Post a pet peeve.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    There I was, looking forward to watching "The Boys", and my usual streaming site has failed me.

"Removed for Copyright Violations" if you please.

Bugger.
    The same thing happens to me constantly on youtube. get enough copyright violation notes or even TOU violation notes and BAM accounts are killed off7 of the original people I followed when I first joined youtube are gone.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

And now a new one from me!

In traffic, at a stoplight, when did this crap start ? The guy in front of me is at the white line, I pull up as close as I can to the guy, basically I was taught to pull forwards at a light behind someone to the point wherein I cannot see the ground under his rear bumper.

But now I see people at a light next to me, or in front of me, and they leave enough space to add 2 semitrucks and a motorcycle brigade between themselves and the guy in front of them. When did this crap start ? I once pulled in front of a guy into that open space, and got SHOT AT for it. My rule of thumb is just like in the fast food places, either step/pull forwards or I am getting in front of you

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

In traffic, at a stoplight, when did this crap start ? The guy in front of me is at the white line, I pull up as close as I can to the guy, basically I was taught to pull forwards at a light behind someone to the point wherein I cannot see the ground under his rear bumper.

But now I see people at a light next to me, or in front of me, and they leave enough space to add 2 semitrucks and a motorcycle brigade between themselves and the guy in front of them. When did this crap start ? I once pulled in front of a guy into that open space, and got SHOT AT for it. My rule of thumb is just like in the fast food places, either step/pull forwards or I am getting in front of you
        I've seen that behavior too. Just a guess, nothing official, but I suspect that people are leaving themselves extra room so they can play with their phones rather than paying attention to what they're doing.

Comment

This may have been stated already, but when I'm reading books, I get really frustrated and annoyed when a typo or grammatical error pops up. I can tolerate a few of those, but when the entire book is littered with those things, I want to throw the book away. I recently read a book that was like that, and at the end the author made a note saying that if any readers found any typos or grammatical errors to please let him know. So, I did. I sat down with a pencil and marked every error I found, then typed it up and emailed him 3 pages worth of errors. I was surprised when he wrote me back and thanked me. He has a new book that should have been released by now, but hasn't been. I'm wondering if he took it out of production in order to make sure there were no typos. I read a lot and resent it when typos practically leap out at me from the page.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            This may have been stated already, but when I'm reading books, I get really frustrated and annoyed when a typo or grammatical error pops up. I can tolerate a few of those, but when the entire book is littered with those things, I want to throw the book away. I recently read a book that was like that, and at the end the author made a note saying that if any readers found any typos or grammatical errors to please let him know. So, I did. I sat down with a pencil and marked every error I found, then typed it up and emailed him 3 pages worth of errors. I was surprised when he wrote me back and thanked me. He has a new book that should have been released by now, but hasn't been. I'm wondering if he took it out of production in order to make sure there were no typos. I read a lot and resent it when typos practically leap out at me from the page.
            Preach the word!

There's a book series I follow, and there's usually a half a dozen typos in each novel.

But on the other hand no spellchecker is ever 100% reliable 100% of the time.

However, I give the publisher a great deal of leeway in that regard because they're a small independent company who are doing something a bit different with a licensed property.

They're very responsive to the readership, and if someone spots a typo and lets them know about it, it'll be corrected for any subsequent editions of the book.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Well, considering what comes out of the schools these days, this is no surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

get some tank armor for your vehicle (or KITT's molecular-bonded shell) and watch their faces as their bullets just bounce off

Comment

My truck is armored yes, lightly so at that

Comment

Here we are in the 21st century, where a package can cross the Atlantic in just over twelve hours, and yet it takes bloody days to get from one end of the UK to the other.

I ordered three t-shirts from TeeFury, according to the tracking information they arrived in the UK in the early hours of Sunday morning, it's now late Thursday evening and I'm still bloody waiting!
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Here we are in the 21st century, where a package can cross the Atlantic in just over twelve hours, and yet it takes bloody days to get from one end of the UK to the other.

I ordered three t-shirts from TeeFury, according to the tracking information they arrived in the UK in the early hours of Sunday morning, it's now late Thursday evening and I'm still bloody waiting!
                      maybe they're being inspected by UK's PC police for anything "offensive"

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        Well, considering what comes out of the schools these days, this is no surprise.
                        I read another book in the last week that was literally littered with all kinds of errors. I wrote to the author (who has a Facebook page) and told him about it. I also wrote to the publisher about it. The author answered me and said he had hired a "proofreader" who was a friend of a friend, and his thought was she didn't even read the book, thus all the errors. He fired her. That still doesn't let the publication company off the hook. He also said the publisher (after the fact) went through and fixed all the errors and is going to send anyone who already had an e-book the corrected version. The corrections supposedly made it into the hardback book, which will be released this week.

Comment

Proofreading is a very difficult job.

I used to work in the office of a small talking newspaper, and anything we wrote had to be proofread by three other people to catch any typos, transposed words etc.

Which was no mean feat, considering there were only a dozen of us in the office at any one time, and we were all working on different things.

Plus, because our material was to be read aloud and recorded, any "tongue twisters", technical terms, or people with unusual names, had to have the phonetic spelling placed in parenthesis after the correct spelling.
                          sigpic

Comment

Proofreading is a very difficult job.

I used to work in the office of a small talking newspaper, and anything we wrote had to be proofread by three other people to catch any typos, transposed words etc.

Which was no mean feat, considering there were only a dozen of us in the office at any one time, and we were all working on different things.

Plus, because our material was to be read aloud and recorded, any "tongue twisters", technical terms, or people with unusual names, had to have the phonetic spelling placed in parenthesis after the correct spelling.
                            I find proofreading easy. I worked in law offices for many years and every document we produced had to be absolutely accurate.

The errors that were found in the book I was talking about were things a grade school or high school student would know were wrong. Plus, in reading many of the reviews for this and other books, nearly all of them commented on the errors found in the books. The publishers of books are supposedly responsible for making sure there are little to no errors before publishing any book. If they don't, it's just plain sloppy.

Comment

And to return to a well worn topic - delivery drivers leaving packages on my doorstep, not ringing the bell, not knocking on the door, and just buggering off back to their vehicle again.

I only found out the damn thing had been delivered when I checked the online tracking information.
                              sigpic

Comment

And to return to a well worn topic - delivery drivers leaving packages on my doorstep, not ringing the bell, not knocking on the door, and just buggering off back to their vehicle again.

I only found out the damn thing had been delivered when I checked the online tracking information.
                                Hey, at least they're making it to your doorstep.

https://wreg.com/2018/12/11/amazon-d...customer-says/

There were many such reports last holiday season. I miss the days when they used UPS/FedEx. Their own delivery service seems to suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X