• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again you change the subject
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post

there is a story as to how I got direct tv, not worth going in to, but if you must do away with it, then might I suggest cox cable, they are generally reliable and you can get a Very basic package, even one where you get the strangest thing to happen, you get cable tv without a cable box, can you imagine, it is like there is some sort of tuner INSIDE your tv, but that is of course not possible, well, I guess you could get the old tv out of the attic or basement, or where ever you put it.
      That might not work so well if the cable operator has switched to all digital signals, which some are doing. That old TV in the attic likely has an analog tuner, and would need a digital converter box like the govt. gave out coupons for back in 2009 or so.
      Even a modern TV, with a digital tuner won't pick up all the stations the "official" box will, in my case, BBCA is one such example.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
        I am ready to cut the cord I think..... I'm tired of paying so much money and not really watching much to make it worth it. If you have any suggestions or ways to get more TV for less PM me I'll be happy to take advice. And I know one way is to get an antenna and tune in channels LOL
        You might be able to switch to a cable operator, and then buy a 3rd party STB such as roku/slingbox/etc. and get an M-Card for from your cable provider (I believe they are legally required to provide them) for it. You avoid the monthly STB rental fee that way. Or, if you're technically inclined, you get get a computer, install Linux and MythTV on it, and make your own box to put the cable card in.

Comment

why do they make it so hard to get what should be free tv? I mean we are sitting through ads right? It makes me angry. I understand the premium channels without commercials should be pay per view .... I get that....but these other stations that you still have to sit through advertising should be available for free. And it shouldn't be rocket science to be able to get them for free.
          Originally posted by jelgate
          This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Are you really asking that question?
            Jelgate is right

Comment

How close are you to broadcasters antenna towers where you are?
              Digital OTA transmission has nowhere near the range of the old analog transmitters, but there many more channels available on sub-channels.
              If you can get good signals from all the network affiliate broadcast stations where you are, start looking at the X.x channels, 10.1, 10.2, and so on for example.
              You might find a few surprises there.. The CW is carried on a .x channel here, for example. Other things like MeTV(classic shows) are to be found here, too.

Many people aren't aware of these channels at all, since by the time TV went digital in 2009, most people were already wired to a cable system or sat. TV and didn't look at OTA at all.

Comment

the thing with digital OTA tv is that they still use the same old tech as the analog used to, they just transmit the digital signal instead the analog , if you want to do OTA, then you will need to get an antenna, but do not get the cheapest one you can find, get the most expensive you can find, or even make your own, I had a short wave radio at one time, and could only get certain stations during the night, but once I added a ten foot piece of copper wire to the antenna, I got a lot more stations, that is one way to get free tv, if you want to go that way, you will just need a decoder, you might be able to pick one up at radio shack, if they still exist.

but the cheapest package my cable company offered is just the most basic, channels 2-13 with no box required, you could expand it to go to extended basic, still no box, but you get something like 35-50 channels, it's ben a while, so some of this is fuzzy, and I got lucky on channel 25 was the scifi channel, yes even when they became syfy, and the comedy channel, and a bunch that I did watch and recorded with my VCR, yes, I still had/have my VCRs, plural, had to have two to record two shows at a time, just call around and check with your cable provider and check things out, and don't forget your ISP, they can offer, packages, then there is Netflix,hulu,amazon, and ... well you get the idea, just don't fall for those introductory offers, read the VERY fine print, just to be sure that you get the best deal. , oh just one more thing...eh hem...

SPAM RULES AND BACON DROOLS!

Comment

TV problems all over the world - same here. I need a new receiver in a fortnight, have to pay more but do not get more. My old receiver will not work any longer then. But cable or dish would be more expensive and antenna is the only thing my landlord offers.
                  By the way - *offers Sunday bacon*
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

Anja did something right
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
                      the thing with digital OTA tv is that they still use the same old tech as the analog used to, they just transmit the digital signal instead the analog , if you want to do OTA, then you will need to get an antenna, but do not get the cheapest one you can find, get the most expensive you can find, or even make your own,
                      You're right on this; get a directional external rooftop antenna if your living arrangement allows for it. Digital broadcasting is severely range limited in comparison to the old Analog system. In the old days, aside from UHF, I could get a near perfect (too strong, if anything) signal from the local stations, transmitters located ~ 5 mi. as the crow flies. On occasion, I could get staticy but watchable signals from nearby cities, ~60 mi. distant. This was using indoor rabbit ear type antennas.

Although I have cable, I also have it set up so I can watch OTA if wanted, there are some x.x channels that aren't on the cable system.
                      Nowdays, with analog, from the same location, I'm barely within range of the locals with an indoor amplified antenna, and there are times I can't get one or more of them. Granted, I'm in a slight valley, but 5 mi. from the transmitter towers and on the range limit is a joke.

Oh, and good luck finding a Radio Shack. Although most of their assembled products were crap, they were a reliable source of components and such. They just went though another bankruptcy last week, closing another 187 stores. There may not be any local to you anymore, mine closed a few years back.
                      Last edited by Annoyed; 12 March 2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        You're right on this; get a directional external rooftop antenna if your living arrangement allows for it. Digital broadcasting is severely range limited in comparison to the old Analog system. In the old days, aside from UHF, I could get a near perfect (too strong, if anything) signal from the local stations, transmitters located ~ 5 mi. as the crow flies. On occasion, I could get staticy but watchable signals from nearby cities, ~60 mi. distant. This was using indoor rabbit ear type antennas.

Although I have cable, I also have it set up so I can watch OTA if wanted, there are some x.x channels that aren't on the cable system.
                        Nowdays, with analog, from the same location, I'm barely within range of the locals with an indoor amplified antenna, and there are times I can't get one or more of them. Granted, I'm in a slight valley, but 5 mi. from the transmitter towers and on the range limit is a joke.

Oh, and good luck finding a Radio Shack. Although most of their assembled products were crap, they were a reliable source of components and such. They just went though another bankruptcy last week, closing another 187 stores. There may not be any local to you anymore, mine closed a few years back.
                        we went through a period of time in the early - mid 2000's where we couldn't afford cable at all so we could only do rabbit ears for local channels and that was it and one time we had a real bad thunderstorm that made everything all static-y, unwatchably so

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Anja did something right
                          I did??????

*offers Sunday leftovers*
                          CARPE DIEM
                          ANJA

Comment

And now it's wrong
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Perhaps she likes day old bacon??
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Bacon is always delicious
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X