The GateWorld Cantina MKII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
    Foley, I am studying to be an engineer. I have a 4.0 GPA and very high recommendations from professors in chemistry, engineering, and advanced math, so you know I'm no slouch when I say that This. Stuff. Is. Hard. You can't learn it just anywhere. I don't know what I can do to convince you of this. Universities are crucial!
    Not saying they aren't, and not saying it isn't.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
    An internship with official institutions.
    McDonalds, KFYI, Fox News, hell Joe's plumbing and roofing shop.

Comment

Also, I rather doubt that the Large Hadron Collider was built by physicists with high school degrees.
      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
        Not saying they aren't, and not saying it isn't.
        ....then what are you saying?
        || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Foley, I am studying to be an engineer. I have a 4.0 GPA and very high recommendations from professors in chemistry, engineering, and advanced math, so you know I'm no slouch when I say that This. Stuff. Is. Hard. You can't learn it just anywhere. I don't know what I can do to convince you of this. Universities are crucial!
          Then you know the dangers of dihydrogen monooxide
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

We have had them in this country for nearly 1000 years, its time for something new. I will give out qualifications in exchange for various favours.

McDonalds, KFYI, Fox News, hell Joe's plumbing and roofing shop.
            I know not of this joe.
            sigpic

Comment

Also, I rather doubt that the Large Hadron Collider was built by physicists with high school degrees.
              Yes it was. I made the heating syste,
              Jelgate is right

Comment

The competition is so high right now for some jobs, that people with degrees are fighting over middle management jobs at fast food. People with no degrees don't even stand half a chance.

Why college? Do you want to be able to eat?
                Posting at.............
                http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

....then what are you saying?
                  I am saying that the system is corrupt and it stinks and that there are millions of people who probably have no buisness being within ten miles of an institution of higher learning. And that a lot...though by no means all...the benefits from college can be done out in other areas, mainly through living life, for cheaply and without putting a burden on the rest of society. Yes it is important, yes you can chose to go there if you want, no I do not dispute that it is a great way to potentially learn a lot of things about the world and then maybe move on for a career one day. But its not the only way and the way we are doing it now is improper in the extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                    We have had them in this country for nearly 1000 years, its time for something new. I will give out qualifications in exchange for various favours.

I know not of this joe.
                    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
                    Originally posted by Graybrew1 View Post
                    The competition is so high right now for some jobs, that people with degrees are fighting over middle management jobs at fast food. People with no degrees don't even stand half a chance.

Why college? Do you want to be able to eat?
                    I am eating just fine thank you. So is Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Gates, and a lot of other people who go to college for a certain degree only to find it worthless so they go ahead and write.

Comment

I am saying that the system is corrupt and it stinks and that there are millions of people who probably have no buisness being within ten miles of an institution of higher learning. And that a lot...though by no means all...the benefits from college can be done out in other areas, mainly through living life, for cheaply and without putting a burden on the rest of society. Yes it is important, yes you can chose to go there if you want, no I do not dispute that it is a great way to potentially learn a lot of things about the world and then maybe move on for a career one day. But its not the only way and the way we are doing it now is improper in the extreme.
                      For some educations, yes. Definitely not for all of them. The people who can't handle college won't be able to graduate; if they do, it will be from a university that already has or will soon have a reputation for poor education. Personally, I've very grateful for the people who have decided to donate money toward scholarships and grants--without them, I either wouldn't be able to go to school or it would be extremely difficult.

If you have a problem with the state and national financial aid programs (which it sounds like you do), then that's a different matter entirely. Just please don't knock college.
                      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I am eating just fine thank you. So is Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Gates, and a lot of other people who go to college for a certain degree only to find it worthless so they go ahead and write.
                        The first two don't need a college degree for what they do, though it certainly helps. Bill Gates is a member of that very small percent of the population I was referring to earlier who don't need a college degree to advance their field.
                        || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

those who can succeed without a university degree can be counted on the fingers of your two hands I dare say, maybe one hand...and i do mean succeed, not just get by
                          sigpic

Comment

For some educations, yes. Definitely not for all of them. The people who can't handle college won't be able to graduate; if they do, it will be from a university that already has or will soon have a reputation for poor education. Personally, I've very grateful for the people who have decided to donate money toward scholarships and grants--without them, I either wouldn't be able to go to school or it would be extremely difficult.

If you have a problem with the state and national financial aid programs (which it sounds like you do), then that's a different matter entirely. Just please don't knock college.
                            Why not? Its my opinion and I am entitled to it certainly and I can and must have one. By and large my personal college experience has been surprisingly positive so yes I have proven that it can be a benefit. But my larger concerns are still quite valid about the entire system and especially who is funding it and should they be funding it in the first place. And I was not talking about those who can't handle college my main concern is and always has been financial. there are millions of people capable and more then able of 'handling' college that I don't think should be going either.

As for the charity debate yes as long as its charity I ahve no problem with it, and as long as the grants do come from private sources. But it seems we are heading in the direction away from it and more Government control when they already have a program that shouldn't exisist (FAFSA), and furthermore at least for my college experience you had to go and get a FAFSA and fill one out no matter where you were getting the money. Unless of course you are able to completly fund it on your own independently. But that means that even the 'charitable contributions' the charities and grants are from tainted sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              those who can succeed without a university degree can be counted on the fingers of your two hands I dare say, maybe one hand...and i do mean succeed, not just get by
                              So, Ukko and four others.

If i kill them, do i become king?
                              sigpic

Comment

Different times different people. My parents didn't need a degree for thier jobs but those easy days are over
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X