This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Canadian GWers: stand up to warrantless government spying

I don't know how many of you are aware, but there is currently legislation on the table which will effectively allow the government to spy on our internet usage with impunity. I quote from OpenMedia:

Stop Online Spying!

The government is trying to push through an anti-Internet set of electronic surveillance laws that will invade your privacy and cost you money. They’re calling it "Lawful" Access -- we're calling it warrantless, invasive, costly, and poorly thought out.

The plan is to force every phone and Internet provider to surrender our personal information to "authorities" without a warrant.

This bizarre legislation will create Internet surveillance that is:
    • Warrantless: If these bills pass, we're looking at a future where a range of “authorities” will have the ability to invade the private lives of law-abiding Canadians and our families using wired Internet and mobile devices, without any justification.
    • Invasive: This is a radical break from existing safeguards and leaves our personal and financial information less secure and more susceptible to cybercrime. Who will ensure that our personal information is not misused or stolen?
    • Costly: Internet services providers will be forced to install millions of dollars of spying technology and the cost will be passed down to YOU.

Besides all this, the bills are poorly written, use vague terms, and provide dangerously unchecked powers to government. In fact, every single provincial privacy commissioner has stepped up to criticize them.

If enough of us speak out now the government will have no choice but to stop this mandatory online spying scheme.

I hope you'll all take heed and stand up to this nonsense. In the two days that this form has been online/emailing public officials, nearly 35,000 complaints have been sent. But the more the better--legislation like this can't be allowed to pass.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Keep on sticking it to the man Digi

Comment

Don't you just love having a Majority government?
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

it seems that no one, anywhere can get away from this

sad part is, even if, for some magical reason it gets defeated, Canada will return to its previous method and get the exact same info, just filtered through the US intelligence agencies, which is how it worked before to get around spying domestically. We do the same for them.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Freedom is not a word the developed nations of this world know the meaning of anymore. Something as simple as the idea of the internet, the opportunities and assistance it gives so many needs to be monitored, filtered, spied upon, records kept, limited (don't EVEN get me started on this bandwidth limitation and overage fee BS) basically freedom taken away.

If our country (while reading my next point keep in mind that I absolutely love this country and wouldn't live anywhere else) ...but if our country wasn't such a pushover and actually stood up for something like this (something I've tried to do for a while) and took initiative instead of sitting around a bar saying "Well, what can ya do!" then we might have some rights as human beings. Unfortunately I have to compliment the US here and say that when it comes to the government pressing the limits of freedom, Americans will fight against it. Meanwhile up here in Canada no one does anything so we keep getting trampled on.

Issues like this infuriate me to no end. I've often been told to pursue a career in politics but honestly don't think I could bring myself to do it without punching people in the face every chance I got.

Speaking of legislation...this back to work stuff for Canada Post? WHEWEEEE what a load of crap that is. "Hi I'm the government. I want you to think you have the ability to protect your rights as a worker but when you do something I don't agree with I'll make it the law that you have to work for lesser funds than either of us would have agreed upon at a prior date. Have a nice day." (But let's not get into that, that requires a whole new thread )

RAAAAAAGE!
          sigpic
          Originally posted by dacooker
          The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

here in America Obama keeps trying to push an "internet kill switch" too....and I'm worried that he'll do it by executive fiat if he has a chance to....the President's power to make executive orders ought to be severely limited if not eliminated altogether

Comment

I remember reading an article where some ex-CIA said something like this about torture and the legalization of it: basically it came down to this, do you want one of our guys in the room or not?

Same could be applied here, it's going to happen regardless, it's just a matter of public acknowledgment of it. Sorta what evilgrin said.

Comment

Working...
              X