This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My afternoon with the MTO

That's Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. DMV, for you yanks. Anyway.

A few months back, when I moved out to BC, I needed to get my drivers' license changed from an Ontario one to one out there with my new address on it. Being an Ontario native with nothing but bad experiences with the MTO, I figured it would be a disaster and set aside the better part of an afternoon for the trip. Imagine my surprise when I was in and out in under 20 minutes, and unless my ability to read people went totally off for that afternoon, even had the girl behind the counter flirt with me a bit. Fast forward 9 months and I'm back here in Ontario--again, needing to get my license changed to reflect my new (old) address.

God, what a clusterfark of an experience.

First, I go to the place on Brant. It's almost brand new; new facilities, equipment, yadda yadda. I see that the number they're calling for is in the teens, and the next number on the roll of tags is 50something. So I start to wander outside to decide if I'm going to bother. On my way out I see that there's a sign on the wall with other locations, and the one down on Fairview does both "vehicle and license services." Awesome!

So I drive down there, walk in, and see a line. Not a big deal, I think to myself, a line is better than number calling. And I wait in line....for half an hour, watching the fat, grumpy old witches behind the counter giving everyone and their dog a hard time. Finally my turn comes and....wait for it....they tell me I need to go do my license change at the Brant location. Their "license services" apparently doesn't cover having to change your license, and nowhere in sight is there anybody who might've been asked about this without having to wait in line.

Thoroughly annoyed, I drive BACK to the Brant office (which is actually only labeled as a drive test facility) and walk in. In the time that I was gone, the number being called for had only crept up into the 20s. I go to grab a ticket--75. Sigh.

Some kind older guy had the decency to suggest that I should go for lunch while I wait. He told me that he'd come in earlier, taken a number, gone back to his office to do some paperwork, and then returned and they STILL hadn't gotten to his number. I took his advice and walked over to Williams. Got myself a (very disappointing) turkey swiss sandwich and a coffee cake, and sat and enjoyed both.

I finally walk back over to the MTO to see how far they are, only to find that they'd only made it to mid-30s. So I sat and waited. And waited. And waited some more. After I'd been waiting for over an hour, and they'd only gotten up to 48, I'd had enough. Gave my number to some dude who'd come in later than me and walked out.

Canadian postal workers are going on strike and it'll STILL probably be faster to try to get my license changed by mail. Frak you, MTO. Frak you very, very much.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

So you left BC?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      So you left BC?
      Not according to his driving licence he hasn't!

( *cough* too soon? )
      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Where I'm from its Secetary of State not Department of Motor Vechiles
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

A few months back, when I moved out to BC, I needed to get my drivers' license changed from an Ontario one to one out there with my new address on it. Being an Ontario native with nothing but bad experiences with the MTO, I figured it would be a disaster and set aside the better part of an afternoon for the trip. Imagine my surprise when I was in and out in under 20 minutes, and unless my ability to read people went totally off for that afternoon, even had the girl behind the counter flirt with me a bit. Fast forward 9 months and I'm back here in Ontario--again, needing to get my license changed to reflect my new (old) address.

First, I go to the place on Brant. It's almost brand new; new facilities, equipment, yadda yadda. I see that the number they're calling for is in the teens, and the next number on the roll of tags is 50something. So I start to wander outside to decide if I'm going to bother. On my way out I see that there's a sign on the wall with other locations, and the one down on Fairview does both "vehicle and license services." Awesome!

So I drive down there, walk in, and see a line. Not a big deal, I think to myself, a line is better than number calling. And I wait in line....for half an hour, watching the fat, grumpy old witches behind the counter giving everyone and their dog a hard time. Finally my turn comes and....wait for it....they tell me I need to go do my license change at the Brant location. Their "license services" apparently doesn't cover having to change your license, and nowhere in sight is there anybody who might've been asked about this without having to wait in line.

Thoroughly annoyed, I drive BACK to the Brant office (which is actually only labeled as a drive test facility) and walk in. In the time that I was gone, the number being called for had only crept up into the 20s. I go to grab a ticket--75. Sigh.

Some kind older guy had the decency to suggest that I should go for lunch while I wait. He told me that he'd come in earlier, taken a number, gone back to his office to do some paperwork, and then returned and they STILL hadn't gotten to his number. I took his advice and walked over to Williams. Got myself a (very disappointing) turkey swiss sandwich and a coffee cake, and sat and enjoyed both.

I finally walk back over to the MTO to see how far they are, only to find that they'd only made it to mid-30s. So I sat and waited. And waited. And waited some more. After I'd been waiting for over an hour, and they'd only gotten up to 48, I'd had enough. Gave my number to some dude who'd come in later than me and walked out.

Canadian postal workers are going on strike and it'll STILL probably be faster to try to get my license changed by mail. Frak you, MTO. Frak you very, very much.
          It's amazing to me how they effectively put those grumpy old witches behind the counter. Then again, being behind the counter is probably what made them grumpy in the first place.

The DMV here has gotten a little better over the years. A 45-minute wait is now usually a 20-minute wait though you'll still get the grumpiness from certain people. What's really funny to me is that the moment they find out I work for this gov't branch or another, they get really nice and all of a sudden my position in the line moves up very quickly.
          sigpic

Comment

At the BMV in Ohio, I've had hour-long waits and waits of less than ten minutes. It seems to depend which branch I'm at and what I'm there for. Which reminds me, I need to check and see if this is the year I have to renew my driver's license, because if so, I'll need to do it before I go on vacation, since I intend to be on vacation on my birthday and the week prior.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              It's amazing to me how they effectively put those grumpy old witches behind the counter. Then again, being behind the counter is probably what made them grumpy in the first place.
              One of the things that really rubbed me the wrong way was that, at the Fairview branch (the one where I waited in line half an hour), they kept leaving to go on lunch! One after another they all threw up their 'desk closed' sign and left. At one point, there were only three desks open, serving a line that ran out the door! In pretty much every other service industry out there, they bring MORE people out and ask MORE people to keep working when it's busy

Oh, and one other thing that I forgot.... I found a comment card at the Brant one on which I planned to ***** about the wait, only to realize that there were no pens with which to write *facepalms*
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Bureaucracy at its finest. You can check medical symptoms online, do banking online, buy food online yet governments refuse to go online.

Might I suggest a worldwide strike in not using government service until they get it together.

Comment

I'm so glad i don't drive so many hasslies
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Next time wear a black trench and some BDUs. If you can, skip shaving the day before. Everyone will look at you funny but the line will start moving!
                    Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

and I thought this would only happen in Italy ....
                      Grimm returns October 24
                      sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
                      Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

Working...
                      X