No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm missing something here. But when I was a kid, back in the 70s, measles wasn't all that big a deal.

You caught measles, all it meant was a week or so off school until the spots cleared up.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

You can definitely die from measles. The mortality rate I think is something like 5%. It's like the flu. People do die from it but usually only the very young or very old
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah, everybody's different I suppose.

I was around 7 or so when I had measles, maybe 10 when I had Rubella (German measles we called it in those days), and 17 when I got chicken pox.

I remember getting the polio vaccine (on a lump of sugar), and the BSG (TB vaccine) when I was a kid.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          Agree with you I do.

Umm.. No. While it is your right to be stupid when it comes to raising your own kids, you do not have the right to risk infecting other people's kids. I don't care what form you have, if your kids haven't been vaccinated, they shouldn't be allowed in public schools. And legal penalties for not sending your kids to school should be applied.

I don't think the state has the right to directly force parents to vaccinate against their beliefs. But it does have the right to protect other kids.
          actually as long as all the rest of the kids in the school in question have been properly vaccinated it would seem that the only danger anti-vaxxers pose is to themselves....maybe all the anti-vaxxers will kill themselves off by simple fact of a deadly disease infecting their own unvaccinated bodies that their essential oils and other homeopathic remedies don't have a prayer of killing off...meanwhile all of us sane vaccinated people can rest relatively easy

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            actually as long as all the rest of the kids in the school in question have been properly vaccinated it would seem that the only danger anti-vaxxers pose is to themselves....maybe all the anti-vaxxers will kill themselves off by simple fact of a deadly disease infecting their own unvaccinated bodies that their essential oils and other homeopathic remedies don't have a prayer of killing off...meanwhile all of us sane vaccinated people can rest relatively easy
            That is a common misconception / myth about anti-vaxxers. They are a danger to other kids for a multitude of reasons.

Mainly:

1- Some kids are too young to be vaccinated for certain illnesses
            2- Their immune systems are needlessly exposed to, for instance, measles
            3- Strains can mutate and vaccines become ineffective
            4- Some kids have immune system problems, which means they can still contract illnesses
            5- It breaks off the whole concept of herd immunity
            6- There is absolutely no logical reason not to vaccinate your kid
            7- The fact that certain people contract these old diseases means the diseases themselves will never be completely eradicated (technically virus and diseases don't ''Die'' but pretty much disappear if everybody is vaccinated)

https://www.verywellhealth.com/who-i...d-kids-2634420
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              Except that vaccines, even when properly applied are not 100% effective. So there is no justification for allowing an unvaccinated kid to to present the risk of spreading a disease.

Comment

Agree with you I do.

Umm.. No. While it is your right to be stupid when it comes to raising your own kids, you do not have the right to risk infecting other people's kids. I don't care what form you have, if your kids haven't been vaccinated, they shouldn't be allowed in public schools. And legal penalties for not sending your kids to school should be applied.
                Ya can't read, can you?
                I don't think the state has the right to directly force parents to vaccinate against their beliefs. But it does have the right to protect other kids.
                Umm, so what would be your resolution to this?
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  Ya can't read, can you?

Umm, so what would be your resolution to this?
                  Quite simple. The state can't force vaccination. But it can require them to be enrolled in school. So, the parents get a ride till age 5 (required Kindergarten in the U.S.) Once age 5, the child is required to attend school where vaccination is required. (or be home schooled, and there are stiff requirements for that).
                  Unless home schooled, the child has to register. And therefore has to be vaccinated. And the parents can be legally penalized if they don't register.

Problem solved.

Comment

Quite simple. The state can't force vaccination. But it can require them to be enrolled in school. So, the parents get a ride till age 5 (required Kindergarten in the U.S.) Once age 5, the child is required to attend school where vaccination is required. (or be home schooled, and there are stiff requirements for that).
                    Unless home schooled, the child has to register. And therefore has to be vaccinated. And the parents can be legally penalized if they don't register.

Problem solved.
                    You are still forcing a choice, either do what the state wants, or don't get the benefit of the state.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      You are still forcing a choice, either do what the state wants, or don't get the benefit of the state.
                      But it is being done in a way which is legal. I don't think you could get a law mandating vaccination to pass constitutional muster. But requiring vaccination to attend public schools will, as the state has a legitimate overriding interest in protecting public health.

Comment

And to return to the topic at hand, fun though this digression has been.

Shortly before Christmas, I happened across a website where I could read comics for free. Not just the mainstream Marvel and DC superhero stuff, but obscure indie titles from Image, IDW, Dark Horse and so on.

I get that some of the things I'm reading are ongoing titles and that the latest issue hasn't been uploaded yet ("Saga" by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples for example), but even so, some of the mini-series just don't seem to go anywhere, or the apparent conclusion leaves you thinking "WTF was that all about?"
                        sigpic

Comment

New pet peeve.

There are a great many pubs/bars in central Glasgow in which one could potentially host a fan meeting.

Why then would the person organising it pick one that's at least a twenty five minute walk away from the city centre, and nearly fifteen minutes by bus?
                          sigpic

Comment

Due to lines, etc.. I don't think there is any such thing as fast food anymore. The operators of these restaurants locate them in high traffic areas. It generally takes 20 minutes to get into the drive thru, wait for the cars ahead of you, place your order and then wait for and get the food.

20 minutes is NOT fast food. Most folks only get 1/2 hour for lunch.
                            US, hm? Don't know why you guys let your employers get away with treating you like garbage ("Human material")...seriously, in Germany it's at least 1 hour for lunch-break (sometimes it's more) and you have shorter breaks during work, too! Not to mention payed vacation-time (by law!), payed sick-leave, mandatory healthcare etc. etc.

Pet peeve? Politicians who think they can ignore people (Article 13 in the EU for example! They are trying to push this through despite the fact that a majority of people don't want it!)!

ps: Hope for you that Bernie wins 2020 (he's about your only chance of becoming a true modern nation! With single-payer healthcare, free college etc.!)

Comment

Originally posted by ScifigirlSG View Post
                              As the peeve continues..
                              Today, I sent an email to StargateCommand asking about the Founders Patch. I received a response with an excuse that there were problems with the previous manufacturer and now a new manufacturer is making the patches. We will be updated soon concerning delivery.
                              As far as I can tell from the multitude of posts on the message feed complaining about the lack of patches, or communication (which they lack in general), they promised to send them out near the end of the March.

Now, they didn't specify the year... so... you know.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

MEMO: NEVER anger a writer, never become their enemy; because they have tools they can use for revenge.

I will not detail it, I will simply say I am rather unhappy right now

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X