This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
    Awesome, I wish mine had a heart rate monitor!

We obviously live in very different climates
    I am addicted to my HR monitor gagdet. It is about 40F out there and raining steadily. boo! Sadly enough I prefer to run in snow, you stay so much drier.
    sigpic

Comment

< is very sore today
      sigpic

Comment

Went to Foot Locker Sunday, bought a pair of Nike Free Run shoes (size 12) and hit the road at 5:30 AM this morning. First mile was 11 minutes 50 seconds, but I walked and ran after that. I have a lot of work today before I can call myself a runner again!
        Good for you bro. We all have to start somewhere right? When I first started running again after a long period without running, my mile times were always around the same time as yours. After getting back into things though, I usually averaged between 8.5-9 minutes. Just give yourself some time and you'll probably be able to get 7-8 minute miles before long.
        sigpic

Comment

Up for another run at 5:20 this morning, I was still a little sore but pushed through it.

2.71 miles total, 11'43" overall pace with a 10'36" mile somewhere in there. I wish I had time to drive to one of the 3-4 running trails in town, but that would add at least 20 minutes to my already early morning so I'll stick with running near the house for now.
          sigpic

Comment

I had a lovely run in the sun yesterday, so much nicer than the mile I did in the stupid cold rain.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi All! I thought I'd stop by this thread as I'm a bit of a fitness geek. I'm tend to do more interval work than longer distance stuff and after a break over the last couple of months I'm going to start getting back into cardio stuff again. I'm prefer weight lifting, but need to work on my conditioning to help with my martial arts training. I'm also going to be working away from home for the next 6-8 weeks so will be limited to running and bodyweight stuff.

I have a pair of Nike Free Everydays that I will be breaking in once I start training (I really want a pair of Vibram Five Fingers but can't afford them at the moment).

A word of advice to anyone going down the minimalist shoe route - ease into using them, rather than just swapping your old padded trainers for them. Most people who suffer problems with minimalist shoes do so because they don't build up there use gradually and allow time for their foot and leg muscle to adapt to the new stresses and strains.
              The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

I bloody love running. There's nothing like the feeling you get after a good long outdoors run.

My best mile and a half time on grass is currently 9mins 15 seconds. I like to go on runs between 4 and 8 miles. Anything less just feels like a run round the block, as it were. One of these days I'll find time to do a marathon or at least a half martathon.

I will admit, I'm not much of a sprinter though, long distance is definitely more my thing!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the thread FOB, sounds like you're in really good shape.

Today's run was a little better than the 2 last week, I ran a mile in 10'02" so that is an improvement. I think on my next run I'm going to slow it down and try to get 2 miles without stopping, we'll see.
                  sigpic

Comment

I ran yesterday and my legs were so dead they never did get with the program. 3 miles and started on the big hill. All the stupid Sunday drivers were out, so annoying. I keep hope we drop off the best drive list altogether. My road was third last year. *crosses fingers*
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                      I ran yesterday and my legs were so dead they never did get with the program. 3 miles and started on the big hill. All the stupid Sunday drivers were out, so annoying. I keep hope we drop off the best drive list altogether. My road was third last year. *crosses fingers*
                      Ouch, that does stink. Luckily the "Semi-main" road I do part of my running on has a bike lane on both sides. Today I ran on my lunch break at the Dam near my work, it was beautiful land cool.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ouch, that does stink. Luckily the "Semi-main" road I do part of my running on has a bike lane on both sides. Today I ran on my lunch break at the Dam near my work, it was beautiful land cool.
                        We don't have lanes. Rural dirt road.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          We don't have lanes. Rural dirt road.
                          Woops At least it's good on the joints!
                          sigpic

Comment

Woops At least it's good on the joints!
                            Speaking of joints... I've bloody gone and done my knee in mountaineering last week, and I've got a bloody RAF Fitness Test on Monday. NOT HAPPY!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              Speaking of joints... I've bloody gone and done my knee in mountaineering last week, and I've got a bloody RAF Fitness Test on Monday. NOT HAPPY!
                              Some people swear by glucosamine, might be worth a try if you don't mind swallowing horse pills
                              sigpic

Comment

Some people swear by glucosamine, might be worth a try if you don't mind swallowing horse pills
                                The way glucosamine works, you have to build up enough in your system over an extended period of time. For me, I took about 1500 mg a day over a period of 7 weeks. According to the instructions, that's the minimum mount of time required to have it build up in your joints. Sure enough, after around 7-8 weeks my knees and overall performance with my joints improved. Glucosamine won't do anything after just 7 days though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X