No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RiG, I would go ahead and try the tut for composition. As far as the coloring is concerned, go your own way. That's what I do. I'll give the tut writer's coloring a try, and then go back and tweak it.

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post
    Gorgeous, Gorgeous arts everyone!! lg: May I ask where you got the extra textures from? They look awesome!
    Thank you. The flowers is an orchid that I found on dA and used on Soft Light. I just erased and duplicated until I had flowers where I wanted them.

The other one is a phone wallie I had for my Droid, and I just threw it in there, set it to Soft Light, and desaturated to use in place of the circles.

The story this is for is a very personal one as it outlines a lot of my last few months. It is the sequel to my previous MI:4 story, The Beach House, and there are a lot of hard questions the characters have to face after a very, very scary diagnosis. So, I was going for that cathedral-like look, as well as the thoughtfulness. The flowers and feminine writing signify the original female character (OFC) in the story since, even though I have stock images that look like her, I can never seem to get her to work in art. I used Jellyka BeesAntique Handwriting for the fonts, and the quote comes from the song "As Long As You're Mine," and I found it on a texture that I copied in a new font for the look.

Comment

Thank you lg

Thanks M! I do except virtual green if the locker is closed.

Here is something that I made this morning, it's my attempt at a blend but I don't think I did that word justice...

sigpic
      Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Thank you lg

Here is something that I made this morning, it's my attempt at a blend but I don't think I did that word justice...

[http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j439/yamiinsane/th_joan-watson-6754-yami.jpg
        Funny, I was considering doing Elementary art. Great minds....And Lucy Liu!

You totally did the word justice. Be sure of that.
        sigpic
        Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
        Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

i'm not a fan of lucy liu as joan.... idk... i mean i was soo excited for Elementary when i first saw the preview, but a female Dr. Watson just doesn't jive with me.... i remember in an interview lucy said the reason they casted watson as female was to explore the ust b/t them and i sat there thinking "only in 'Murica.... Moffat's doing a spectacular job across the pond in that respect, and both his watson and holmes are still male"
          I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
            i'm not a fan of lucy liu as joan.... idk... i mean i was soo excited for Elementary when i first saw the preview, but a female Dr. Watson just doesn't jive with me.... i remember in an interview lucy said the reason they casted watson as female was to explore the ust b/t them and i sat there thinking "only in 'Murica.... Moffat's doing a spectacular job across the pond in that respect, and both his watson and holmes are still male"
            OT about Elementary
            Spoiler:
            Uhm, I, as you, prefer the Steven Moffat version. The first approach to a Sherlock series was to openly make a version of Sherlock but somewhere along the way it "morphed" into an "original series. Yeah, right! Elementary is not as dynamic or innovative as Moffat's version, but gradually it grew on me. And so did Lucy. And I love Jonny Lee Miller.
            sigpic

Comment

*has had 68 DeviantArt page views so far today*

Yesterday I only had 9..

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                RiG, I would go ahead and try the tut for composition. As far as the coloring is concerned, go your own way. That's what I do. I'll give the tut writer's coloring a try, and then go back and tweak it.
                I'm gonna get on that ASAP so don't you worry. And thanks for the good advice.

Thank you lg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...-6754-yami.jpg
                WOW! I do believe you did that word more justice than I ever could!!! You also have quite the way with font/text! *is jealous*
                sigpic
                Sig by ME.

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
                  OT about Elementary
                  Spoiler:
                  Uhm, I, as you, prefer the Steven Moffat version. The first approach to a Sherlock series was to openly make a version of Sherlock but somewhere along the way it "morphed" into an "original series. Yeah, right! Elementary is not as dynamic or innovative as Moffat's version, but gradually it grew on me. And so did Lucy. And I love Jonny Lee Miller.
                  oh yea! love the show, just not crazy about lucy.... but i try not to let it bother me too much ^^
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you JW and RIG! I really thought I failed, glad to see that others think that I did not

Re Lucy Liu: I actually like her as Joan Watson but then again I have never watched the BBC version though I have been thinking about it (Just don't know when it comes on)
                    sigpic
                    Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Thank you JW and RIG! I really thought I failed, glad to see that others think that I did not

Re Lucy Liu: I actually like her as Joan Watson but then again I have never watched the BBC version though I have been thinking about it (Just don't know when it comes on)
                      uh... s3 is supposed to be returning in nov/dec i think.... i'm not sure there's an airing date yet, but they;ve been filming it all this year.... the problem with BBC's Sherlock is that every season is comprised of three 90 min episodes.... and then you're on hiatus for two years.... if you do get into it, do it soon.... actually no, it' won't matter when you get into it, i'll still hate you for not having to wait as long as i do/did for an explination on how Sherlock survived.....

truth be told, i'm a huge Holmesian.... have been since i was like six x3 so i've seen quite a few different versions, read the books, watched the movies.... i do like the idea of Dr. Joan Watson, but i think for me, it was the casting that fell flat.... not that i have anyone in mind for the role, but lucy just doesn't do it for me....
                      sigpic

Comment

Awww, that's great! David Tennant. It's very dynamic and better than mine. Kudos! I love it!

