Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks ~lg and Jumble.

~lg... didin't realize that they don't have the background options. I didn't utilize it, but I noticed that many people did. I always liked seeing your's.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
      Thanks ~lg and Jumble.

~lg... didin't realize that they don't have the background options. I didn't utilize it, but I noticed that many people did. I always liked seeing your's.
      I liked the backgrounds. Another thing that's missing from the new PB is the little thing that tells us KB size on our pics. That way those of us that thunk can do so without fear of being modded.

Comment

Looks good, Bailey!

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
        Sig & Avi by Josi
        sigpic
        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
        I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
          that's what they're hoping for Bay - to wear people down into acceptance. I WON'T GO QUIETLY!
          Indeed!

Never give up, never surrender!

*hits Nola with Grabthar's Hammer*

Comment

Hope everyone had a very happy and fun filled New Years Eve and the New Year is off to a wonderful start that will continue for the rest of the year!

Hyndara71: Thanks for filling me in on some of the history regard the art.

RodneyIsGodney: In the film, Daniel was very careful about not saying aliens during the lecture that got him laughed out although the heckled reply to the 4th dynasty not building the pyramids was "Men from Atlantis? Or Martians perhaps?"

You are right about it being in the show though. The sig quote was paraphrased by Bregman in his interview with Daniel in Heroes to which Daniel replied about them being "landing pads for Goa'uld motherships." So 'landing pads' did show up in the show, once in season 7 and twice in season 8.

And with the Kripke quote, you can at least take full credit for using is so well!

Glad you enjoyed "The One Ring." And of course, the play on words with the "other" one ring was part of my thoughts on it and luckily, that picture of a stargate ring came to my attention not long ago.

josiane: Happy you found The One Ring sig effective! And yeah, I am loving the inspiration here too.

ladygris: You may have heard this, but I just want to share a saying. (This is one of the two variants I know). "Once is an accident. Twice is a coincident. Three times is a conspiracy!"
            sigpic
            My stories at fanfiction.net or archiveofourown.org.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Karswyll View Post
              Hyndara71: Thanks for filling me in on some of the history regard the art.
              Whoops! Sorry. Sometimes I tend to morph into full fangirlie-mood and ignore the fact that nearly no one knows what I'm talking about ... *iz ashamed now*

Sig & Avi by Josi
              sigpic
              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

As from lg requested:
                How to make the Angel David-sig:

Spoiler:
                You need these pics/textures:

I'm using usually sig-size 600x150 pixels and use the double-size for making the sigs. So, the first is to create a layer size 1200x300 pixels.
                The first David as Scott-cap. Reduce the original size to 635x350 pixel. Copy/pasting the cap into the upcoming sig and erase the background until only Scott is visible:

Poor Scott doesn't have real shoulders or arms because there's the frame of the mirror and stupid Eli standing in front of him bad Eli!. So I had to play a trick about that. For this I used the second cap where is more of David/Scott is visible. Resize the pic to 1089x600 pixels and copy the right shoulder out of the cap into the upcoming sig:

Erase everything not needed and move the shoulder to the not visible right shoulder. Left shoulder the same, only it will be again the right shoulder. Copy pasting it into the sig again, Turn the shoulder-part and erase again everything not needed. Move the bodypart to the right place and Scott is able to use two arms again :

Next use contrast/light in the Color-menu: Light 10, Contrast 50.

Next is the sky-texture. Resize the texture to 1300 pixels wide, copy/paste it into the upcoming sig and move it until it's okay with you. Now you have to erase the sky around Scott/David:

Next the wings. Resize the pic to 1000 pixels high. One wing at the time is the rule . So, copy/paste one into the upcoming sig and erase everything that you don't need:

Menu Colors Light/Contrast: Light: 90 Contrast: 94.

Next are the lines. As I'm still not able to draw a straight line from hand I need a little help from Gimp. Use the select-tool to 1181x9 pixels. Now you need the brush-tool and select the color fc8613. But be carefull by using the brush not to paint the wings or the Mister you want to be an angel .
                Paint in this way a little frame.

Last part is the text. As I've heard a lot Robbie Williams the last month I choosed „I'm loving Angels instead“ from his song „Angels“. Font I used „Windsong“ in the size 94 first in black, then again in fc8613.
                Resize the sig into the size you want and … viola!

