Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to send someone a large online?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to send someone a large online?

I promised a friend I'd sent her a large, and I mean *large* amount of Amanda files I have, you know, pics and vids and what not, and it's over, like, 20 GB. Now, I tried putting them into a zip file, and I've tried uploading them on a site that can send files like that, but... yeah, I got troubles with that.

What's the best way I can send all those things as a whole? I know they're on tech people here who can help me.

Probably easier just to mail a couple burned DVDs, at sizes that large.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

you can try this:

http://www.wfshome.com/wwwfileshare.htm

it's free software that lets you designate any path on your computer as a file share folder....so you can just stick all those files in a folder on your hard drive....start the software, specify the folder where the files are stored as the file share path, and start the service from the software...from there you just give your friend the web address to your file share and she can point her browser to it and download the files

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
        I promised a friend I'd sent her a large, and I mean *large* amount of Amanda files I have, you know, pics and vids and what not, and it's over, like, 20 GB. Now, I tried putting them into a zip file, and I've tried uploading them on a site that can send files like that, but... yeah, I got troubles with that.

What's the best way I can send all those things as a whole? I know they're on tech people here who can help me.
        DVDs are the best option, but if you're unable to post then the best thing to do would probably be creating a split archive. Instead of a single 20gb ZIP file, you have the software create a bunch of different files, that when downloaded will extract all the files. Problem is this can be slow depending on your net connection and how big the files can be (most file share sites I know only let you use 1gb unless you pay to upload/download bigger files).

sigpic

Comment

You could make a torrent file. It is legal, in this case. In fact, I believe that this type of "file-sharing" was what it was made for.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I've used Megaupload, sending and receiving. There's a limit to the size, unless you pay, and I've had files not download correctly because my connection. It's just as SaberBlade has said.
            I don't know anything about torrents, wonder how they work.
            sigpic

Comment

unless you have a massive amount of shared space in the cloud, doing it online is a waste of time. sites like megaupload or the like have file size limits. you'll be uploading for years.

get a spindle of DVD-Rs, burn, mail, done.

and while a torrent would work, you need a tracker to host it on. it doesn't just magically work like a file send.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                unless you have a massive amount of shared space in the cloud, doing it online is a waste of time. sites like megaupload or the like have file size limits. you'll be uploading for years.

get a spindle of DVD-Rs, burn, mail, done.

and while a torrent would work, you need a tracker to host it on. it doesn't just magically work like a file send.
                Oh, true. But those are relatively easy to get at, no?
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

not really anymore.
                  most trackers are private / invite only.

and public ones have specific rules for uploaded files. they aren't for regular shmoes sharing pics and stuff.

the only solution is to set up a tracker yourself on a dedicated box. which takes time, and know-how.

so the real solution? start burning DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                  X