I'm so gonna try it. I'm a bot nervous about the colouring but we'll see.
                        I'm not a fan of selective colouring unless I have to tone down a colour in some piece. So, I'm with yamii on this one. To be honest, many times I prefer to follow tuts made for GIMP, exactly because they don't rely on this feature as much.

Having said that, this is my version of rocket Scientist tutorial, where I cheated and used selective colour to remove the magenta on my poor waterboarded fellow...

I tried to follow RS tut as much as I could but my first curve layer had to be changed and I had to remove the *magenta. Different bases...

Fair warning, I was a huge fan of Strike Back (series 1), when it loosely followed the Chris Ryan's *books and it had decent actors such as my current muse, Jodhi May, Orla Brady, and Andrew Lincoln ( Sherrif Rick from The Walking Dead). From series 2 on it became unwatchable (IMO!).

And this is my blah version of Ikorni's tut. Whereas the original was a gorgeous sight, rich with lovely details, mine is this blah milky thing...Apologies to Ikorni. I tried *

Oh, quite the contrary! I love yours - the subtlety in the coloring is something I keep trying to achieve, but I always end up making my colors bold and bright.
                        I think you did a great job with that tut. I know the coloring is hard; I kept changing little things over and over until I got something I liked, so I'm not even convinced the coloring in my tut is the same as what I actually did. Should be close, at least....

Originally posted by FlyBoyFanGirl View Post
                        Thanks, Rocket Scientist. And none of it makes sense to me.

But that's not your fault.
                        If you want me to try to explain anything, I'll give it a shot...

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
                        It's beautiful, RiG. However, when I tried to do the tut, my computer wouldn't open some of the images.

Either way, decided on another version of yami's gorgeous tut.

Gorgeous!

Thank you lg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...-6754-yami.jpg
                        I think it looks great.
                        sigpic
                        Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

My try at Yamiinsane's tut. I just duplicated a lot more of the stocks to get a fuller effect.

Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
                            uh... s3 is supposed to be returning in nov/dec i think.... i'm not sure there's an airing date yet, but they;ve been filming it all this year.... the problem with BBC's Sherlock is that every season is comprised of three 90 min episodes.... and then you're on hiatus for two years.... if you do get into it, do it soon.... actually no, it' won't matter when you get into it, i'll still hate you for not having to wait as long as i do/did for an explination on how Sherlock survived.....

truth be told, i'm a huge Holmesian.... have been since i was like six x3 so i've seen quite a few different versions, read the books, watched the movies.... i do like the idea of Dr. Joan Watson, but i think for me, it was the casting that fell flat.... not that i have anyone in mind for the role, but lucy just doesn't do it for me....
                            I read the books when I was about 11, 12, not quite so soon as Lilith but they still made a strong impression on me. I thrills me to recognize names and incidents (Stapleton, Moran etc...) that probably people who don't know the original won't get the references. Having said that, yamii, the Moffat's version is better ( just consider he's the producer of Doctor Who...) and very inspiring.

Originally posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
                            Oh, quite the contrary! I love yours - the subtlety in the coloring is something I keep trying to achieve, but I always end up making my colors bold and bright.
                            I think you did a great job with that tut. I know the coloring is hard; I kept changing little things over and over until I got something I liked, so I'm not even convinced the coloring in my tut is the same as what I actually did. Should be close, at least....
                            I wanted your strong colours...as my base was a darkish photo on the left and a sepia colour on the right (And another in the middle) I had to be stuck with a happy middle . But gorgeous, gorgeous tut!

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                            My try at Yamiinsane's tut. I just duplicated a lot more of the stocks to get a fuller effect.

[http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg503/Ikorni/Others/th_SK_zps10cf149b.jpg
                            Lovely take on yamii's tut. I really like your choices.

@RiG i've been studying your tut .... I just should get a life.
                            sigpic

Comment

3 90 min long episodes... per season... No wonder I could never find it!

Ikorni: That is completely gorgeous!!!! Love how you changed it up!
                              sigpic
                              Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Ikorni: That is completely gorgeous!!!! Love how you changed it up!

Lovely take on yamii's tut. I really like your choices.

@RiG i've been studying your tut .... I just should get a life.
                                Thanks, both of you. Hey, it was a great tut to start with!
                                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X