I hope it's understandable

Sig & Avi by Josi
                sigpic

Comment

Very cool sig and tut.

question - why not just put the wings on layers behind the figure instead of trying to erase unwanted bits? Also, to draw a straight line, just hold down SHFT while drawing the line - perfectly straight. Also, putting your lines on a layer behind the wings but in front of the sky will prevent any marking on the wings themselves.

I tend to look at things from a very logical/sequential (extremely left-brained) basis. What is behind what? from bottom - Sky, Line, Wings, Man, Text
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                    Sorry to hear about your headache {{hugs}}. I hope it's better now
                    It is now. Thank you.

Maybe, don't know *shrugs*. Right now I'm a little proud that I was the only one who had done two animated icons for the Grimm-SecretSanta we did (funny story how it came to that ... we decided to make a kind of Secret Santa because no one wanted to do challenges during December - and it was a lot of fun).
                    I want to be able to make those but I don't think it can be done in Gimp.

Well, before that it was JF and/or SGA. There's always an excuse .
                    For me it was DH and/or SGA. And, yep, you're right.

Uhm, there are some more than two episodes I fear. But it's a good start. You should watch 1.01 and 1.02, maybe 1.03, definetely 1.06 and 1.08. 1.13 is a key-episode (and still my favourite), then there's a little storyarc from 1.15 to 1.17 what finally lead to what season2 is about. A great fun-episode is 1.19 that's also start some pieces. 1.22 to 2.02, 2.03 (hehe, there you will see a SPN-actor , and there's also Sebastian Roche in season 1 in episode 1.18). 2.04, 2.06. And the current story starts at least in episode 2.08 with the affection of two main-characters and the return of an "old" enemy.
                    Noted.

Hank is Nick's partner at the precinct. I sorta liked him in season 1, well, at least he didn't disturbed "My Boyz" but in season2, after Nick tells him about his ability ... . One more time of "Did he/she change?" I will throw my laptop against the next wall *rolls eyes*
                    Ah.

Thanks
                    Welcome.

It's never fun but true, especially at Christmastime it's hard.
                    Yeah...

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                    Nice work Mane and Hyn

Hyn, you can switch back to the old version of PB - cllick the option on the top right, leave feedback and then opt for the old version. It may take several attempts to get it to accept it, but it does it in the end
                    I had to do that yesterday. And I only had to try once. I still have the glorious old version.

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                    I'm not Hyn, but I do have a question.....I tried that probably 30 times in a row, several times throughout the day, yesterday. No such luck.
                    Only took me on try. Don't know why some folks are having more trouble than others.

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
                    Happy New Year everyone! I do love this thread and the diversity of the art in here. It is inspiring in many cases and appreciated always. I haven't seemed to have a lot of time or inspiration for art lately, but am hoping that I have more of both in 2013.

I did find time to follow one of my favorite tut's from last year.... this one by Sarai

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...Liberoavi2.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...Liberosig1.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...Liberosig3.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...h_SSLibero.jpg
                    HAWAII FIVE-O!!! McGarrett Love it! I'm getting into this show now. Say, any chance you can share the name of the font you used for his name?

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                    I liked the backgrounds. Another thing that's missing from the new PB is the little thing that tells us KB size on our pics. That way those of us that thunk can do so without fear of being modded.
                    Where is that? I never knew about this...

Originally posted by A. Karswyll View Post
                    RodneyIsGodney: In the film, Daniel was very careful about not saying aliens during the lecture that got him laughed out although the heckled reply to the 4th dynasty not building the pyramids was "Men from Atlantis? Or Martians perhaps?"
                    Ah.

You are right about it being in the show though. The sig quote was paraphrased by Bregman in his interview with Daniel in Heroes to which Daniel replied about them being "landing pads for Goa'uld motherships." So 'landing pads' did show up in the show, once in season 7 and twice in season 8.
                    I knew it! Just couldn't remember what episode(s)/season(s).

And with the Kripke quote, you can at least take full credit for using is so well!
                    I can!

