No announcement yet.

Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May the gods preserve me from people who ask STUPID BLOODY QUESTIONS!
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Trust me on this, it takes a special kind of patience to keep you from murdering them.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

New peeve. Well, continuation of an old one.

Lazy authors.

I'm reading a fantasy book, it's set in a pretty standard pseudo Medieval city on a hill, orcs, elves, dwarves etc. But at the same time it's a buddy buddy cop story.

At one point in the story, a dwarf character uses the expression "Cut to the chase" - meaning "Let's get to the point.

The origins of the expression go back to the old silent movie days, when directors wanted to get to the action of a car chase sooner rather than later.

So, that being the case, how can you "Cut to the chase" in a world that doesn't have a motion picture industry, or a motor vehicle industry?
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Trust me on this, it takes a special kind of patience to keep you from murdering them.
          No, I think its more a case of "so many idiots, so little time".

Comment

just be like the genetically enhanced dude named "Patrick" in Star Trek: DS9 - "That's a stupid question" every time someone asked him any question

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              No, I think its more a case of "so many idiots, so little time".

Comment

New peeve. Well, continuation of an old one.

Lazy authors.

I'm reading a fantasy book, it's set in a pretty standard pseudo Medieval city on a hill, orcs, elves, dwarves etc. But at the same time it's a buddy buddy cop story.

At one point in the story, a dwarf character uses the expression "Cut to the chase" - meaning "Let's get to the point.

The origins of the expression go back to the old silent movie days, when directors wanted to get to the action of a car chase sooner rather than later.

So, that being the case, how can you "Cut to the chase" in a world that doesn't have a motion picture industry, or a motor vehicle industry?
                Can you chase a horse?
                A band of Orcs?
                A cart armed with mighty joint?

I get what you are saying, but expressions do evolve naturally as well, just look at Shakespeare. How many of his terms still exist, but just in a more modern form?
                You mewling quim
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

To be, or not to be.

"Het kan verkeren," zei Bredero. -- "It may be," Bredero said.

Gerbrand Adriaenszoon Bredero (1585 - 1618) was a Dutch poet and playwright in the period known as the Dutch Golden Age, and a contemporary of Shakespeare (1564 - 1616).

Comment

Am I being too picky about it?

I just felt it a bit jarring, and kind of took me out of the story for a moment or two.
                    sigpic

Comment

Am I being too picky about it?

I just felt it a bit jarring, and kind of took me out of the story for a moment or two.
                      Probably a similar feeling to what I get when I'm reading a news or other article and there is a glaring gaffe in language use, spelling, grammar or whatnot. "Doesn't anybody proof read this crap?" Or "Is this the best they can get out of the schools these days?"

Comment

I'm a document designer so the slightest mishap in an official letter, I spot and then I can't unsee it. Same with wording so no, not picky at all.

Comment

Who else hates "on hold" music?

Just spent the last fifteen minutes on hold, trying to cancel the mail order account my mum had.
                          sigpic

Comment

Who else hates "on hold" music?

Just spent the last fifteen minutes on hold, trying to cancel the mail order account my mum had.
                            On hold "music" is literally the most boring stuff you could come up with, I swear it's designed just to make you hang up.
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              On hold "music" is literally the most boring stuff you could come up with, I swear it's designed just to make you hang up.
                              An exciting audiobook ought to do better.

For me, automated answering machines that overexplain everything. Ugh. I just want to pay the stupid bills!!!
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Night time drivers.....

Seriiously, these idiots think that if they drive with their HIGH BEAMS, the ultra bright blinding lights, on at night, when you arent supposed to do so. The guy behind me had his brights on, he wanted to show me how good his mecanhic did for alignment, I could have turned my own lights off and used him to light my way

*Grumbles in McKay*

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X