This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I don't like the oberblown response Israel gives to attacks.
    People fire rocks they respond with bullets or missiles. It's overkill.
    BS: If someone attacks you with lethal intent, you put them down if you're able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
      So you've had the dirty work done before you became Canada. It was still done, wasn't it?
      If you go back long enough we'll see cavemen clubbing themselves to death. Matter of fact, you've had the dirty work done before you became Israël. I don't think this is an argument Womble, it's just human nature.

The unfortunate fact is that pretty much every single country enjoying a monolithic identity - and consequent stability and tolerance for non-threatening minorities - is enjoying the fruits of bloodshed from its past. If you had a native Canadian minority of, say, 25-30%, a minority which was assertive - or even irredentist and actively pushing for more than a regional autonomy - your country would not have had such a squeaky clean rep even without hostile neighbors pushing on your borders and pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into igniting internal disputes in your society.
      Canada's ''minorities'' were the majority at the time. French Canadians and natives outnumbered Englishmen by a lot, more than 2:1, and we actually... lost the war, mostly because of strategic errors and the impossibility to match England's powerful military arsenal. That's before Canada became a country, a little over 150 years ago. Since then, there's been no wars or significant battles and it was put on paper literally that the Empire sought to assimilate us and destroy our culture.

How is it then that we are a nation today, with our own culture and ruling ourselves (almost entirely) and still speak French? We've also been that hostile neighbor, trying to become our own country twice (last referendum was lost by less than 1%), fought dearly for our rights with laws and protections to preserve our cultures, got rid of the religion from our deciding bodies and there are still to this day many political parties that are separatist in nature, similar to the Catalans in Spain. But we're still living, breathing and coexisting happily with Canada. We fill in all your criteria listed in this quote, yet no blood has been shed. You're wrong, it can and has been done.

Perhaps if Canada had locked us out, built a wall between Ontario and Canada, there would've been blood? Lock someone in a cage long enough and watch them become beasts. I think your mindset is based on the premise that coexistence is impossible with cultures different than your own, for fear of seeing it disappear or become assimilated.

The reason being geography and being a former British colony. You have it easy. You are spared even old Europe's diversity.
      Or, perhaps the reason is that our country is composed of a healthy mix of different cultures and origins that learned to deal with their differences and live under the same roof?

Want to talk about diversity?

Spoiler:
      How diverse is Canada?
      Nearly 6,264,800 people identified themselves as a member of a visible minority group. They represented 19.1% of the total population. Of these visible minorities, 30.9% were born in Canada and 65.1% were born outside the country and came to live in Canada as immigrants.

Israel is about 24%. We have much more diversity than you do, so, no.

Learn what? Should we have asked the British to cleanse the area before the state of Israel was founded? It would certainly make Israel more stable internally... well, except the British were too busy keeping Jewish immigrants in internment camps on Cyprus.
      Holding on to the errors of the past is the justification tyrants give to go to war. Obviously reconciliation can't happen if just one side participates, but one side has to do the first step.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Here's a nice little opinion piece that explains the rise of Trump and similar sentiments in other countries as well.

And it's a good part of why Trump got elected, and why he's got a good chance of winning re-election.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ry_140551.html

One important paragraph:

One common gripe framed all these diverse issues: The wealthy had the means and influence not to be bothered by higher taxes and fees or to avoid them altogether. Not so much the middle classes, who lacked the clout of the virtue-signaling rich and the romance of the distant poor.

In other words, elites never suffered the firsthand consequences of their own ideological fiats.

Comment

A good opinion piece has facts to back up their argument not conspiracy. Besides everyone knows Trump got elected because Putin wanted it
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Bacon is a conspiracy in your eyes.

Comment

Oh boy..

But your dear leader is not stable or a genius.

Describe to me in one word what kind of leader won't accept the election result if they lose. Please go do that.

Also he wants to cling to power and extend his term which I believe is unconstitutional. Are you happy with that? You like leaders like that do you?
              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Bacon is delicious which is a fact. That is the opposite of a conspiracy
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Guys I found the correct link. I think Annoyed meant to use this "piece".

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/u...aign-help.html
                  Spoiler:
                  I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Doubtful. Trump calls them failing and fake news. Its been proven Annoyed is a Trump yesman
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Bacon is delicious which is a fact. That is the opposite of a conspiracy
                      Since when can't a conspiracy be true?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                        and why he's got a good chance of winning re-election.
                        again with this bull****?

everyone knows King Don's government will just rig the next elections so talking about "reelection chances" is just hypocrisy
                        why not talk about Putin's reelection chances while you're at it?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                          Oh boy..

But your dear leader is not stable or a genius.

Describe to me in one word what kind of leader won't accept the election result if they lose. Please go do that.

Also he wants to cling to power and extend his term which I believe is unconstitutional. Are you happy with that? You like leaders like that do you?
                          If he loses, he will be out.

And look who's talking about not accepting the outcome.

Of course, if he wins, many people will be convinced that he won by cheating. look where we are now; 2+ years down the road from 2016, and the left/Democrats STILL can't accept that they lost in 2016; they are still trying to undo the result of that election. It never even enters their mind that enough of the people didn't like their ideas that they lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            If he loses, he will be out.

And look who's talking about not accepting the outcome.

Of course, if he wins, many people will be convinced that he won by cheating.
                            You do realize that while you deny this, Trump confirms it?

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Guys I found the correct link. I think Annoyed meant to use this "piece".

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/u...aign-help.html
                            Case closed?
                            Spoiler:

Comment

I think he is grieving Chaka. We have already seen denial be and anger
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X