Confessions of a Bacon Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
    so no putting bacon under the turkey skin, that is shocking, well here is a tip I learned when cooking turkey, cook it breast down, it will baste itself that way, and it will come out juicy and the white meat won't be so dry.

you mean the turkey coma that we try to stay awake through while watching football.
    Nice tip! and I do that actually Well I do rub my turkey with butter and salt it...yeah I know heart attack....but it's good and once a year....we can do that. Nah no bacon. Pork and Turkey....together...ick
    Originally posted by jelgate
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
      Nice tip! and I do that actually Well I do rub my turkey with butter and salt it...yeah I know heart attack....but it's good and once a year....we can do that. Nah no bacon. Pork and Turkey....together...ick
      actually, I wouldn't know, I've never done that either.

I do all that too, but when I read about turning it breast down, I found the white meat, usually dry, came out juicy and great.

Comment

I do use bacon in my stuffing - bacon, onions, celery, chicken stock, and Peppridge Farms seasoned cubes. Oh, and unless you're a stickler about "presentation" you'll get a more evenly roasted turkey if you quarter it before cooking - then you can lay each piece flat and they cook at the same rate. No more dry breastmeat.
        sigpic

Comment

Cutting up a turkey before cooking is a sure way to dry it up
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

slow-cooking it in the slow-cooker is a good way to keep it moist as well

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              I do use bacon in my stuffing - bacon, onions, celery, chicken stock, and Peppridge Farms seasoned cubes. Oh, and unless you're a stickler about "presentation" you'll get a more evenly roasted turkey if you quarter it before cooking - then you can lay each piece flat and they cook at the same rate. No more dry breastmeat.
              hmmm maybe I will give the bacon in the dressing a spin this holiday. I have to giggle cuz we always make White Castle Dressing for my brother in law. HE LOVES White Castle burgers. They are a local burger chain that has been around for years. Some call them "sliders" cuz well they slide down but then go on through if you know what I mean. LOL White Castle never closes so we go out just to buy some fresh "Sliders" to make his dressing. He loves it. And I must say it's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                slow-cooking it in the slow-cooker is a good way to keep it moist as well
                let us not forget brining it. I liked good eats, they not only had recipes, but they explained the science behind the chemistry of food.

Turkey Brining Secrets

Good Eats Romancing The Bird Thanksgiving Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPikU6JNQo

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks epg20 is SQ's sockie?
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    please! I am not nearly that intelligent speaking nor do I have that many minion emoji's at my disposal.

Comment

sockie?

OH PLEASE JEL, I could tell you wanted to pet her furry tail with in the first few minutes of coming here.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
                        please! I am not nearly that intelligent speaking nor do I have that many minion emoji's at my disposal.
                        Intelligent speaking? This is a guy who has a love affair with spam. Not very intelligent
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

sockie?

OH PLEASE JEL, I could tell you wanted to pet her furry tail with in the first few minutes of coming here.
                          ewwww no...just no...he would cut it off maybe

Intelligent speaking? This is a guy who has a love affair with spam. Not very intelligent
                          you can have questionable love affairs and still be quite intelligent....look at Foley. Intelligent guy....stupid celeb crushes.

Comment

Foley?intelligent? Are you sure?
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

you know the squirrel is one of the most intelligent animals out there, those of us who have tried to keep them out of the bird feeder know this first hand.party0031.gif

Comment

Foley?intelligent? Are you sure?
                                yes he's intelligent....impulsive and a bit immature but still intelligent.

you know the squirrel is one of the most intelligent animals out there, those of us who have tried to keep them out of the bird feeder know this first hand.[ATTACH=CONFIG]41185[/ATTACH]
                                you know it!

Comment

Working...
                                X