-yl)-2,3,4,5,6-pentamethylbicyclo[3.1.0]hexane

The smiles is differently because I did that one manually, haha. The other one I used a program to draw in the object (I must have missed the methyl) and used that to generate the smiles.

There are also symbols for other types of bonds, etc, but it's simple for these types of molecules.

That said, the website resmiled it for me: CCC(C)(C(C)C)C12C(C)C1(C)C(C)C(C)C2C so there must be some standard to make them unique.

Comment

Wow, it is making even less sense... And I'm even more surprised I ever passed organic chemistry

Comment

I've attached an image explaining the basic process:
                            Unknown Molecule.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X