Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Sitting in a theater waiting for T.R.O.S.
    Does anyone else think it’s time to release movies direct to home media?
    I’m serious. Modern Home Theater systems give better picture & sound, without the aggravation of going out of the house, endless trailers & so forth.

Sure, keep theaters for those who want to put up with all that, but simultaneously release to Blu-ray.
    not to mention the grossly overpriced concession stand

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Ohh, I hope not. I had enough of the whole dementia rollercoaster during the last eight years or so of my dad's life.
      yeah we tried to take care of my grandma for a few months back in early 2011 at home....realized we were ill-equipped to do so as both my mom and sis worked....I didn't have a job at the time and so being effectively the only caretaker all day eventually began to take its toll on my body....so we sent her to live with one of my aunts in Allentown and to her credit she put up with the crap for at least a whole year before finally realizing that such patients need to be in a secure dementia care facility

anyhow during the few months we tried to care for her she'd look at our high wooden picket fence and claim that we were keeping her in prison amongst other rants

Comment

My pet peeve today is the internet.

Or specifically a particular thread on Gallifrey Base.

I offer up some constructive criticism to the publisher of a recently published Doctor Who spin off novel, and people are biting my head off about it.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          My pet peeve today is the internet.

Or specifically a particular thread on Gallifrey Base.

I offer up some constructive criticism to the publisher of a recently published Doctor Who spin off novel, and people are biting my head off about it.
          I gave up on that place a LONG time ago.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            not to mention the grossly overpriced concession stand
            That's easy. In the words of Nancy Reagan: Just say no. I can go 3 hours without eating no problem.

But on the topic of their greed... There's a Drive-in in this area that I used to go to sometimes, the old nostalgia thing rearing its head. Admission was the same as the theater.

Then they came up with this idea of a $5 dollar / car fee, on the assumption that people would bring popcorn and such with them in their cars, which, of course, they did. I turned around and haven't been back since.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Sitting in a theater waiting for T.R.O.S.
              Does anyone else think it’s time to release movies direct to home media?
              Not really because there's the advantage of the big screen. Movies will look infinitely different on a tiny screen so I'd like the opportunity to see it on the big screen at least once.

Like I had no idea what a difference the screens made, when I had the opportunity to see a screening of Singing In The Rain some 20 years ago in an old theater plex on a big ass screen. I was used to seeing it on a small television screen and all of a sudden Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor are huge on my screen and it's epic...

What I can do without, like madgater says, is the cost of drinks and snacks.

We paid 12,55 € (x2) to go see TROS, and simply took a bottle of coke with us, hidden in our bag, and 2 bags of chips.
              I agree that going to the movies has become a little too expansive for my liking, especially when the seats are rubbish (though luckily not the case where saw TROS last week). Good seats, all the way in the back, and in the corner. No one to bug me for elbow space and more leg room than I could ever wish for.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The thing that annoys me most about cinemas these days - says the grumpy old fart of nearly 50 - are the people who think it's ok to simply turn up part way through the ads and trailers (of which there are waaay too many, but that's another matter) and make a big deal out of finding their seats.
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Not really because there's the advantage of the big screen. Movies will look infinitely different on a tiny screen so I'd like the opportunity to see it on the big screen at least once.

Like I had no idea what a difference the screens made, when I had the opportunity to see a screening of Singing In The Rain some 20 years ago in an old theater plex on a big ass screen. I was used to seeing it on a small television screen and all of a sudden Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor are huge on my screen and it's epic...

We paid 12,55 € (x2) to go see TROS, and simply took a bottle of coke with us, hidden in our bag, and 2 bags of chips.
                  I agree that going to the movies has become a little too expansive for my liking, especially when the seats are rubbish (though luckily not the case where saw TROS last week). Good seats, all the way in the back, and in the corner. No one to bug me for elbow space and more leg room than I could ever wish for.
                  Many people don't have "tiny screens" anymore. I've got a 60" plasma screen in the living room, and my viewing distance is 5 ft. This gives me an image that takes up a roughly equivalent percentage of my field of view as a theater, assuming seats in the middle area.

I'm not saying it should be direct to home only, I'm just saying release to home and theater the same day, so the folks with good home hardware don't have to suffer the aggravations of a theater.

Nor do they have to wonder what has been spilled on that theater seat in the past......

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

now we just have to hope that movie theater ushers don't start emulating the TSA

Comment

But that would mean hiring someone, training them, and paying them to search people's bags etc.

My local fleapit is a tiny four screen cinema with a small number of staff - one at the ticket counter (two if it's busy), one at the concession stand (two if it's busy, three if it's really busy), one checking the tickets, and a single projectionist in a central control room covering all four screens.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        now we just have to hope that movie theater ushers don't start emulating the TSA
                        Already happening.

Usually whenever there's a viable thread around to do so.

Comment

Any of you guys good at ID-ing old TV shows?
                          sigpic

Comment

Depends on the show. Post what you remember and see what comes up.

Comment

This was a UK show, vaguely similar to "Scrapheap Challenge"/"Junkyard Wars", in that it involved customising an old vehicle.

Aired on C4 on a Friday evening.

Hosted by a DJ turned TV presenter.

Teams had to answer questions in order to get money (contained in a briefcase) for donor vehicle etc. (This section called "The Getaway", I think), getting questions wrong would result in the briefcase being flattened by an Abbot self-propelled gun (which the presenter would keep referring to as "a tank").

Airdate would have been at least ten years ago.

I *think* there was an episode about converting an old ice cream van into a riot control vehicle.

Any ideas?
                              sigpic

Comment

I found you Full Metal Challenge.

No idea if that's the one you're looking for but it was a Channel 4 show in 2003/2004 and it was with teams repurposing cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X