• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    The flu.
    *makes you some chicken noodle soup and some chamomile tea with honey*

Comment

people who sell the idea that if you go to college and you will get a great job!! What a load of crap !!
      sigpic
      May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        *makes you some chicken noodle soup and some chamomile tea with honey*
        YUM! *achoo!*

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
        people who sell the idea that if you go to college and you will get a great job!! What a load of crap !!
        But I have a BA and I have a great...oh, wait, no I don't. I waited tables for years despite my degree, and still can't get a "good" job with it. Currently, I run a sales business from my home and work as a salesgirl in retail.

My hubby's degree did help him, albeit not right away--it all depends on the degree and what the companies you are applying at are looking for. His former co-manager only has a GED, but that fellow also only got the managerial position because he was already co-owner when their company was bought out.

I know people who make great money in trade fields, too. It all depends on what you want out of life, but having a degree does not ensure a great job, for sure.
        sigpic
        Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
        Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Before my degree I stacked shelves in a little corner shop..

After my degree I cleaned cars..

Comment

I blame the baby boomers
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

Before my degree, I waitressed.

After my degree, I waitressed.
              sigpic
              Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
              Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

I got a new petpeeve Verizon, I hate their share everything plan when they say everything it really means everything even my private texts not happy with Verizon I miss At&t
                sigpic
                siggy made by RogueRanger
                http://youtu.be/frhgT5CMpjo
                killing threads one post at a time

Comment

Originally posted by capricaabydos View Post
                  I got a new petpeeve Verizon, I hate their share everything plan when they say everything it really means everything even my private texts not happy with Verizon I miss At&t
                  Wait, what?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I blame the baby boomers
                    Don't blame us. We got sold the same load of crap, and it isn't working all that great for a lot of us, either.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water.
                    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water.
                    -- Zen proverb

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

The elderly sature the market that it makes difficult for a college graduate to get a job. I have no doubt you were told the same. However when you have these baby boomers working past retirement making it more difficult for me to get a job. I know its biased and the baby boomers would not feel the same way as me.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        The elderly sature the market that it makes difficult for a college graduate to get a job. I have no doubt you were told the same. However when you have these baby boomers working past retirement making it more difficult for me to get a job. I know its biased and the baby boomers would not feel the same way as me.
                        yeah the <snip> economy is affecting everyone.....baby boomers having to work past retirement age due to very little or no pension from their former jobs and lack of new jobs for younger people

I wish someone had encouraged me to look into trade schools more....I'm going to massage school now where I'm learning a trade that can be used in various medical settings

Comment

Frankly, the only reason most people would choose to work past what normally would be retirement age is if they don't have enough money to retire. I'll probably be one of them, unless I get very lucky. I was born in the last six months of the Baby Boom and am a relatively long way from retirement age, but because the whole "great jobs" thing began to go away right around the time I was finishing college (for the first time) I've never been in a position to save up anything toward my eventual retirement.

That right there is a peeve of mine, in fact. The idea of "trickle-down" economics began to be floated when I was in high school and was as full of bovine excrement then as it is today. Some of us recognized that and had the scary feeling we were about to be screwed, but we also hoped it would be over with a lot sooner than this and there'd be some time for recovery before we were even into our middle years. Boy, were we ever over-optimistic!

(And yeah, I know none of that helps your generation any. What's needed is an overhaul of the economic model such that there is enough work and enough resources for everyone, and it isn't being hoarded by any one group.)
                          Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 19 September 2013, 04:51 PM.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I agree with SF&C. MOST people who are of retirement age and don't retire, work because they enjoy the good things in life. Like eating, or heat, or having a roof over their heads. I have never been able to put two pennies together, either, into any sort of savings or retirement fund, so it's very likely that I will work until I die. Believe me, I do not want to be in competition with some energetic little 22 year-old who can work days, nights, week-ends, holidays, ten hour plus shifts... Not exactly how I pictured my "Golden Years". And, in all likelihood, if I do get senile or become physically unable to work, I'll probably wind up in one of those horrible senior homes that make you want to die.

I have no gripe with an older citizen "taking" a job that I could work or a newly graduated college student could work. Now, illegal aliens taking jobs--that's another story.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
                              I agree with SF&C. MOST people who are of retirement age and don't retire, work because they enjoy the good things in life. Like eating, or heat, or having a roof over their heads. I have never been able to put two pennies together, either, into any sort of savings or retirement fund, so it's very likely that I will work until I die. Believe me, I do not want to be in competition with some energetic little 22 year-old who can work days, nights, week-ends, holidays, ten hour plus shifts... Not exactly how I pictured my "Golden Years". And, in all likelihood, if I do get senile or become physically unable to work, I'll probably wind up in one of those horrible senior homes that make you want to die.

I have no gripe with an older citizen "taking" a job that I could work or a newly graduated college student could work. Now, illegal aliens taking jobs--that's another story.
                              yeah that's the other part of the problem...we're far too generous I think to the illegals, slapping the face of people trying to get into our country legally in the process

and "trickle-down" (an idea born of I believe Herbert Hoover) and FDR' "pump-priming" both had a fatal flaw....they both relied on government stimulus money in some way, shape or form...and where do you think that money came from? taxes....so basically both methods resulted in robbing Peter to pay Paul

Comment

That isn't at all what "trickle-down" economics refers to, MG. "Trickle-down" economics refers to putting more money into the hands of the already-wealthy with the idea that it will then "trickle down" to everyone else. It isn't a product of anything to do with FDR and it has nothing to do with stimulus from taxes, either. It's a term coined by Will Rogers in the 1920s, but it really came to the fore in the 1980s.

Basically, it was the mantra of the Reagan years, as it was popularized as an economic strategy during his administration. And it has NEVER worked. Stimulus spending, however, has a proven record of positive results when done correctly. (Done incorrectly, all it does is prolong an already-problematic economic situation.)

To learn more: read this. (non-partisan explanation of the theory, with pros and cons)

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X