Glad you enjoyed "The One Ring." And of course, the play on words with the "other" one ring was part of my thoughts on it and luckily, that picture of a stargate ring came to my attention not long ago.
                    So glad it did.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME.

Comment

I don't quite understand why anyone feels like an outsider here - the whole point of creating this thread was to have a place where any art could be posted rather than sticking to a single fandom as is done on other threads. This way we get to see lots of different subjects and pick up tips and inspiration from people that we wood not normally come across unless we happen to follow the same fandom as they do - the variety on here is amazing!
                      I kinda feel like an outsider to you at times. I'm probably being silly.

I posted a response to this in another post and you, either didn't see it or ignored it (which I don't think is the case!)...or just plum forgot.

I've got a terrible memory so if I don't comment on someone's art/post it's because I have forgotten to. Story of my life. My tombstone is gonna say "I forgot". I really do have an absent mind.

There was a time when I was the only one on GW making MartinArt (and considered to be quite barmy by some ), but it didn't stop me posting my art and enjoying it. If others like it and pay me compliments - great! If they don't, so what? I've learned an enormous amount from everyone that posts here and consider you all to be my friends even if we do have vastly different preferences in fandom - it's the art and the camaraderie that matters
                      I have paid you compliments but ...I guess you haven't seen them. Like the last one. But that's okay. And I wood love to make MartinArt but I fear I don't have any good pictures of him. Nor can I find any. I too consider everyone here, you included, as my friends and I love coming here.

Jumble, since you didn't see this I'm gonna quote it so you can see it now.
                      Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                      I'm not ignoring your post jumble about "outsiders" I just...I have a headache so I cannot think deep right now. I will respond to it later if my headache recedes enough. Also, I wanna think on your post for a while. Think on what my response is gonna be.
                      What I said here was true. I really did have a headache. I wanted to respond but it's kinda hard to think when your head hurts after working a 6 hour shift with a head cold.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME.

Comment

I want to be able to make those but I don't think it can be done in Gimp.
                        Sure you can with Gimp!

Sig & Avi by Josi
                        sigpic

Comment

Who uses which programme?
                          Jumble - PS CS3
                          Josiane - PS CS5
                          Bailey - Gimp
                          Estrela - PS CS3
                          Hyn - Gimp (art), Photo Commander (gifs)
                          Sarai - PS CS3
                          Madness reigns - GIMP
                          DeliRicia - PS CS?
                          ladygris - Gimp
                          Stargate78fan - Photoshop 8
                          Syfyfan - PS CS5
                          Nolamom - PS CS5
                          Scifan - Gimp
                          yamiinsane - PS CS3
                          Maneth - PS CS2
                          Rocket - GIMP
                          ShaViva - Gimp
                          XFchemist - PS CS4
                          Graceful Spirit - PSP X2 and PSE 7 (on occasion)
                          bandcat PSP X2/X4
                          Blacky Kitten - PS CS5
                          I'm not even on your list here. ...outsider.

Sure you can with Gimp!
                          I can? Really?
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Very cool sig and tut.

question - why not just put the wings on layers behind the figure instead of trying to erase unwanted bits? Also, to draw a straight line, just hold down SHFT while drawing the line - perfectly straight. Also, putting your lines on a layer behind the wings but in front of the sky will prevent any marking on the wings themselves.

I tend to look at things from a very logical/sequential (extremely left-brained) basis. What is behind what? from bottom - Sky, Line, Wings, Man, Text
                            With Gimp I've learned to ignore my left brain, sorry . I tried that sig several times before I had a result I could live with. Maybe I'm too blond, don't know, but I barely work with different layers. About lines, I think I pointed out that I simply don't know how to draw a straight line with Gimp. That's the reason why I still have my old, not so good "Ashampo Pictures" on my laptop - okay, one of the reasons.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                            sigpic

Comment

I can? Really?
                              I made an animated icon with Gimp a while ago, usually I use another program for gifs but I found a Tut somewhere and had to try it out ... will look after that and post the link here. Okay?

Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic

Comment

I made an animated icon with Gimp a while ago, usually I use another program for gifs but I found a Tut somewhere and had to try it out ... will look after that and post the link here. Okay?
                                Sounds good. Thank you.
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME.

Comment

Working...
                                X