Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pscard View Post
    There's a difference between those cars that speed up to the point of the merge and force their way in and those who try to get in but are cut off by the other cars.

If a driver extends a courtesy, pay it forward.
    The only way you end up stuck in the closed lane is by not merging over early enough, before the distance between cars shrinks. If you get over early enough, you don't have a problem. Of course, the downside to doing this is that you have to wait for more people who are ahead of you to go through the restriction, whatever it is. Sorry, if you think you're too important to wait through something, you get no slack whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      The only way you end up stuck in the closed lane is by not merging over early enough, before the distance between cars shrinks. If you get over early enough, you don't have a problem. Of course, the downside to doing this is that you have to wait for more people who are ahead of you to go through the restriction, whatever it is. Sorry, if you think you're too important to wait through something, you get no slack whatsoever.
      My post wasn't about me. It was about what I've observed.
      Total syffy posts: 36,690
      (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
      Matthew 5:9

Comment

My post wasn't about me. It was about what I've observed.
        Wasn't talking about you, specifically. Nor accusing you.

Comment

Wasn't talking about you, specifically. Nor accusing you.
          Then why did the post say:
          "Sorry, if you think you're too important to wait through something, you get no slack whatsoever."

I'm not offended in the least, just a little confused, my old friend.
          (Chosen One)

Comment

My current pet peeve: This gorram cold I've contracted. Can't breathe. Can't stop coughing. Had a bronchial spasm this evening that was so bad I couldn't even hold the dose of albuterol from my inhaler in long enough to do much good at stopping it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Why would an extremely bright light be installed on the back of a vehicle so that it faces the cars that are behind it? I have my suspicions.

I was on the road before sunrise three lanes to the right and about one car-length behind, and it was still easily visible and a little painful.
              (Chosen One)

Comment

Why would an extremely bright light be installed on the back of a vehicle so that it faces the cars that are behind it? I have my suspicions.

I was on the road before sunrise three lanes to the right and about one car-length behind, and it was still easily visible and a little painful.
                Sounds like a way to deal with tailgaters to me. Or possibly people who don't dim their brights when coming up behind another vehicle.

Back in the days when I drove old cars that I reworked myself, I had arrangements for tailgaters as well. I rigged one car up to throw a smokescreen out the exhaust pipes (dual exhaust, V8 engine). Very effective at getting people off my arse.
                Chucking an old pop can or other debris out the window at them works too.

On the other hand, such a light could have multiple uses not involving traffic. Was this a pickup truck or van of some sort? Or have a trailer hitch? I've had bright rear facing lights on vehicles I've towed boats with to facilitate nighttime trailer launching/recovery operations.
                Last edited by Annoyed; 25 April 2015, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a way to deal with tailgaters to me. Or possibly people who don't dim their brights when coming up behind another vehicle.

Back in the days when I drove old cars that I reworked myself, I had arrangements for tailgaters as well. I rigged one car up to throw a smokescreen out the exhaust pipes (dual exhaust, V8 engine). Very effective at getting people off my arse.
                  Chucking an old pop can or other debris out the window at them works too.

On the other hand, such a light could have multiple uses not involving traffic. Was this a pickup truck or van of some sort? Or have a trailer hitch? I've had bright rear facing lights on vehicles I've towed boats with to facilitate nighttime trailer launching/recovery operations.
                  It was more like a utility truck and I couldn't tell if there was a hitch.

The light was connected just below the rear bumper and remained on, so it was probably hooked up to the tail lights. Now that I think about it, that may have been a high beam headlight.

Anyone driving behind him wouldn't have been able to see the rear plate because it was so bright.
                  (Chosen One)

Comment

Spoilers for current/new shows/movies not under spoiler tags. Really getting ticked off about Avengers: AoU info.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
                    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

How about the tongue of your shoe slipping through your laces and sticking out of your shoe?
                      On the edge of breaking down
                      sigpic
                      Banner made by me

Comment

Has anyone had an air conditioner repairman charge a Diagnostic Fee to check out your AC?

Also, was it waived if you agreed to have the repair done?

How much did you pay for the fee?
                        (Chosen One)

Comment

Although I've never had to pay anyone to work on an A/C unit or work on the cars' A/C; I can usually figure out what is wrong myself, particularly with a car unit, I wouldn't consider such fees unusual. Many forms of equipment repair services use this business model, and most will waive the fee if you have them do the repair on it. If they won't apply the fee to the final bill, I wouldn't do business with them.

But it is an understandable precaution for the service provider; in most troubleshooting/repair situations, the diagnosis is 3/4 of the work. Without these policies, people would bring it in for repair, have the shop figure out what is wrong, and then do the repair themselves or by someone else.

Comment

People who put "Baby On Board" caution signs on their vehicles and then proceed to do extremely stupid things with those vehicles.

I drive a mid-size SUV, weighs in at about 5000 Lbs. It's bigger than a breadbox.
                            So, yesterday, I'm driving along and some female in a Volkswagen bug with such a sign and a child in the back seat is trying to turn left out of a shopping center. She stops, looks to her left, sees oncoming traffic (me) and then looks to her right, and sees it's clear from that direction. She then looks back at me, gives me a big smile, and then pulls out in front of me.

Fortunately for her and her kid, I was able to take evasive action and avoid a collision.

Considering that that bug weighs less than 1/2 of what my car weighs, any collision would likely have proven fatal for occupants of the bug.

Lady, just because you put a sign in your window don't expect every other driver on the road to compensate for your stupidity. In this case, many drivers on the road these days wouldn't have been able to avoid killing you and your kid.

Comment

Although I've never had to pay anyone to work on an A/C unit or work on the cars' A/C; I can usually figure out what is wrong myself, particularly with a car unit, I wouldn't consider such fees unusual. Many forms of equipment repair services use this business model, and most will waive the fee if you have them do the repair on it. If they won't apply the fee to the final bill, I wouldn't do business with them.

But it is an understandable precaution for the service provider; in most troubleshooting/repair situations, the diagnosis is 3/4 of the work. Without these policies, people would bring it in for repair, have the shop figure out what is wrong, and then do the repair themselves or by someone else.

My mechanic doesn't ask for a diagnostic fee to check out my car. This is just speculation, but I figure the A/C companies do that figuring the customer will give in after paying $85 for the diagnosis instead of checking elsewhere for a better price.

This is for my house's A/C. I had done most of the work myself, having replaced three electric components, cleaned the heater unit fan and outside grill, and installed new filters. I haven't had cold air for a couple of years (I can take the heat). When I tested the unit a few times, the coils became cold then hot. After doing that a few times, the coils stopped get cold. That tells me it's a freon leak.

I'd like to ask the repairman to check that first, before moving on to anything else.

Worse case scenario: How much do you think it costs to repair the leak and add new freon?
                              (Chosen One)

Comment

Worse case scenario: How much do you think it costs to repair the leak and add new freon?
                                That would depend upon the age of the unit I would think. If it was made before the EPA banned some types of freon in the 1990's, you may not be able to fix it at any price. There were further restrictions added in 2005? or so, same story there. if what it uses for freon is being phased out, it may be available, but very expensive. Or there may be a substitute they can use in place of the original, but they generally don't work as good. This is one area I would defer to a trustworthy HVAC tech. on.

Comment

Working...
                                X