The Gateworld Recipe Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    This is one thing I don't measure. When I make chicken noodle soup what I do is I make a gallon of chicken broth from sodium free chicken boullion powder and pour it into our 6-qt. crock pot, then I add a whole package of that diced chicken, 2 packages of diced celery/onion/carrot mix (sometimes called mirepoix) and just dump in some minced garlic...usually a lot esp. if we're sick....garlic can help with colds too presumably...then I turn on the crock pot to low and let it cook all day but in the last hour before I plan to serve it I add the package of whole wheat egg noodles....if you add those noodles at the beginning and let them cook all day with the rest of the soup the egg noodles will disintegrate....found that out the hard way when I put them in at the beginning by accident once.....
    By "all day" could that mean up to 9+ hours? I work all day and find that there aren't many crock pot recipies that can be turned on when I leave the house and cook the entire time I'm gone. I'd love to add another to that short list.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
      Hey! I'm not Nola, but I do recognize a lot in this dish.

1. A good substitute for Monterey Jack cheese is Colby and/or Colby Jack. It's a slightly different flavor, but it's got the same pop, for lack of a better word.
      Colby I can get no probs, Cheers
      When Mrs GF and I were dating, our favorite haunt was a "Texan Steakhouse" and they had Monterry Jack cheese steakfries, a dish she loves to this day, yet even thy have not had MJ cheese for a good 10 years now WHen I make it for her at home I've been using a Tasty/Motzarella blend, but it's still not the same.

2. Green chiles. As in, Mexican green chiles. I live less than 100 miles from the Mexico/US border, and we get them in cans down the Hispanic Food aisle, along with all the enchilada sauces and salsas. You can also roast your own. But they're not bell peppers. They are a HUGE component in New Mexican food. I love them and actually roast them on the grill before peeling them under running water. The variety from NM tends to be hotter than the variety from California.
      Cool, we just call them Chillies, and green, red and yellow are pretty easy to come by out here. It's just a tad confusing with the different names we like to give stuff
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

sorry I didn't get back sooner. Looks like most everything got answered just fine. Yes, chilies are hot peppers (I like the milder varieties) most definitely not bell peppers. I don't recall which brands I usually use, but they can be obtained canned, usually near the olives and pickles in the grocery.

Can't believe you can't get Monterry Jack cheese! Wow. Colby would be okay, same texture but not the same flavor.

The recipe actually came from Weight Watchers years ago. But it's so good, I make it anyway!
        sigpic

Comment

I am going to have to try to find those chiles here, Nola. I don't think I've ever thought to use them. August is the season for Hatch green chiles, so I always use them when they're in season. But not the canned variety. Hmm. . . .

*wanders off thinking of all the recipes to spice up*

Comment

another easy quicky recipe that my husband and I love...

Shrimp Creole

1 lb cleaned, shelled shrimp
            1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
            3 stalks celery, chopped
            1 large bell pepper, coarsely chopped
            1 can diced tomatoes (with chilies if you can get it, without is okay too)
            1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
            1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce

In a large skillet, sweat onions, celery, and bell pepper in a small amount of olive oil. Don't over cook! You want them still *slightly* crunchy. Add tomatoes, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook 3-5 minutes until shrimp are opaque. Do not overcook - it makes the shrimp tough. Serve over rice.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
              By "all day" could that mean up to 9+ hours? I work all day and find that there aren't many crock pot recipies that can be turned on when I leave the house and cook the entire time I'm gone. I'd love to add another to that short list.
              pretty much...but like I said I do wait to add the whole wheat egg noodles till about the last hour before I plan to serve it otherwise the noodles disintegrate if cooked for the entire time with everything else in the crockpot

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Not doubting it's "authenticity" as real chicken bud
                Am I the only one who can spot the difference beween meat that has been frozen then thawed and stuff fresh from a butcher?!?
                In anything coming from a crock-pot I guess I probably wouldn't notice due to the extended cooking time, but for steaks and such, I do tend to notice, I don't know what it is, but it always seems to taste different.
                guess so....

the tyson stuff is good enough for me and my unrefined taste buds...

Comment

1: We don't get Monterry Jack cheese here (which sucks cause I love it)
                  Any good substitute?

2: Chillies. Do you mean Chillie as in hot & Spicey Chillie, or Chillie as in Bell Peppers?

Besides that, we have a similar thing every Saturday night, except instead of cheese the chicken is just stuffed with garlic butter. (but not so much)
                  that sux....why can't you get it (the Monterey jack cheese)?

Comment

could be because GF1976 is in Australia...
                    sigpic

Comment

I know GF is in Australia....my way of asking what Aussie-land has against Jack cheese? maybe they're cheese elitists and feel they are too good for Jack cheese.....

Comment

At least they have Timtams.
                        sigpic

Comment

I know GF is in Australia....my way of asking what Aussie-land has against Jack cheese? maybe they're cheese elitists and feel they are too good for Jack cheese.....
                          I dunno bud, I don't think we are against it per se, (I sure as hell am not ), but we do have a pretty wide variaty of cheese around. Even asking at Deli's has proven to be a waste of time unfortunately
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                            At least they have Timtams.
                            That we do
                            A wonderous variaty these days. I'm rather partial to the choc-honeycomb ones, which is odd for me as I am not a big fan of sweets.
                            sigpic

Comment

I dunno bud, I don't think we are against it per se, (I sure as hell am not ), but we do have a pretty wide variaty of cheese around. Even asking at Deli's has proven to be a waste of time unfortunately
                              too bad you don't know how to make your own cheese...could make some Jack cheese yourself.....

Comment

too bad you don't know how to make your own cheese...could make some Jack cheese yourself.....
                                I don't think there is anywhere in the house or area around with stable contitions needed to make cheese. I'd love to grow my own mushrooms and beetroot, but yeah, just neither the space, nor the conditions to do either. Ahh the joys of renting...............

(And make my own Mead as well )
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X