Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
    depends which part of the state.....there is more to NY state other than NYC and Long Island ya know

anyhow in the western part of the state (anything west of the Hudson and esp. the 8 counties that comprise what is commonly called WNY) it's more likely we get hydro power from the Falls, not from Quebec
    There is also a Nuke plant, used to be called Ginna decades ago 30 mi. east of Rochester.
    There are also a mix of other type plants.

Funny thing though, the way NY's power is allocated (controlled by Downstate, of course) economical power is reserved for downstate and some small town/village owned power companies.

For example, some years ago, the rate in Rochester was 11.5 cents/Kw-Hour. A nearby town, Fairport had what is known as municipal power, and the rate there was about 6 cents/Kw-Hour.
    NYC similar.

Those are approx. figures, I haven't lived in either area for a few decades now, but the basic setup is still the same.
    Last edited by Annoyed; 01 May 2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Actually, most of your power comes from a puke plant.
      Hey it's clean puke energy alright!

Until an accident occurs
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        For example, some years ago, the rate in Rochester was 11.5 cents/Kw-Hour. A nearby town, Fairport had what is known as municipal power, and the rate there was about 6 cents/Kw-Hour.
        NYC similar.

Those are approx. figures, I haven't lived in either area for a few decades now, but the basic setup is still the same.
        I've just puked a little. Your figures are so wrong it's laughable.

Residential electricity rates in New York average 17.62¢/kWh, which ranks the state 3rd in the nation.
        https://www.electricitylocal.com/states/new-york/

Did a bit of research on Fairport and basically they buy their hydro power off New York Power Authority and sells it back at low prices to their residents.

Many houses in Fairport are 100% electric, which means that hydro power is used to heat homes. This is surely more costly than using natural gas.
        https://theunbrokenwindow.com/2012/0...port-electric/

And Québec's hydro? on average 7 to 7.5 cents KW/h
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          I've just puked a little. Your figures are so wrong it's laughable.
          Did I not say that the figures were a few decades old?

Comment

Did I not say that the figures were a few decades old?
            You did.
            *eats back his own puke*

Yum!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              You did.
              *eats back his own puke*

Yum!
              Dang, you lizards will eat anything.

Comment

Dang, you lizards will eat anything.
                You are correct dear Sir, including your MAGA bs!
                Spoiler:

Comment

Maybe that is the problem. Forum etiquette 101 is, _ Don't feed the trolls"
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Who else would we use as our communial punching bag?

Frank!! Where are you?
                    Spoiler:

Comment

The mods
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

they are too scared to come down here Jel.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Im aware of this.

Im the reason Tame left
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Im aware of this.

Im the reason Tame left
                            Tame gave me my very first ban.
                            sigpic

Comment

Getting modded is a badge of honor. I have 4 badges
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I have but one

In all seriousness, I am glad the mods let us "play" down here, we need the outlet for all our mind exploding crap that we deal with every day.

Perhaps I am glad to an extent I only have one ban?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X