The GateWorld Cantina MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
    this feels weird ...but I feel like I have to say.... everyone likes PH .... resistance is futile ....
    I have to say.....Positron emission tomography (PET) is a nuclear medicine imaging technique that produces a three-dimensional image or picture of functional processes in the body. The system detects pairs of gamma rays emitted indirectly by a positron-emitting radionuclide (tracer), which is introduced into the body on a biologically active molecule. Three-dimensional images of tracer concentration within the body are then constructed by computer analysis. In modern scanners, three dimensional imaging is often accomplished with the aid of a CT X-ray scan performed on the patient during the same session, in the same machine.

If the biologically active molecule chosen for PET is FDG, an analogue of glucose, the concentrations of tracer imaged then give tissue metabolic activity, in terms of regional glucose uptake. Use of this tracer to explore the possibility of cancer metastasis (i.e., spreading to other sites) results in the most common type of PET scan in standard medical care (90% of current scans). However, on a minority basis, many other radiotracers are used in PET to image the tissue concentration of many other types of molecules of interest.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I have to say.....Positron emission tomography (PET) is a nuclear medicine imaging technique that produces a three-dimensional image or picture of functional processes in the body. The system detects pairs of gamma rays emitted indirectly by a positron-emitting radionuclide (tracer), which is introduced into the body on a biologically active molecule. Three-dimensional images of tracer concentration within the body are then constructed by computer analysis. In modern scanners, three dimensional imaging is often accomplished with the aid of a CT X-ray scan performed on the patient during the same session, in the same machine.

If the biologically active molecule chosen for PET is FDG, an analogue of glucose, the concentrations of tracer imaged then give tissue metabolic activity, in terms of regional glucose uptake. Use of this tracer to explore the possibility of cancer metastasis (i.e., spreading to other sites) results in the most common type of PET scan in standard medical care (90% of current scans). However, on a minority basis, many other radiotracers are used in PET to image the tissue concentration of many other types of molecules of interest.
      Quite fascinating.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

.....Ok then *third brain cell implodes* Great now I'm back down to two again
        Originally posted by jelgate
        This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Well, one way or another .......somebody might want to knock boots? LOL
          Posting at.............
          http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

.....Ok then *third brain cell implodes* Great now I'm back down to two again
            Then we will continue

Technetium-99m is a metastable nuclear isomer of technetium-99, symbolized as 99mTc, that is used in tens of millions of medical diagnostic procedures annually, making it the most commonly-used medical radioisotope.

Technetium-99m when used as a radioactive tracer can be detected in the body by medical equipment (gamma cameras). It is well suited to the role because it emits readily detectable 140 keV gamma rays (these are about the same wavelength as emitted by conventional X-ray diagnostic equipment), and its half-life for gamma emission is 6.0058 hours (meaning 93.7% of it decays to 99Tc in 24 hours). The "short" physical half-life of the isotope and its biological half-life of 1 day (in terms of human activity and metabolism) allows for scanning procedures which collect data rapidly, but keep total patient radiation exposure low. The same characteristics make the isotope suitable only for diagnostic but never therapeutic use.

Technetium-99m was discovered in 1938 as a product of cyclotron bombardment of molybdenum. This procedure produced molybdenum-99, a radionuclide with a longer half-life (2.75 days), which decays to Tc-99m. At present, molybdenum-99 (Mo-99) is used commercially as the easily-transportable source of medically used Tc-99m. In turn, this Mo-99 is usually created commercially by fission of highly enriched uranium in aging research and material testing nuclear reactors in several countries.
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Then we will continue

Technetium-99m is a metastable nuclear isomer of technetium-99, symbolized as 99mTc, that is used in tens of millions of medical diagnostic procedures annually, making it the most commonly-used medical radioisotope.

Technetium-99m when used as a radioactive tracer can be detected in the body by medical equipment (gamma cameras). It is well suited to the role because it emits readily detectable 140 keV gamma rays (these are about the same wavelength as emitted by conventional X-ray diagnostic equipment), and its half-life for gamma emission is 6.0058 hours (meaning 93.7% of it decays to 99Tc in 24 hours). The "short" physical half-life of the isotope and its biological half-life of 1 day (in terms of human activity and metabolism) allows for scanning procedures which collect data rapidly, but keep total patient radiation exposure low. The same characteristics make the isotope suitable only for diagnostic but never therapeutic use.

Technetium-99m was discovered in 1938 as a product of cyclotron bombardment of molybdenum. This procedure produced molybdenum-99, a radionuclide with a longer half-life (2.75 days), which decays to Tc-99m. At present, molybdenum-99 (Mo-99) is used commercially as the easily-transportable source of medically used Tc-99m. In turn, this Mo-99 is usually created commercially by fission of highly enriched uranium in aging research and material testing nuclear reactors in several countries.
              *adds artwork in the margins* There all better

Comment

You could have at least used art to diagram the photoelectric effect
                Jelgate is right

Comment

*shoots Jel wih Force lightning*

There ya go

Still, I am wondering why you felt the need to regurgitate all these medical related scientific factoids to us.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You could have at least used art to diagram the photoelectric effect
                    maybe I did

Comment

maybe I did
                      You didn't. I would know
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Jel is a such a Smarty man...........I am so impressed.
                        Posting at.............

Comment

Its easy to impress women. They know so little
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I know much Baby, just not in the same field.
                            Posting at.............

Comment

Originally posted by Graybrew1 View Post
                              I know much Baby, just not in the same field.
                              Correct. *points to Gray's brains, spread across the Cantina field* Fertilizer is very important at this stage.

I'll have to talk to PH to see what we're growing.
                              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Its easy to impress women. They know so little
                                Silicon diodes with breakdown voltages greater than approximately 5.6 V enter breakdown through a mechanism called avalanche breakdown. As the width of the depletion layer increases under reverse bias, the electric field increases, as indicated in Fig. 3.13. Free carriers in the depletion region are accelerated by this electric field, and as the carriers move through the depletion region, they collide with the fixed atoms. At some point, the electric field and the width of the space charge region become large enough that some carriers gain energy sufficient to break covalent bonds upon impact, thereby creating electron-hole pairs. The new carriers created can also accelerate and create additional electron-hole pairs through this impact-ionization process.
                                Microelectronic Circuit Design, 4th ed. (Blalock, Jaeger)

*nyah*
                                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                                X