This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain & (proper)English language

You have visited Britain & you want to tell about your journey...
    You're planning a trip to Britain & you have some questions about it...
    You're learning (proper)English & you've a question about a word, a sentence...

...this topic is for you! Feel free to ask everything you want about Britain & (proper)English language!

Please don't do this for every language mate.....
    sigpic
    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

Comment

I hate the term in calling the UK English proper English. Languages just naturaly changes as cultures separate and form new cultures.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I hate the term in calling the UK English proper English. Languages just naturaly changes as cultures separate and form new cultures.
        *Slaps Jelgate* We no listen till you learn talking proper.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
          *Slaps Jelgate* We no listen till you learn talking proper.
          Me no do those things and words very good
          Jelgate is right

Comment

That's because you're American, and feel the need to divorce yourself from any allegiances to England.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
              That's because you're American, and feel the need to divorce yourself from any allegiances to England.
              No its how I know language change as the culture changes with it. Look at how Spanish is different in Spain then Mexico. Or how Greek and Latin has such a basis in European languages. And none of my ancestors were fron England.
              Jelgate is right

Comment

And none of my ancestors were fron England.
                Ah - it's the opposite then: jealousy of those whose lineage came from England. Understandable... the mother country and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                  Ah - it's the opposite then: jealousy of those whose lineage came from England. Understandable... the mother country and all that...
                  Not. Your country is no different then other countries. England (and the UK) have their flaws and advantages.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Not. Your country is no different then other countries. England (and the UK) have their flaws and advantages.
                    England is no better than...Zimbabwe? That's an incredulous comparison. Of course some countries are better than other countries, and for various reasons. England is better than Saudi Arabia in practically every way. Making a blanket statement that one country is no different than any other country is an vapid one at best.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

England is no better than...Zimbabwe? That's an incredulous comparison. Of course some countries are better than other countries, and for various reasons. England is better than Saudi Arabia in practically every way. Making a blanket statement that one country is no different than any other country is an vapid one at best.
                      Your twisting my words to make an absurd statement I never said or implied
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Your twisting my words to make an absurd statement I never said or implied
                        "Your country is no different then other countries. England (and the UK) have their flaws and advantages."

No different than other countries. No difference means the same. Other countries: Zimbabwe and Saudi Arabia. I am not twisting anything into anything more than you made it to be.

sigpic

Comment

You totally ignoring the second part of flaws and advantages hence the twisting of words
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The OP, unless he was looking to start a flame war or something, probably shouldn't have used the term "proper." After all, most professional linguists today are descriptive rather than proscriptive. So, they'd probably tell you that there is no truly proper way to speak a language. They might say that certain methods of speaking fall out side of the current bounds of the rules of a particular language, but wouldn't necessarily say something is outright wrong.

Comment

Well... browsing through the forum I'd say there are a lot of people who could benefit from some help with the English language (and surprisingly most of those people are native speakers).
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X